Pepakura Is it possible to use foam on Pepakura?

Hekok

As I tried to add more detailing in Blender for an armor I'd like to make, I realized not everything could be used with purely pepakura. Instead I'll try to add the extra detailing with foam, but is it possible to glue the foam on cardstock before I cover it in fiberglass resin?

Last edited:

Cadet

Executive Officer & RCO
Division Staff
405th Regiment Officer
You could, however, to minimize warping, sagging, or shifting of the piece, I recommend resining and fiber-glassing the base piece first, and then adding your details.

xXDashIVXx

This is a good alternative, but if you are really picky and want a perfect finish, I recommend using plastic, or "sculpting" it out if bondo or whatever you are using as the filler.

Hekok

Well you see, I'm going to try hardening it with the rondo process (y'know, fiberglass resin goes first, then use the rondo mixture, then coat it with layers of bondo). With that being said, in what step could I glue the foam to?

This is a good alternative, but if you are really picky and want a perfect finish, I recommend using plastic, or "sculpting" it out if bondo or whatever you are using as the filler.
As for this here, I prefer doing it with foam first as I also plan to cover this with a layer of bondo after covering it in resin. If I were to sculpt it completely in bondo, it'd take me a long while to get it right as I'd like it, especially when it comes to the smaller details.

Montique

Honestly, I'd say just make the whole thing out of foam to begin with. It's faster, easier, lighter, and you can add little detail at pretty much any stage in the build.