Pepakura Is it possible to use foam on Pepakura?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hekok

As I tried to add more detailing in Blender for an armor I'd like to make, I realized not everything could be used with purely pepakura. Instead I'll try to add the extra detailing with foam, but is it possible to glue the foam on cardstock before I cover it in fiberglass resin?

Last edited:
You could, however, to minimize warping, sagging, or shifting of the piece, I recommend resining and fiber-glassing the base piece first, and then adding your details.

This is a good alternative, but if you are really picky and want a perfect finish, I recommend using plastic, or "sculpting" it out if bondo or whatever you are using as the filler.

Well you see, I'm going to try hardening it with the rondo process (y'know, fiberglass resin goes first, then use the rondo mixture, then coat it with layers of bondo). With that being said, in what step could I glue the foam to?

This is a good alternative, but if you are really picky and want a perfect finish, I recommend using plastic, or "sculpting" it out if bondo or whatever you are using as the filler.
As for this here, I prefer doing it with foam first as I also plan to cover this with a layer of bondo after covering it in resin. If I were to sculpt it completely in bondo, it'd take me a long while to get it right as I'd like it, especially when it comes to the smaller details.

Honestly, I'd say just make the whole thing out of foam to begin with. It's faster, easier, lighter, and you can add little detail at pretty much any stage in the build.

how to turn a pepakura file into foam
Is that a question?
"How do you convert a Pepakura File into a Foam Optimized File?" Is that what you mean?

I want to make Kelly's helmet in Eva foam

Well, first thing, I am going to just take a second to recommend you familiarize yourself with the common internet etiquette associated with Message Boards or Forums. For example, what you have done here is called a "Double Post," making two posts within a minute of each other, in the same thread, that are not contributing anything to the topic at hand . This is not highly thought of, as it is bordering on "Spamming" the thread.

A message board is a text based media, and what really sets it a part from a comment section on a Social Media platform is that Forums and Message Boards are not really an "instantaneous" communication platform. This Forum in particular, with its primary goal of sharing knowledge and teaching skills is designed for people to take the type to ask and answer questions. Because we are communicating through a text based media, people need to be clear in their questions and answers. It is just as important that Someone else has to be able to read your question and understand what it is you are asking for, as it is for you yourself to be able to read my answer and understand what I am telling you or describing to you.

This InfoGraph is actually designed for College "Discussion Boards" but many of its principles apply to Online Communities like this one. I recommend taking the time to review it.
Netiquette-Online-Discussion-Boards-infographic.png

As for Kellys armor, the 405th relies on the contributions of its members for the files we freely offer in "The Armory." We are a collection of fan volunteers, this is not anyone's job, so we can only offer those files that our members have made and then donated for use to the community. For Kelly's Halo 5 Armor, the Hermes set, we have Foam Optimized of every component, except for her Helmet, unfortunately:

It is not an exact match, but some members have used the Orbital Helmet with their Kelly builds, which we do have unfolded files for:

A technique that I've seen performed by Kamui Cosplay that might work for you is to assemble the pepakura file using only paper, then once you have the physical piece, examine it and cut it out again into pieces that are more suitable for foam.
That way you can adjust the patterns and seams once you can see the actual build, and also find areas where you can use the thickness of the foam for indents, details, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back