Is really needed the exacto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For lower definition peps, like Robogenesis' MkVI suit, an exacto knife isn't really necessary, and scissors may do, as long as you're accurate. For higher detail peps however, I would say it's almost completely necessary.

If you can cut your pep properly and accurately with the scissors, I don't see why you'd need an exacto. If it works, continue doing it.

I'm using scissors right now because I don't have an exacto... but is it really needed??

I wouldn't say it's "absolutely necessary", but very helpful. I flip mine over (and use a metal ruler) to score my mountain and valley folds. It really comes in handy, in more ways than one!!!

Yeah I hear a lot of people love to use an exacto, but I've always just used scissors. But as posted above, it depends on how good you are using them :]

I'm an exacto guy, but if you are that good with scissors, go for it. I would only suggest you get a really good pair of scissors.

I agree with the exacto users. I tried scissors at first, but once I tried the exacto I never went back. Once I got the finesse with the blade I started using it freehand and its such a time saver over using rulers, pens and scissors.

I started using the exacto freehand to cut my pieces but I'm still nervouse to use it to score because I'm afraid of cutting through the paper. I assume you use very little force.

I suggest using the non-sharp side of the blade for scoring. It still has the sharp point, but less chance of actually cutting through your paper. And you can always, you know, practice on some part of the paper that doesn't have a part on it.

I've built my HD pep armor with nothing but scissors and tacky glue. No rulers, exacto knife or anything. So its not impossible to do it with scissors, depends on your skill with them and how sharp they are. My scissors went dull twice during the build. Amazing how paper can eventually dull metal blades.

I have tried both methods, Scissors and eXacto. I found that using the exacto was by far the better tool for this project.
Here is a list of the benefits that I learned when comparing it to scissors:
- Better accuracy
- Faster cutting time
- As mentioned above. Can score the folds
- Can cut holes with ease
- Can cut tiny high detailed areas with ease
- Can use a ruler to help assist with getting that perfectly straight cut.

Down side:
- My fingers got blisters for the first few days into the project. Solution upgraded to a more expensive eXacto (better grip)
- I go thru blades quite a bit. Used 7 blades so far. Cutting off the tip when its dull, saved me from having go to thru 4x or more that number.

Im sure that there are more benefits/down sides to this. But again this is what I found out when I tried both methods.

Hope that helps. :)

I use scissors but for more complicated pieces I use scotch precision cutter, it has a tiny ceramic tip at the end, and it looks like a neat pen.

I've used scissors for everything. Mines turning out pretty good, its just you gotta be more careful. I tried using an exacto knife and hated it. It took me foreever, and it just didnt go over well for me. I really think its up to you, you can do it how you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back