Is this an appropriate Casting Material for Helmets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

So I need to cast 12 helmets but I need material that is cheap but hard so it doesn`t break. I found this http://www.sculpturesupply.com/detail.php?id=796880&sf=category&vl=Liquid+Plastics the mix ratio is 1:5. Is it me or does it sound like I would run out of part B and have some of part A left over? I need some help with this due to the fact I lack knowledge of Casting. Is this material good? Any problems with the mix ratio? If you know of something better please do tell. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for clearing that up. I was stressing out about it lol. But what about the 1:5 mix. Would I run out of Part B a lot faster? Also would I need to only slush cast the helmet once or multiple times? It says its strong but I don't know how thick it would be.

As for the mix, just buy more Part B. For thickness, only you can decide that. Just make sure that during casting you make sure it is solid enough before you take it out.

Ok thanks for the help. Also one last thing. what is Pot Life and Demold time mean?

Pot life is the amount of time the material should stay usable in the 'pot' before becoming unusable.
Demold time is the amount of time that is recommended one need wait until taking the cast out of the mould, IE the curing time + extra time for caution.

Usually, they will supply your Parts a/b in the proper ratios. So if you order a 1 pint kit of 321, you will get a pint of each part. If it calls for 1a/5b then they should send it to you in that ratio. No waste if you weigh it properly. I prefer the 1:1 ration stuff myself.

There's no such thing as "cheap but good" in prop making. If you need durable helmets, it's worth paying for. For casting 12 helmets, you would probably need nearly 2 gallons of resin- I think I just bought some smoothon 65-d for 85 bucks a gallon. So 85x2=170 dollars divided by 12 is a cost of only 14 dollars per helmet (in resin). That's cheap, and a known and durable product.

Its cheap until you factor in time and the cost of silicone and mother mold material that is.

i wouldn't go with the 385 because of its 2 hour demold time, go with 320 (10 minutes and not too hard to roto cast with) or 65-d. 65 is more flexible as a finished product, but that makes it more resistant to cracks, and when you are making the casts, it is more viscous and tends to cling to the surface of your mold easier, yielding a more consistent wall thickness.

also, both are 1:1 mix ratio so you don't need a scale. I prefer 65-d for roto casting personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back