is this ok??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizander

Active Member
i finally got a respirator, and i'm still rounding up the supplies for fiberglassing, and i'm planningto fiberglass my robogenesis beta models. (nice and easy to start with) I'e seen on this site that you need to work in a well ventilated area. is this with a respirator? or is it ok to fiberglass in a small shed heated with a heater, in the middle of winter with just a respirator, goggles, gloves and old clothes?? thanks guys.
 

AoBfrost

Well-Known Member
Leave the door open while you resin and glass, then turn on the heater and shut the door, you'll be fine, I'd say even without the respirator you'd be ok since your technically outside, but in a small enclosed shed with a open door which does exchange fresh air. But you're good to have bought one, better to be safe then find out you are sick 2-3 weeks later because of the resin fumes.
 

lizander

Active Member
AoBfrost said:
Leave the door open while you resin and glass, then turn on the heater and shut the door, you'll be fine, I'd say even without the respirator you'd be ok since your technically outside, but in a small enclosed shed with a open door which does exchange fresh air. But you're good to have bought one, better to be safe then find out you are sick 2-3 weeks later because of the resin fumes.
thanks, i'm actually borrowing it, but whatever. I might leave the heater on though because in winnipeg, its usually minus 40 celsuis. thanks for replying so quicklyAobfrost.


~ Lizander
 
Last edited by a moderator:

crackhead09

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
well i live in florida and i love the fact its gotten colder so that way the resin doesnt turn in to "jelly" on me but in your case i wouldnt turn on the heater till all the fiberglass is laid down and be careful about the heat because if i remember right resin is extremly flammable so yeah you dont want your project going up in flames
 

lizander

Active Member
crackhead09 said:
well i live in florida and i love the fact its gotten colder so that way the resin doesnt turn in to "jelly" on me but in your case i wouldnt turn on the heater till all the fiberglass is laid down and be careful about the heat because if i remember right resin is extremly flammable so yeah you dont want your project going up in flames
oh. I had no idea that resin was flammable. I'll have to be a little more careful. Thanks how come I should wait until the fiberglass is laid to turn on the heater? I'm going out now to get my chrsitmas tree so don't expect a reply till much later on in the day. (we're cutting it down!!!)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

crackhead09

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
so that way it doesnt start to cure while your working with it because once it becomes "jelly" it doesnt like to work and when its cold out it cant cure
 
You should wear old clothes,gloves, and respirator like you said, but your respirator isn't a gas mask i imagine so you will want the door of the shed open, cuz if you pass out from the fumes people might not find you easy in a little closed shed. So i vote keep the door open or if not that, have a GOOD source of ventilation, like a fan blowing out the air in a window in your shed if you have one. The winter is a pain i know my friend, i'm dealing with it right now, i have to let my bondo cure inside or the cold would make it crack if i left it in my garage.
Anyhow, be safe man! Good luck!

-The J-Man
 

lizander

Active Member
tonsofhoopla said:
You should wear old clothes,gloves, and respirator like you said, but your respirator isn't a gas mask i imagine so you will want the door of the shed open, cuz if you pass out from the fumes people might not find you easy in a little closed shed. So i vote keep the door open or if not that, have a GOOD source of ventilation, like a fan blowing out the air in a window in your shed if you have one. The winter is a pain i know my friend, i'm dealing with it right now, i have to let my bondo cure inside or the cold would make it crack if i left it in my garage.
Anyhow, be safe man! Good luck!

-The J-Man


thanks alot, but I'm not sure if i can work on it for a while because I got grounded ( stayed up too late working on my armor, and well when your 14 your parents still rule. oh well, what cna I do?? I'll probably get ungrounded during christmas break) .
 
Last edited by a moderator:

death

Member
Lol being grounded sucks. I'm 15 and I'm actually not supposed to be on the computer :whistle: but i need to be able to get information, so i sneak on when my parents are out. I'm dealing with winter too. I found that in the unfinished room of the basement, if i turn the house's heat up to about 68 F and put an electric heater in there and open the 2 windows for ventilation, even though its 22 F outside, it miraculously stayed around 58 F in the room. I called the hot line on the can of resin and they said it needed to be at least 55 F for the resin to cure.
 

lizander

Active Member
death said:
Lol being grounded sucks. absoluty. I called the hot line on the can of resin and they said it needed to be at least 55 F for the resin to cure. do you know how hot that is in celsius??
 
Last edited by a moderator:
death said:
Lol being grounded sucks. I'm 15 and I'm actually not supposed to be on the computer :whistle: but i need to be able to get information, so i sneak on when my parents are out. I'm dealing with winter too. I found that in the unfinished room of the basement, if i turn the house's heat up to about 68 F and put an electric heater in there and open the 2 windows for ventilation, even though its 22 F outside, it miraculously stayed around 58 F in the room. I called the hot line on the can of resin and they said it needed to be at least 55 F for the resin to cure.
I could bust out my formula from AP physics OR I could use Google. :cautious: Google it is.
55 degrees F is 12.7 Repeating in Celsius.

There yah be.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top