Okay... for real this time. Mark VII build!

Update: Got a successful print!

View attachment 348809View attachment 348810View attachment 348811View attachment 348812
There's still a bit left to be desired in both the print quality and my Dremel work, but other than that? I'm pretty happy with it! The piece is extremely lightweight and has very few visible layer lines. I'll be doing a bit more clean up before the coating goes on.

On another note, I'm thinking of trying a semi-rigid epoxy coating (Epsilon PRO) to see if I like that better than the UreCoat. I'll print out a smaller piece, such as a kneepad, to test the two coatings on.
That looks astounding. That Varioshore finishes beautifully - almost looks like EVA foam. How do you plan to go about smoothing whatever visible layer lines there are?

Wishing you very good luck with the eva foam forming. The part of me that knows how much work this stuff is really wants that to succeed. The part of me that is, as we speak, doing rubber pulls from molds of parts of my suit while contemplating doing the same with silicone for my undersuit wants to see how yours turns out if that's the way it goes..... Great work so far tho!
Edit: As an aside, what did you do the scan of your body with, and did you do the lattice/shrink in blender? I'm looking to do basically that, would love some pointers.

Hiya! It's been a minute, so I should go ahead and update. I've been doing some further testing of the Varioshore + Epoxy process on my ODST reprint, and I've learned a few things.

1. The Varioshore, as beautiful as the surface finish is, can be messy at times. I often get small, thick strands of ooze/overflow on the surface, which I've found I'm unable to eliminate or even reduce regardless of how I alter my print settings.
2. The Epoxy (Epsilon Pro) works just as desired! It's quite flexible in thin coats and gains rigidity with additional layers. Two coats is usually enough for me.
3. The Varioshore does not play nice with small, indented details when foamed. Because of this, I'll either be reducing the temperature or using a standard TPU filament (such as Overture high-speed, thanks to DeltaAlphaZulu for the recommendation) for smaller and more detailed parts.

I'll post some photo updates once I get more filament in.

Wishing you very good luck with the eva foam forming. The part of me that knows how much work this stuff is really wants that to succeed. The part of me that is, as we speak, doing rubber pulls from molds of parts of my suit while contemplating doing the same with silicone for my undersuit wants to see how yours turns out if that's the way it goes..... Great work so far tho!
Edit: As an aside, what did you do the scan of your body with, and did you do the lattice/shrink in blender? I'm looking to do basically that, would love some pointers.
I'd love to see how your rubber casting goes! My body scan was done with a handheld scanner by a local 3D design business. I used a combination of the shrinkwrap and lattice modifiers to alter the undersuit models.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back