I've Never Used Hot Glue In My Life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leda

I never really worked with anything that would possibly need hot glue, but since I'm making my first armour, I went out and bought a hot glue gun, and am now wondering.
Since I've so far only used superglue (which is a pain in the BUTT at the moment with pepping, with fingers sticking together or on paper..., or it not being glued on correctly then needing to rip everything off...), maybe it's time to step on out to hot glue...?

Any uh... help/suggestions on what kind of folds to use it on, or anything in the midst of that?

Um...pretty much, it works on any fold really, except sharp valleys, those can be tricky. Just put a small dollop on the flap, and you've got about 4 seconds to press it where it needs to go and walla, about 2 seconds later it's solid. Good luck!

I usually add a very small drop and smooth it out with the tip of the gun. I very rarely ever get any on my fingers. If you are getting it on your fingers you are using way too much glue. The glue will be spread very thinly and will cool quickly.

On the off chance you do get some on your fingers, its a good idea to have a can of compressed air handy, turn the can upside down and spray a very small amount on the burning area, it will quickly cool it down and if you do it quickly enough, no blisters will ever pop up.

Its also a good idea to have 2 different glue guns, the one you will be using on the parts will be one that takes the very small glue sticks and is a high temperature gun. The other one will take the larger sticks and you will use it for larger projects. The one that takes the smaller sticks will be easier to apply the smaller amounts of glue and will be more finger friendly.

Really, just heat up the gun add a little glue,but no so much that it oozes everywhere and press the flaps together. Mind your fingers don't get burnt generally the more glue the more time it takes to dry and the less glue the faster it dries. If it dries too fast I usually wipe the ecxess off the tip (I have a rubber pad for it to sit on and I use that) the rub the tip over the inside (and sometimes outside) of the piece over the flap that dried wrong after less than a minute the glue remelts and you can move the piece. Comes in really handy.

Here. this may help as well.
<a href="http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18944" target="_blank">
Click here!
</a>

Hot glue is where it's at, and the glove shown in the link help a lot.

Elmer school glue work the best (in my opinion)
Superglue is very very very very stick and drys to quick. Only use it when absolutely necessary.

whenever i use hot glue to pep i have a soldering iron next to me in case i glue something wrong. that
way i can just remelt the glue super quickly and fix it

when using hot glue i awlays add a little extra and sqeeze really hard then wip the excess away with my finger. and if it burns then just rub your fingers togethor and it will cool quickly and you throw the ball away.

Make sure your glue gun is hot enough, I was working with a cheap mini one that didn't heat the glue enough, the glue would dry in less than two seconds and made it very difficult to place the tabs correctly.

Im a superglue guy myself. I just test fit it together and then line the numbers up instead of the corners and ive always had good results.

I would actually recommend plain Elmer's glue. It takes a few seconds longer than hot glue, but poses no threat to your hands and is very clean and neat. You also get a good amount of time to work with it or get rid of the attachment if it doesn't seem right to you.

I'd recommend getting a nice, regular sized bottle of Elmer's, and a few toothpicks. Dip the toothpick just barely into the bottle, so that only the very tip has glue on it. Then, spread it as thinly as possible on the tab (which is actually faster than dropping it all over the paper), then attach the tab to its receiving end and get it into the best position you can in the 20-30 seconds of working time. It dries quickly once you stop moving it and apply a little pressure, only around 5-10 seconds, and is cleaner and easier to adjust than hot glue or super glue. (Credit to Ral Partha for that)

Try hot glue and Elmer's on simple pieces such as handplates to see which one feels right for you. That seems to be the best decider on what type of glue to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back