Jackal Costume Complete

Which covenant should I build next?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been pretty good at looking in there, or so I thought. I guess not. Loving the paint job on it though. Crazy amount of work going into this.

Horgh said:
Interesting stuff, could have made the leg/feet/extensions a big longer though.

Didn't want to risk falling on my face. They're hard enough to walk in, especially with the poor visibility the mask gives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, y'all.

It's been waaaaay too long since I've last updated. And that's because I've been tremendously busy with school. Spring break gave me some time to work on this. Hopefully as my major school projects wind down I'll have more time and be able to update more often.

I'm kind of tired of uploading craploads of pictures so here's another video for you guys. Enjoy! :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51MY4vMYdc[/media]

Epic!!! Holy cow... This is really amazing. You don't really see a lot of Covenant builds around here, and you really don't see any "skin" work like what you're doing. It's really awesome.

I've missed this thread so far, but I'm definitely watching closely now.

I think we definitely need to see a video of you with both pieces of the head on. That lower jaw looks beautiful, and moves so nicely.

Achille said:
I think we definitely need to see a video of you with both pieces of the head on. That lower jaw looks beautiful, and moves so nicely.

You know, I've had a few requests for this...

But with ACEN less than two weeks away I'm thinking I'll just wait until then. :) So a little bit longer, everyone!

Oh and I've been working on coloring the shield. I've just started doing the little polygon details. I'm still waiting for the LEDs to come in the mail and am starting to get a little worried about that...It's still a WIP but here's a pic of it:

[attachment=16338:WIP shield.jpg]

OMG! How haven't I seen this? The shield looks very nice, TBH, I thought it was a screenshot, until I saw (lol sAW) the markers on the ground. :D

Awesome thread is awesome, this should be in the elite section IMO.

Plus it makes it more awesome, because no one has ever attempted a jackal before.

Best of luck with the rest of the suit I will be watching for updates.

smilie120 said:
Awesome thread is awesome, this should be in the elite section IMO.

Plus it makes it more awesome, because no one has ever attempted a jackal before.

Best of luck with the rest of the suit I will be watching for updates.

Well, I have seen a few people attempt it. I haven't seen a completed one, however.

I don't want to be the first, I just want to be the best :D (said without a shred of vanity, of course... :);; )

And I'm torn. I was thinking my next costume would be an honor guard elite...but then I was doing some research on the prophets...and I kind of want to make a prophet next instead. I mean, how fun would it be to craft the chair (it probably wouldn't hover though lol) and make the head/neck of the prophet and sew his robes, haha! So much fun! Oh...choices! My goal is to make one for each covenant alien someday. It'll take a long time to do, but oh man. It's gonna be so much fun!

I've tried to make sketches of the other covie ideas I have. Because I'm so excited, I'll go over them for a minute:

Grunt: Complete

Jackal: Near complete

Elite: I'll be making an honor guard. Pretty sure about that. Or Arbie. it's so hard to choose! I kind of want to make a humorous sign for each of these guys to hold. The elite could have a "looking for work" sign. The hunter could have like a sign seeking a mate, the prophet could be holding one of those signs like those really religious people do when they stand on corners. :) so much fun! The elite will have stilts, although slightly different, and some kind of puppetry inside the head for the jaws to move.

Hunter: This one I expect will take two years to complete. My boyfriend keeps bothering me and saying he wants to make one too, but he doesn't like the fact that ours will not look the same, since I have more experience. But I hate doing things twice and plus, I think he should learn the costuming process himself. The other issue is scale. I'm 5'4", he is 6' 4". So we would have to adjust the parts of the hunter body for proportion. Other than that, I have some great ideas sketched out for some slick puppetry involved. It's gonna be faaaabulous. And completely frightening. :) But I may save this costume for later on, due to size and space constraints.

Prophet: This guy will be so much fun! Ideally I would make it so that I could hop out of the chair, though depending on how I give the illusion of hovering will depend on if I can actually hop out or not. Regardless, it will be awesome. I'm gonna make him creepy as hell!

Brute: I already know that I want to do Tartarus. Why? Well, I hate brutes, and I hate Tartarus. But I loooove his beard. How much fun will it be to make his white beard? It will be so COOL!

Drone: This one will be a little weird to do, but I have some ideas. Obviously the anatomy is completely impossible for me to get 100% accurate due to my not being skinny, but as always I will try and compensate for that with its general awesomeness. The wings will be so much fun to make! I'm thinking it would be cool if I could add a mechanism to allow me to get the wings to extend out.

Engineer: This one is gonna be probably one of the more challenging. This is due to the fact that they hover, of course. Aside from that it won't be too hard. A lot of sewing, perhaps, which isn't one of my favorite things to do, so I'll end up hot gluing it :p

Skirmisher: Not going to do this one for a while since it's too similar to the Jackal and I am tired of working on the Jackal. But I will do it. I love their feathers, and their necks remind me of frigate birds. So cool!

and for the hell of it,

Flood: Not sure what form I want to do but for sure I have an idea to make the little infection minion guys and give the illusion that they are running ahead of me at someone. I want to make it the creepiest costume of them all. It'll be so COOL!

They'll all be cool, who am I kidding?

Guys, sorry. I'm just really excited. I wish I had more time to work on them all, though. It'll just have to be slow and steady for now.

I'm so excited :)

So I'm working frantically tonight and tomorrow to finish my costume. I have very little left to go, and on Thursday I'll be taking it to ACEN in Rosemont, Illinois.

I have a question for people who have been on the boards longer. Am I allowed to start a new thread devoted solely to the pictures of the finished product? Or should I stick with this ol' thing?

I won't have them right away, since I'll be gone for the whole weekend and I plan on taking more photography-like pictures when I get home in the following week. But I'm asking in advance.

I am so exited and nervous! I've debuted my costumes before for halloween, but never at a convention! *shaking in her boots*

RFPnoodle said:
Well, I have seen a few people attempt it. I haven't seen a completed one, however.

I don't want to be the first, I just want to be the best :D (said without a shred of vanity, of course... :) ;; )

And I'm torn. I was thinking my next costume would be an honor guard elite...but then I was doing some research on the prophets...and I kind of want to make a prophet next instead. I mean, how fun would it be to craft the chair (it probably wouldn't hover though lol) and make the head/neck of the prophet and sew his robes, haha! So much fun! Oh...choices! My goal is to make one for each covenant alien someday. It'll take a long time to do, but oh man. It's gonna be so much fun!

I've tried to make sketches of the other covie ideas I have. Because I'm so excited, I'll go over them for a minute:

Grunt: Complete

Jackal: Near complete

Elite: I'll be making an honor guard. Pretty sure about that. Or Arbie. it's so hard to choose! I kind of want to make a humorous sign for each of these guys to hold. The elite could have a "looking for work" sign. The hunter could have like a sign seeking a mate, the prophet could be holding one of those signs like those really religious people do when they stand on corners. :) so much fun! The elite will have stilts, although slightly different, and some kind of puppetry inside the head for the jaws to move.

Hunter: This one I expect will take two years to complete. My boyfriend keeps bothering me and saying he wants to make one too, but he doesn't like the fact that ours will not look the same, since I have more experience. But I hate doing things twice and plus, I think he should learn the costuming process himself. The other issue is scale. I'm 5'4", he is 6' 4". So we would have to adjust the parts of the hunter body for proportion. Other than that, I have some great ideas sketched out for some slick puppetry involved. It's gonna be faaaabulous. And completely frightening. :) But I may save this costume for later on, due to size and space constraints.

Prophet: This guy will be so much fun! Ideally I would make it so that I could hop out of the chair, though depending on how I give the illusion of hovering will depend on if I can actually hop out or not. Regardless, it will be awesome. I'm gonna make him creepy as hell!

Brute: I already know that I want to do Tartarus. Why? Well, I hate brutes, and I hate Tartarus. But I loooove his beard. How much fun will it be to make his white beard? It will be so COOL!

Drone: This one will be a little weird to do, but I have some ideas. Obviously the anatomy is completely impossible for me to get 100% accurate due to my not being skinny, but as always I will try and compensate for that with its general awesomeness. The wings will be so much fun to make! I'm thinking it would be cool if I could add a mechanism to allow me to get the wings to extend out.

Engineer: This one is gonna be probably one of the more challenging. This is due to the fact that they hover, of course. Aside from that it won't be too hard. A lot of sewing, perhaps, which isn't one of my favorite things to do, so I'll end up hot gluing it :p

Skirmisher: Not going to do this one for a while since it's too similar to the Jackal and I am tired of working on the Jackal. But I will do it. I love their feathers, and their necks remind me of frigate birds. So cool!

and for the hell of it,

Flood: Not sure what form I want to do but for sure I have an idea to make the little infection minion guys and give the illusion that they are running ahead of me at someone. I want to make it the creepiest costume of them all. It'll be so COOL!

They'll all be cool, who am I kidding?

Guys, sorry. I'm just really excited. I wish I had more time to work on them all, though. It'll just have to be slow and steady for now.

I'm so excited :)

that being said, my grunt costume will be better than yours! :D, and after you finished your jackal, mine will also be better, MUHAHAHAHA!!! no but seriousley you're doing a great job on the shield, may i ask, paintbrush or all by hand?

please continue to post updates, i'll be knowing what to improve in mine! *evil maniacal laughter*

Noodle!!! That sheild is amazing in the photo! I too want to know the technique.

And I hop you post finished photos here. It's great to look back and the entire process and see how it all panned out. maybe you could put the photos in the first thread as a complete overview of the WIP.

I can't wait to see how this turns out!

HaloReplicas said:
that being said, my grunt costume will be better than yours! :D , and after you finished your jackal, mine will also be better, MUHAHAHAHA!!! no but seriousley you're doing a great job on the shield, may i ask, paintbrush or all by hand?

please continue to post updates, i'll be knowing what to improve in mine! *evil maniacal laughter*

Is it really a competition? srsly.

I should perhaps change my dealio to--I want to make it the best that I can make it at the time. Or, better than the costumes I see already made at the time. There's no realistic way I can make my costume "THE best evar". Because then I'd have to be remaking each costume every time someone one-ups me. And I've already remade my grunt, which was a lot of work, and it was ten times better than the first. If I remade it again, it would be even better. But that's boring. So I'm just going to do the best I can with each covenant and hope for the best.

But really, chillax.

Aside from that...paintbrush or all by hand?? I used my hand with a paint brush, if that's what you mean :p

Just see the pic of your jackal and they just blow me away. Your jackal suit is just to much awesome and wonderful.

You have my admiration.

Pat

That is the best jackel... ever! and that shield! I can honestly believe that it would work... you should be a jackel for operation chastity! Forget cg jackels! :p

Boba Fett said:
That is the best jackel... ever! and that shield! I can honestly believe that it would work... you should be a jackel for operation chastity! Forget cg jackels! :p

What's operation chastity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back