Jacksonville, Fl Gamestops

Status
Not open for further replies.
{Cortana said:
Does anyone think I should even bother dressing up?

It's up to you - I'm not. Unfortunately I can't find anything else going on in the area but I'm not going to reward Gamestop for these little shenanigans - I call BS on them and their little "line up and wait with the other wallets" ODST Non-Party. I'll just go in tomorrow and pick up my copy like the good little consumer I am and that will be it for Gamestop from me.

These "B&M" retail stores just don't seem to get it - if all they can offer is "Product A" at MSRP then why should I drive out there, wait in line, and buy it from them? Get smart, set yourself apart, create some excitement, give people a reason to shop at your store instead of over the interwebz and you may survive. Don't and you won't - it's really that simple...

/mini-rant

Last edited by a moderator:
DogWizard said:
It's up to you - I'm not. Unfortunately I can't find anything else going on in the area but I'm not going to reward Gamestop for these little shenanigans - I call BS on them and their little "line up and wait with the other wallets" ODST Non-Party. I'll just go in tomorrow and pick up my copy like the good little consumer I am and that will be it for Gamestop from me.

These "B&M" retail stores just don't seem to get it - if all they can offer is "Product A" at MSRP then why should I drive out there, wait in line, and buy it from them? Get smart, set yourself apart, create some excitement, give people a reason to shop at your store instead of over the interwebz and you may survive. Don't and you won't - it's really that simple...

/mini-rant

I am the husband of the game stop manager that you talked to today. I understand your frustration...however...only the huge stores get the employee hours and extra stuff to give away. Her store on S-side is one of the slowest stores in jax. if Game Stop HQ is calling and leaving you a message that says anything about "festivity's" then that is something to take up with them. Also, she as a mngr can not just tell you that it is ok to come in dressed up and be a part of the release without having prior approval from her district mngr...which she already did in case we found someone like yourself who is a 405th member with a full costume. My point here is that she can not make company policy without asking first. I am sorry that her store is not doing what you think should be done but lets face it....it is just a game release and it is up to the store mngr to spend there own money to buy things for the customers such as food and drink which she usually does. They allow you to get the game at the earliest legal release time, that is why it is a midnight release and you do not have to wait till the next morning at 9 am. AND BY THE WAY, IF YOU WERE TO COME IN WITH YOUR GEAR ON AND HANG OUT SHE WAS GOING TO HIGHLY DISCOUNT YOUR COPY OF O.D.S.T. SO YOU WOULDN'T BE DOING IT FOR NOTHING.

Well, I guess my Gamestop is one of the only ones that are actually doing something. There might be a mini station set up for the release, but they'll be trying their best to make it worth coming to. They actually went and called me (along with other customers) personally to see if we wanted to attend. I may or may not go in my Mark V, I'll have to see ...

- Adulese

I worked at EB back when I was in high school and it's a decent store but I mean really what's the incentive to stand in line for 2 hours when I can pick it up 9 hours later and not have to stand in line?

I understand what you're saying about your wife having to purchase anything that's given away at the release, but this problem like you said is a corporate policy problem not a local store one. Unfortunately Gamestop has pretty much become the Wal-Mart of game retail stores. There's one on almost every corner (except in Julington Creek, which is dumb because of all the money around here), but they almost have no personality anymore. They're all cookie cutter stores and they're looking at their bottom lines. Their bread and butter of revenue is used game sales not new game sales so either buy it new or go elsewhere. If you buy it used from Gamestop they probably gave some sap $25 for the game and are going to turn around and sell it for $55.

I don't mind waiting til tomorrow to get the game and I never pre-order anything. They realistically are going to have enough in stock and if they don't there's another store within 10 miles in this town. Just don't go to the midnight showing...I mean I'm sure your wife doesn't want to be there tonight either. She'd probably rather be at home sleeping. Send Gamestop corporate a message that if they're going to hold these events it's not to exploit the fans for it.

Honestly if I actually had armor I'd show up. I wouldn't expect to get paid anything for it because it's realistically about the fan base and building up the fans. I'd appreciate the discount offered but wouldn't expect any other compensation. Unfortunately all I have is my 405th hat, shirt, and lanyard. :p

DogWizard said:

/mini-rant

The bf and I have decided not to go, atleast not until after midnight to pick our copies. I'm just really saddened and disappointed by all this. :(

DARKSIDE_KNIGHT said:
I am the husband of the game stop manager that you talked to today. I understand your frustration...however...only the huge stores get the employee hours and extra stuff to give away. Her store on S-side is one of the slowest stores in jax. if Game Stop HQ is calling and leaving you a message that says anything about "festivity's" then that is something to take up with them. Also, she as a mngr can not just tell you that it is ok to come in dressed up and be a part of the release without having prior approval from her district mngr...which she already did in case we found someone like yourself who is a 405th member with a full costume. My point here is that she can not make company policy without asking first. I am sorry that her store is not doing what you think should be done but lets face it....it is just a game release and it is up to the store mngr to spend there own money to buy things for the customers such as food and drink which she usually does. They allow you to get the game at the earliest legal release time, that is why it is a midnight release and you do not have to wait till the next morning at 9 am. AND BY THE WAY, IF YOU WERE TO COME IN WITH YOUR GEAR ON AND HANG OUT SHE WAS GOING TO HIGHLY DISCOUNT YOUR COPY OF O.D.S.T. SO YOU WOULDN'T BE DOING IT FOR NOTHING.

No one is attacking the actual store clerks, we are just fed up with the corporate a**holes who decide it's not "worth" it to have small parties for their customers who have spent money at their stores. Don't get me wrong, I work at Subway, and I hate some of the decisions corporate makes because of how it effects some of our better customers.

{Cortana said:
The bf and I have decided not to go, atleast not until after midnight to pick our copies. I'm just really saddened and disappointed by all this. :(

No one is attacking the actual store clerks, we are just fed up with the corporate a**holes who decide it's not "worth" it to have small parties for their customers who have spent money at their stores. Don't get me wrong, I work at Subway, and I hate some of the decisions corporate makes because of how it effects some of our better customers.

I understand that, but DogWizard came into her store today asked about wearing his costume at the store tonight and she told him no problem come on in. Her being on the clock could not tell him at that time about the discount that she was going to give him on his copy of the game. And then I read this, him pissed cause she didn't tell him that there was going to be a huge party and he wasn't going to get all sorts of free swag.......just pissed me off a tad.

I understand that people are fed up with cooperate america as am I. but when Sony comes out with a new bad ass tv they don't have a midnight release and give away blue ray players. ODST is just a game, not even that, it is just a product and retail stores sell a product that we are willing to pay for. Shop where you want I don't care, just don't be offended that because you took the time to make a cool costume that just so happens to reflect a video game that you like that people don't just bow down to you and treat you like a god.

DARKSIDE_KNIGHT said:
I understand that, but DogWizard came into her store today asked about wearing his costume at the store tonight and she told him no problem come on in. Her being on the clock could not tell him at that time about the discount that she was going to give him on his copy of the game. And then I read this, him pissed cause she didn't tell him that there was going to be a huge party and he wasn't going to get all sorts of free swag.......just pissed me off a tad.

I understand that people are fed up with cooperate america as am I. but when Sony comes out with a new bad ass tv they don't have a midnight release and give away blue ray players. ODST is just a game, not even that, it is just a product and retail stores sell a product that we are willing to pay for. Shop where you want I don't care, just don't be offended that because you took the time to make a cool costume that just so happens to reflect a video game that you like that people don't just bow down to you and treat you like a god.

I was told by the clerks at our GameStop a few weeks ago that they were gonna have a party with lots of cool stuff. Then I came in today and now it's you get to stand in line for 2 whole hours! Wooooo. When we went to an ACTUAL release party for Halo Wars, we got all kinds of swag; t-shirts, wall stickers, we didn't have to stand in a line, and they had free soda and candy. You would think they would do the same for ODST. Yes, it is just a game, and we are all fans of the game(s). We make the costumes and armor because we want to show our love for the games, we don't make it so that people will worship us and give us free stuff. What does irritate us is when we are told one thing then given another. And, the stores don't have to be so uptight about us wearing costumes to help THEM out.

Also, if your problem is with DogWizard, maybe you should PM him instead of going off on his thread.

DARKSIDE_KNIGHT said:

OK - I understand what you are saying (and why you are saying it). Props to you for sticking up for her. Please remember that I did not call out ANY of the individual people or specific locations that I spoke with. I had ZERO intention of making this personal with anyone from either these forums or individual Gamestop employees.

I did not know that she was the store manager nor would it have mattered if I did. I was not rude, abrasive, profane, or negative in any way nor did I ask for payment, discounts, or anything of the sort. She said that I would not be paid (that was not why I was there) but she was also very courteous and polite and did inquire about the 405th. Unfortunately that didn't change the information that she had to work with. There were also customers present and I didn't want to interfere with business. I did accidentally call that same store later while I was calling around and spoke with a different gentleman who essentially gave me the same information. My little rant was (and is) directed at Gamestop the corporation. I am truly sorry that Gamestop (the corporation) left her and apparently all the other managers and stores out to swing in the breeze. It's not just her store - I called multiple locations in the area and received the same "we're not doing anything" answer.

As far as it being "just a game release" - no...no it's not. It stopped being "just a game release" when they hung the posters advertising the "Midnight Launch" in the window. It stopped being "just a game release" when Gamestop officially posted press releases and .pdf lists of all the participating stores in the major game-media channels. It stopped being "just a game release" when the employees told everyone to come in early at 10PM for the "party". It stopped being "just a game release" when I received a reminder call to be sure to show up at 10PM so I wouldn't miss any of the festivities.

It's fake corporate hype and if Gamestop had no intention of supporting it at the store level (where the actual customers are) then maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't have made such a big deal about it. This is not just another revamped Mario title for the DS, it's a major day-and-date release and they wanted all they hype and sales push they could generate, they just didn't want to actually do anything to earn it.

I'm very sorry if this has upset her, you, or any other employee of Gamestop. That was not my intent and I truly and sincerely apologize if this is the case. Please convey my apologies to her in my absence. I am also sorry that she is apparently on her own to develop, support, execute, and fund these corporate sponsored events with no corporate support - I think that is inexcusable. I appreciate her offer (as extended through you) in the spirit with which it was extended.

I will not apologize to Gamestop (the corporation). If anything, my opinion of them has dropped even more based upon your information. Judging from the general tone here, this is not an isolated issue and reflects more on Gamestop in general than on any specific store or individual employee.

It's a shame that we had to introduce ourselves like this, there are not a lot of us in Jax. I am generally a nice guy and fairly easy to get along with - sorry you had to catch me mid-rant. Please remember that my opinion is just that - my opinion - and in no way represents the 405th. I hope that we can separate the Gamestop issue from the 405th and move forward from there - welcome aboard!

-D

{Cortana said:
I was told by the clerks at our GameStop a few weeks ago that they were gonna have a party with lots of cool stuff. Then I came in today and now it's you get to stand in line for 2 whole hours! Wooooo. When we went to an ACTUAL release party for Halo Wars, we got all kinds of swag; t-shirts, wall stickers, we didn't have to stand in a line, and they had free soda and candy. You would think they would do the same for ODST. Yes, it is just a game, and we are all fans of the game(s). We make the costumes and armor because we want to show our love for the games, we don't make it so that people will worship us and give us free stuff. What does irritate us is when we are told one thing then given another. And, the stores don't have to be so uptight about us wearing costumes to help THEM out.

Also, if your problem is with DogWizard, maybe you should PM him instead of going off on his thread.

First of all, I tried to PM him before I posted here but his message box is full and it wont let me send it, Secondly I am sorry that a store promised you something and then it wasn't there for you. I to am a huge Halo fan and I am making my own costumes for the same reasons as you stated, but understand this....You are NOT helping game stop in any way by dressing up and coming in to the store for the release unless you purchase the game. Game Stop will sell just as many copies of the game with you there in your costume or not. Look....We all make this stuff because we enjoy it, no one asks us to and no one says that because we do that we are entitled to anything other than being able to wear our stuff when we choose to. I am not bashing anyone, just trying to put some info out there. you can blame Game Stop HQ for false advertising if you wish but do not jump on store employees as they do not have any power what so ever when it comes to setting up an event party or giving out free stuff. And on all of game stops marketing material it says "in select stores only" Again, I understand everyones frustration with the company, however I am good friends with members of the 501st (star wars group) and they jump at the opportunity to just be able to wear there gear in public, just to wear it is good enough for them so why shouldn't it be good enough for 405th members. The 501st has been around many more years than the 405th and there numbers far exceed those of the 405th. They don't have these petty issues and we should not either.

Wow talk about this all getting blown out of proportion. I appreciate DogWizard's point of view as well as yours Darkside_Knight. I feel a threadlock coming lol

all i have to say is, im going to universal city, citywal;k, so it better be good, i'll take pic, of the greatness, or disappointment, what ever happens first. lol.

PS, Tacos Rule!!!

DogWizard said:
OK - I understand what you are saying (and why you are saying it). Props to you for sticking up for her. Please remember that I did not call out ANY of the individual people or specific locations that I spoke with. I had ZERO intention of making this personal with anyone from either these forums or individual Gamestop employees.

I did not know that she was the store manager nor would it have mattered if I did. I was not rude, abrasive, profane, or negative in any way nor did I ask for payment, discounts, or anything of the sort. She said that I would not be paid (that was not why I was there) but she was also very courteous and polite and did inquire about the 405th. Unfortunately that didn't change the information that she had to work with. There were also customers present and I didn't want to interfere with business. I did accidentally call that same store later while I was calling around and spoke with a different gentleman who essentially gave me the same information. My little rant was (and is) directed at Gamestop the corporation. I am truly sorry that Gamestop (the corporation) left her and apparently all the other managers and stores out to swing in the breeze. It's not just her store - I called multiple locations in the area and received the same "we're not doing anything" answer.

As far as it being "just a game release" - no...no it's not. It stopped being "just a game release" when they hung the posters advertising the "Midnight Launch" in the window. It stopped being "just a game release" when Gamestop officially posted press releases and .pdf lists of all the participating stores in the major game-media channels. It stopped being "just a game release" when the employees told everyone to come in early at 10PM for the "party". It stopped being "just a game release" when I received a reminder call to be sure to show up at 10PM so I wouldn't miss any of the festivities.

It's fake corporate hype and if Gamestop had no intention of supporting it at the store level (where the actual customers are) then maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't have made such a big deal about it. This is not just another revamped Mario title for the DS, it's a major day-and-date release and they wanted all they hype and sales push they could generate, they just didn't want to actually do anything to earn it.

I'm very sorry if this has upset her, you, or any other employee of Gamestop. That was not my intent and I truly and sincerely apologize if this is the case. Please convey my apologies to her in my absence. I am also sorry that she is apparently on her own to develop, support, execute, and fund these corporate sponsored events with no corporate support - I think that is inexcusable. I appreciate her offer (as extended through you) in the spirit with which it was extended.

I will not apologize to Gamestop (the corporation). If anything, my opinion of them has dropped even more based upon your information. Judging from the general tone here, this is not an isolated issue and reflects more on Gamestop in general than on any specific store or individual employee.

It's a shame that we had to introduce ourselves like this, there are not a lot of us in Jax. I am generally a nice guy and fairly easy to get along with - sorry you had to catch me mid-rant. Please remember that my opinion is just that - my opinion - and in no way represents the 405th. I hope that we can separate the Gamestop issue from the 405th and move forward from there - welcome aboard!

-D

DogWizard, thanks for that reply, No she is not pissed nor am I. She is buying pizza and cookies for her customers because she does feel that it should be an event not just a game sales day. I might be at the store tonight, not sure myself but would love to talk to ya.

Just a couple of quick things and then I'm done - you threw out what I feel are some unfair generalizations in your replies while I was typing my little apology novel. Just to be clear - I have my armor because I enjoy it, not because I expect people to pile on the "free swag" or "bow down and treat me like a god". I enjoy wearing it because it makes people (especially kids) happy and they are interested in seeing it (see DragonCon).

I was never "pissed" that I wasn't going to be the guest of honor at some huge party or get a bunch of free stuff. As a matter of fact, it never came up - I never asked for anything and she never offered. That's not why I do this and not why I'm here at the 405th...

DARKSIDE_KNIGHT said:
DogWizard, thanks for that reply, No she is not pissed nor am I. She is buying pizza and cookies for her customers because she does feel that it should be an event not just a game sales day. If you can give me a call at 537-9129 and we can introduce ourselves in a more personal way, hope to hear from ya, I might be at the store tonight, not sure myself but would love to talk to ya.

I'm glad that she decided to make this more of an event and I'm sorry that she has to spring for it herself. I'm also glad that there seems to be "no hard feelings" about this. I more than likely will not be attending (I'm just not sure it would be a positive experience at this point) but you never know. I'm not sure why the PM system still isn't working - I have plenty of space in my box...

Good Luck All!

DARKSIDE_KNIGHT said:
First of all, I tried to PM him before I posted here but his message box is full and it wont let me send it, Secondly I am sorry that a store promised you something and then it wasn't there for you. I to am a huge Halo fan and I am making my own costumes for the same reasons as you stated, but understand this....You are NOT helping game stop in any way by dressing up and coming in to the store for the release unless you purchase the game. Game Stop will sell just as many copies of the game with you there in your costume or not. Look....We all make this stuff because we enjoy it, no one asks us to and no one says that because we do that we are entitled to anything other than being able to wear our stuff when we choose to. I am not bashing anyone, just trying to put some info out there. you can blame Game Stop HQ for false advertising if you wish but do not jump on store employees as they do not have any power what so ever when it comes to setting up an event party or giving out free stuff. And on all of game stops marketing material it says "in select stores only" Again, I understand everyones frustration with the company, however I am good friends with members of the 501st (star wars group) and they jump at the opportunity to just be able to wear there gear in public, just to wear it is good enough for them so why shouldn't it be good enough for 405th members. The 501st has been around many more years than the 405th and there numbers far exceed those of the 405th. They don't have these petty issues and we should not either.

I apologize for anything I said that upset you. I was out of line in some of the things I've said. But please know that I was not trying to attack the store clerks. And what I was referring to with the "helping the stores out" was in reference to what Sean had happen to him.

I also love having any excuse to go out dressed up in costume, I just don't see the point of doing it just to stand in line for a few hours after getting my hopes up for a release party. That, and it's been pretty darn cold the last few nights...

Again, I'm sorry for anything I said that was upsetting.

I would like to extend a huge thanks to dogwizard for showing up at the game stop in full costume, the children that were there loved it and the adults got a kick out of it as well. I'm sorry if there were any hurt feelings by anyone, we are not hurt or upset at any of you. good luck with all your future dealings and have a very happy O.D.S.T. DAY.

Best wishes, DARKSIDE KNIGHT

Just a quick update - the short version is - I went!

I don't like leaving things on negative note so I decided that whatever my beef with GS corporate may be, there was no need to "stiff" a fellow forum member or his family. The people waiting there were very happy to see "The Chief" and the Grav Hammer was a success. Many pics were taken and I'm curious to see where they end up. Everyone introduced themselves and there were handshakes and smiles all around. Thanks to Darkside_Knight and his wife for a courteous welcome and the extra assistance.

I will post pics in the photo thread with their approval (they are face shots)...

Thanks again!

DogWizard said:
Just a quick update - the short version is - I went!

I don't like leaving things on negative note so I decided that whatever my beef with GS corporate may be, there was no need to "stiff" a fellow forum member or his family. The people waiting there were very happy to see "The Chief" and the Grav Hammer was a success. Many pics were taken and I'm curious to see where they end up. Everyone introduced themselves and there were handshakes and smiles all around. Thanks to Darkside_Knight and his wife for a courteous welcome and the extra assistance.

I will post pics in the photo thread with their approval (they are face shots)...

Thanks again!

dogwizard....The wife says thank you very much and please feel free to post the pictures that is fine with us, if you send us the pics as well she will put them up in her store. Thanks again, you were great.

Hey dogwizard, I still can not PM you. Just wondering if you got a chance to put the pics from Monday night on your PC. Mary is looking forward to seeing them and putting them up in Her store. On another note, my Recon Helmet is going well now, made some drastic mods on it to get it right but it's looking good.

Try and PM me on here and see if it works or e mail me at my addy on my profile page.

Take Care, Darkside.

I know it's the easy way out... but I pre-order all my games off Amazon. Now, if my work schedule permitted me to go to release parties I would be there like a nerd with a new pocket protector, but all pre-orders are done via internet. To avoid the masses, to avoid the headache, how ever it comes out nicely... but I give HUGE props to all who take the time and effort to show in costume (armor)! Dogwizard... you are great for showing in gear and with Hammer! In the end, isn't it about making the kids smile (as well as ourselves)? Kudos!

DARKSIDE_KNIGHT said:
Hey dogwizard, I still can not PM you. Just wondering if you got a chance to put the pics from Monday night on your PC. Mary is looking forward to seeing them and putting them up in Her store. On another note, my Recon Helmet is going well now, made some drastic mods on it to get it right but it's looking good.

Try and PM me on here and see if it works or e mail me at my addy on my profile page.

Take Care, Darkside.

Sorry - I just posted them. If she can track down any on the "customer pics" that would be great and I will post them with the rest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back