Jay's Skyrim Dova helm [COMPLETED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice work. Idea for the horns, but maybe try black washing the horns but with a dark brown maybe? I think a bit of a darker color in those crevices would make it look really awesome. Keep up the good work!

Yea thanks, I've already tried light horns with very dark washes, and dark horns with very light drybrushing, but neither is getting the result I'm looking for! Not to worry, I have one more card up my sleeve yet :p

I've been following this build for a while now and I'm quite impressed with the work you've done to date. The paint work is top notch so far. Great work!

Unrelated to the build: that is a well appointed home brew setup you're sharing your work space with. I'm a bit jealous of both it and the helmet!

Haha you may be talking about my father in law's wine making system? I think he had >400lbs of grapes this year that he's slowly cooking up so it smells pretty ripe in there right now, all the yeast and what not is fermenting.

Grrrrr... close up of the horns I'm still fighting with to get the desired texture & colour.

20131107_193633_zps2e46f536.jpg

Attachments

• 20131107_193633_zps2e46f536.jpg
    20131107_193633_zps2e46f536.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 210
Grrrrr... close up of the horns I'm still fighting with to get the desired texture & colour.

What paints are you useing? it might be a little far out but if your useing water based paints you could try some of the paints from games workshop. When i was still painting miniatures for a good bone look I would start with a basecoat of bleached bone then hit it with a thinned down wash of chestnut ink, then drybrush on some skull white to highlight some of the raised areas. It would make the details pop out a little bit more and if you dont use too much white you can still have that aged look. heck you can even mix a little skull white with some bleached bone so it still has that tan-ish bone look but still have the highlights. Or you could try a base of fortress grey and then i think a verry thin wash of black ink just in the resses and do a drybrush of white to give it more of a bleached look. Either way awesome helm, after you do your Iron Man build are you going to do a complete suit of armor to go with the helm?

What paints are you useing? it might be a little far out but if your useing water based paints you could try some of the paints from games workshop. When i was still painting miniatures for a good bone look I would start with a basecoat of bleached bone then hit it with a thinned down wash of chestnut ink, then drybrush on some skull white to highlight some of the raised areas. It would make the details pop out a little bit more and if you dont use too much white you can still have that aged look. heck you can even mix a little skull white with some bleached bone so it still has that tan-ish bone look but still have the highlights. Or you could try a base of fortress grey and then i think a verry thin wash of black ink just in the resses and do a drybrush of white to give it more of a bleached look. Either way awesome helm, after you do your Iron Man build are you going to do a complete suit of armor to go with the helm?

I'm actually just using $2 paints I got in the craft section at Walmart. The only issue I think I'm having is that I bought a black, gray, silver, brown and white. That's what I used for the metallic and the horns so far. I think I'm missing a yellow, which I may go get today. As you said 'bleached bone' has that kind of pale pastel look to it, so it's not really a white but more of a cream. I think that's the kind of thing I need to replicate.
I did have a fairly decent Warhammer craft collection but I moved from England to America a few years back and they weren't with the move :p So now I'm doing things on the cheap!

I did have a fairly decent Warhammer craft collection but I moved from England to America a few years back and they weren't with the move :p So now I'm doing things on the cheap!

They do sell Warhammer products here in the States as well (I've got a whole collection of Citadel paints myself). It's just a matter of finding a retailer. The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the brown on the horns was "Bleached Bone with a Chestnut Ink wash would look good."

They do sell Warhammer products here in the States as well (I've got a whole collection of Citadel paints myself). It's just a matter of finding a retailer. The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the brown on the horns was "Bleached Bone with a Chestnut Ink wash would look good."

Yeah it's more of a price thing. I remember them being about 3-4 dollars a piece in England, out here I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same prices. Plus I live in a tiny town and the closest games workshop is about 4 hours away :p I'm not patient enough, nor rich enough, to buy it online and wait for delivery!
Even so, here's the finished product :]
I learned a LOT making this, and can hopefully apply a lot of the lessons learned to my next project! So thank you all for the tips you gave throughout this build, and i look forward to seeing you all in the next!
20131108_130015_zpse44cec2c.jpg

20131108_130301_zps04b0d9cd.jpg

20131108_125719_zps34138a5d.jpg

Attachments

• 20131108_130015_zpse44cec2c.jpg
    20131108_130015_zpse44cec2c.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 215
  • 20131108_130301_zps04b0d9cd.jpg
    20131108_130301_zps04b0d9cd.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 203
  • 20131108_125719_zps34138a5d.jpg
    20131108_125719_zps34138a5d.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 208
Wow, if I hadn't read the thread I would never have guessed that this was a pep build.

As someone who has worked with bondo (and sworn never to again) I am always amazed at the results that can be obtained by someone with patience and the skill to work with it.

Fantastic work.

"I'm just a witness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back