Juliet's Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
juliet76 said:
How the hell did you deal with such a small tap getting broken in your piece BF?

It's actually still in the piece! :D I just bolted down over the top and cut & epoxied a screw head over it to make it look like nothing happened. But if I had the patience I suppose I could've taken it back out with a pair of pliers, but there wasn't much of it sticking back up out of that heart & I would've had to take the whole plate off to get it out.

As per my own workshop thread, I'm getting some pics together and it'll be up there soon hopefully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I haven't posted in here recently, I've been busy but I'm hoping that will change by the end of the month. ;)

So once I got shown how to use the lathe at work the first thing I thought was- "I could make a cool lightsaber hilt with this." Casting my mind back this was the first thing I made on the lathe and then I made the dead drop spike a little later.

The plan was to make a display piece that was a short saber like Yoda's.

Got to start somewhere. Usually the begining's the best place.

12-07-07_1105.jpg

12-07-07_1140.jpg

12-07-07_1141.jpg

The emitter end.

12-07-07_1147.jpg

Now for a larger drill bit!

12-07-07_1517.jpg

12-07-07_1519.jpg

Starting to take shape.

12-07-07_1601.jpg

12-07-07_1615.jpg

It turned out nothing like this plan.

12-07-07_2040.jpg

13-07-07_1412.jpg

13-07-07_1420.jpg

13-07-07_1941.jpg

An idea of the size.

13-07-07_1440.jpg

Reducing the O.D.

18-07-07_1550.jpg

Then I decided to put ribs along the body of the shaft. So I ground the shape I wanted into a square High Speed Steel bar (the U shape on the right).

16-07-07_0830.jpg

18-07-07_1609.jpg

18-07-07_1623.jpg

19-07-07_1016-1.jpg

I wanted to add some colour and so tried some heat sink on the ribbing.

19-07-07_1928.jpg

I didn't like the effect so I took it off.

I also needed some way to attach to a belt clip. Most of the sabers from the prequels used a mobile phone button/clip system, which I wasn't fond of but looked into something similar none the less.

On the left was my first design which I didn't like. On the right was my second design which I felt suited the shape of the rest of the saber hilt better.

Image003.jpg

Putting a thread on it in my old workshop.

Image008.jpg

Image007.jpg

I ended up not leaving enough meat on the shaft for me to get nice sharp threads. I figured I'd be able to counter this by leaving more meat in the mating hole and getting the thread as tight as possible.

Drilling the mating hole.

Image009.jpg

Tapping it. It was tight alright...

Image010.jpg

...So tight I broke the tap. :angry

Image011.jpg

It was a 5mm tap and after doing some research I found that Dremmel did a grinding stone with a 3mm OD. :D

Image0002.jpg

So I ground the tap out tidied it up...

And won the war!

Image0011.jpg

Image055.jpg

I took these just recently to show you guys where it finished at. I ended up putting o-rings in between the ribs to break up the silver.

fed8fb40.jpg

01ff6e42.jpg

0943893f.jpg

67f44336.jpg

61ff7744.jpg

e5bd3609.jpg

And that's that. ;)

Oh how i miss using lathes. I worked as a machinist while i was in college. Loved the personal touches you can put on pieces using conventional machinery. Is that stainless? It's very shiny, Bravo!

you guys are lucky my garage is a game room for my moms boyfriend. at my dads his garage is a shed and it is covred in big toys like 4 wheeler dirtbile lawnmower.so i used to have a spot in there for resin but now all that stuff is in there i have to do every thing outside in the wind. the worst thing is at mydads 2.66 acres is no trees =[.the only thing i do inside is pepakura modling. so you guys are lucky.

this is freaking awesome!!! you've got yourself a good costumer's self defense tool there, and umm I want to point out there isn't an activation stud, but this is freaking awesome!!! What was the exact type of steel you used?

Thanks everyone. Don't miss the point though that the lathe isn't mine it's works. And seeing as how I'm in charge of making sure all the work goes out I don't get to do stuff like that often. The hilt and the dead drop spike were both done around the same time two years ago and I haven't had a chance to have another play like that since. That's why my hope is to have the money together to buy my own by the end of the year, but I said that last year too. :p

JSwift said:
... Is that stainless? It's very shiny, Bravo!

Haissan Neiman said:
...and umm I want to point out there isn't an activation stud, but this is freaking awesome!!! What was the exact type of steel you used?

No need to point it out, I'm well aware of it. Lol. Ever since breaking the tap in there I've been "too busy" to finish it. In the mean time I just use my mastery of the Force to switch it on and off. :p

It's made out of 316SS and the high shine came from lots, and lots, and lots of polishing.

I've been looking through some old pictures and realised I do have other stuff to post in here. :)

What I consider the first build that I did was a wooden case for a pair of die cast metal cap guns. It was for a friend's son's 4th birthday and I went overboard. I made the case out of Tasmanian oak, came up with a back story about the origin of the guns and how they were supposedly possessed by the souls of two sons of gods that were warring with each other, how they came to be in my possession, and why I was giving them to him. I named them both and had the names engraved on brass plaques and placed them under each gun. The case was foam lined and all the hinges and fittings were also made of brass. Unfortunately I was not net or digital savvy at the time and took no pictures of it or the build at all.

Not too long after that I picked myself up a couple of Master Replicas awesome Force FX Lightsabers (which are no longer in production). Here they are in action (I'm wielding Vader's- if I need to tell you which colour that is then we don't need to talk to each other. Ever. :p)-

NanasB_day012.jpg

NanasB_day013.jpg

NanasB_day016.jpg

The hilts-

25-09-06_1812.jpg

Top- Anakin's (EP3). Bottom- Vader's (ESB)

I was living with some friends at the time who had three kids. We had a ball with the MR sabers but I wouldn't let them play with them without me (not at $250 Aust a pop). One day I walk outside to find them having imaginary lightsaber duels with brooms and mops. This gave me a cunning plan for Christmas presents.

I went off to my local hardware mega store and searched around for bits and pieces that would look good as lightsaber parts. I then went home with ideas and drew up some plans (excuse the picture quality, this was a long time ago on my first mobile phone with a VGA camera)-

25-09-06_2113.jpg

25-09-06_2112.jpg

25-09-06_2111.jpg

I ended up build four all up. One for me and one for each of the kids (of course I was going to play with them!).

Living with a mate had allowed me to save up some cash so I went overboard (again) when buying tools for the project. Sure I had a drill, but a drill press was better! Why sand by hand when you can use a linisher? lol. This was the beginings of my workshop and my desire for tools and to build things with them.

all4LS.jpg

LiamCalloway.jpg

JoeKyle.jpg

I researched the colours and in Jedi history there had once been many more colours then just blue, green, purple and red. Yellow had been common amongst Jedis in certain roles and I even managed to find mention of a black one in a piece of fan fiction, that was enough for me to do one for one of the boys who was a bit of a goth fan in it. I even went so far as to repeat sayings said by Jedis and Sith as they built their first sabers. :)

The blades were broom sticks and the hilts were tubing used for curtain rods with various irrigation fittings and other nick knacks glued on.

Here's mine closer-

27-09-06_1808.jpg

27-09-06_1809.jpg

27-09-06_1810.jpg

27-09-06_1811.jpg

27-09-06_1812.jpg

If only I'd known what a centre punch was back in those days lol, the holes I drilled would have lined up so much better. :p

And that was the second build I did. It was only four years ago but jeez it seems like so much longer. And the workshop has come so far.

I've still got other stuff to post here yet. I'll try not to leave it so long next time. ;)

juliet76 said:
I've been looking through some old pictures and realised I do have other stuff to post in here. :)

What I consider the first build that I did was a wooden case for a pair of die cast metal cap guns. It was for a friend's son's 4th birthday and I went overboard. I made the case out of Tasmanian oak, came up with a back story about the origin of the guns and how they were supposedly possessed by the souls of two sons of gods that were warring with each other, how they came to be in my possession, and why I was giving them to him. I named them both and had the names engraved on brass plaques and placed them under each gun. The case was foam lined and all the hinges and fittings were also made of brass. Unfortunately I was not net or digital savvy at the time and took no pictures of it or the build at all.

Not too long after that I picked myself up a couple of Master Replicas awesome Force FX Lightsabers (which are no longer in production). Here they are in action (I'm wielding Vader's- if I need to tell you which colour that is then we don't need to talk to each other. Ever. :p)-

NanasB_day012.jpg

NanasB_day013.jpg

NanasB_day016.jpg

I seem to recall, an interesting afternoon playing pool with those babies.

Must see if I can find the pictures :D

Hey everybody!

Sorry it's been so long in between posts in my threads but I'm hoping to have some more free time to spend on the forums again from pretty much now. :D

When I first started up this thread and showed everyone my workshop under the house there were a lot of comments about the open and airy design of Queensland homes, so when I saw a little piece talking about it at the Brisbane Museum I took a couple of photos of the display for you all.

BM2.jpg

BM1.jpg

There's also been some tool additions. I bought myself a table saw (sorry no pictures) and last father's day Linda spent too much money on me and got an awesome 12'' Pax tenon saw for me, not that we have kids but we do have a dog and she's a good enough excuse for each of us to get presents. :p

Picture024.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture030.jpg

Picture027.jpg

GDafi said:
I seem to recall, an interesting afternoon playing pool with those babies.

Must see if I can find the pictures :D

GDafi! I know you don't get on the 405th that often and you probably won't read this, but I can go better than that! I have dodgey videos of that afternoon! :D

th_Video002.jpg

th_Video000.jpg

I'm hoping to get back into 405th workshop projects very soon. Once I've completed a few of the blueprints I've been doing for the community that is. ;)

Woo! good to see you back on here! 'Course, I haven't been on the board much myself in the last month or so.

Awesome to see you back on the 405th. I love the saw and light sabers. It is also neat to see the pics of the reason for the space under the house.

Loess said:
Woo! good to see you back on here! 'Course, I haven't been on the board much myself in the last month or so.

It's good to have some time freed up to spend on here and on projects mate. I see you've had a little time to get on here though, the Big Sister's starting to come together very nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, and I'm hoping a big project like that may even lead into a pair of Hunters. Hmm? Maybe? ;)

LeeKegan said:
Awesome to see you back on the 405th. I love the saw and light sabers. It is also neat to see the pics of the reason for the space under the house.

I never really left Lee, I just watched you all without you knowing I was there. Mwwhahahahahaaa! :p

Horgh said:
Good lord - I would murder you just for your workshop

Lol, You could try Horgh! But polite requests would get you more time in the workshop. :D

juliet76 said:
It's good to have some time freed up to spend on here and on projects mate. I see you've had a little time to get on here though, the Big Sister's starting to come together very nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished, and I'm hoping a big project like that may even lead into a pair of Hunters. Hmm? Maybe? ;)

That's the plan... Annie's been enjoying that project so much that we're already doing some of the early planning for them. We probably have to wait till after the wedding to start them, though. But, this summer I'm going to be reworking our garage into a proper, insulated and heated shop for us to play in.

Well, this being the first time I've been back here in, uh... a while, lol, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one making a long-overdue appearance :)

You guys talk about your girls and work shops, and what do I have to talk about? Oh, wait... yeah, I've got a gf too, lol. Nevermind :p

As Mel and I have decided we're moving in together end of May, and she's given me free reign of the garage at the house for doing my prop projects in warmer weather (going to have to set it "just right" of course), hopefully I'll be doing much of the same as you fellas *does happy dance* :D

For now, though, all I've got is a tiny ol' fold-down table here in my matchbox-sized apartment for any prop work, and with my job situation being what it is, there ain't much happening :rolleyes

Anyway, enough hot air out of me, lol. Good to see you back on the 405th, my Aussie friend! Say hi to the Mrs. for me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back