just wondering what you guys use.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hell Razer

Jr Member
i was wondering what programs you guys use to make these files.

i see reference pics on the sides of some models and i want the programs that let you do this but i cant find them. i know its not sketchup but if you know what its called please let me know.

thanks

Blender is the program most people pick up because it is free (as far as I know) and has a growing library of artists and tutorials to pull info from.

Since most of the cg artists on here use it, I highly recommend it.

Blender is the program most people pick up because it is free (as far as I know) and has a growing library of artists and tutorials to pull info from.

Since most of the cg artists on here use it, I highly recommend it.

This is completely true. Blender is a great freeware 3D modeling program. After you develop the ability and want a premium modeling program, I would go with Autodesk's 3DS Max, but it costs a few thousand.

If auto desk is the same thing as maya, which I think it is, then you can get a student version for free. All it does is put a watermark over everything. I have no idea how useful it is for exporting files to pepakura designer though.

If auto desk is the same thing as maya, which I think it is, then you can get a student version for free. All it does is put a watermark over everything. I have no idea how useful it is for exporting files to pepakura designer though.

I happen to be one of those students who gets Autodesk's products for free (Autodesk is the company, they make AutoCAD, Maya, 3ds Max and a few others). I don't know if they handle this differently in other countries or if the procedure has changed, but from me they wanted proof of matriculation before allowing me access to their educational software.

I just tried using AutoCAD to make a pepakura cube, but the only object in the file was "deleted for data normalisation" and after that, "opening the file failed" (or something like that). I suppose that this generally works and that there was something wrong with my modelling... I've never done this before ;-)

Maya used to be owned by Alias but Autodesk eventually bought them.

Autodesk also bought out 3d Studio Max and mudbox. So they've pretty much been buying out everything.

The student version is decent, but when I went to school they still made you pay $$ for a 'student trial' that only worked for a limited time.

when I went to school they still made you pay $$ for a 'student trial' that only worked for a limited time.

Yeah, they still sell those. According to a description on ebay, you do need proof, but the license is not time limited - if that means you can install it again in twenty years is a different question I suppose. They also don't mention the watermark.

this still doesnt answer my question on how to get refrence pics into a modeling area so you can trace them so to say.

cant find the blasted things in blender....... ugh!!! this sucks. i should stick to modeling assassins creed blades..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back