Kanohi Miru (Bionicle Mask) - Life-size model

Status
Not open for further replies.

MagicTubaPixie

I've been lurking here for a while. I figured Kanohi Miru, the Great Mask of Levitation would be a good starter project, what with simple geometric shapes and low-detail (I am, after all, enlarging something small).
(Yes, it's this.)
Anyway, I started this project over my winter break for something to do (and I've always wanted a life-size Barnacle mask). I anticipated that it'd be mostly done by the time I headed back to school for the spring semester, but that's not entirely so.
I have the core materials all applied, which was really my goal (I was able to do so in the relatively safe environment of my parents' garage, where exposure to horribly toxic fumes was a minimum).
Here's some pictures! And by "some" I mean "a lot."

This is the first documentation of it. Disregard the yellow and purple thing and the "Vintage Cola" bottle. The yellow thing is the work-in-progress of this thing (my primary hobby is LEGO).
There is some wonky geometry in this stage, but I was able to get some of them out by heating up the resin'd mask. It's still not perfect, though.
8283697616_b06734e1ae.jpg

After I applied some resin, fiberglass, and bondo, I primer'd the mask, then circled everywhere I needed to work on.
8331695063_497fd50de9.jpg
I probably should have just circled the entire mask...
:$

8356897258_27419d25b2.jpg
Regardless, I continued on and got a layer or two of filler putty, then primer. It had started to look better, but I still needed to work on some areas.

My camera takes really retardedly large pictures and I'm not going to explode you guys' computers with those, but you can check out all the intermediate steps at my majhost gallery.
(The images are out of order because my camera is ... strange. Apologies!)

Also: I'm back at campus at my college now. I am taking 17 hours in an engineering major, so I won't have a whole lot of free time to work on this. However, I hope that, by uploading this, I will encourage myself to work more on it.
I've done a little here on campus, but I don't yet have pictures.

Welcome to the forums!

Thats really cool. I remember playing with Bionicles when i was around 10 or so, this is gonna be a interesting build. Keep it up.

Dude this rules! were did u get file for mask? this makse me want to make a tahu
mask

Thanks! I got the files from a variety of places, but it looks like most of the links I used are down.* CrunchbiteNuva (sik1276 here on the 405th) took 'em down for some reason. You might wanna ask him what that's about.
/shrug

*There is, however, still a download link to the Great Mask of Time, Kanohi Vahi.

Anyway, I got some progress done. It's looking and feeling pretty smooth in the large planes, but there are still some places that need work. I might prime is again sometime soon so I can get a better look at everything.

8406121205_6ba21000b0.jpg

Click the picture to go to my Flickr photostream and check out the Notes I added.

I feel the engineering crunch man. Its tough when you dont have a garage to work on and really dont have much time.
But stick to it! Its worth it in the end.

8436748321_9137129882.jpg

Not dead! And not done with this, either!

The Miru itself is looking better and better the more I work on it (albeit slowly). I also made some progress on the other bits of the costume, too.

8437831732_184f1e98c1.jpg

One of my friends gave me one of his old guitars. I've already stripped most of the finish off of it, so I'll be painting it the same green as the mask when I get around to that. The guitar will be Lewa's ax. And the poncho I ordered came in, too; I'll use the poncho as the clothes Lewa could wear because, let's be honest here: Lewa would totally wear a poncho.

Also I just really wanted that poncho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back