Know Anything About Auto-Paint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaya Tetsu

So there are people on the 405th from many different backgrounds, its one of the things that make this community so nice. I'm hoping there is at least one individual here who has at least some experience with auto paint. Whether it's a job or a hobby like this one, it doesn't matter. I've been looking into it, partly out of curiosity and part because I have an idea. But I'm not finding as much on the net, as I had hoped. Also, whatever information gather, I won't try anything without supervision of someone who knows what they're doing. Its more dangerous to do things wrong that it is to do them at all. But I started this topic to see if anyone could explain the process to me. The tools needed, the safety precautions, etc. What I'm finding on the net is insufficient or the complete newb,but if you have any resources to link to, I'll be happy to check them out.

And this can be a general discussion for anyone else who happens to be interested in the topic.

Xtreme TACTICS 101 said:
What do you meen by "Auto paint"? Do you meen a spray can or an airbrush?

Airbrush, none of that spray paint stuff. Spray paint, doesn't need much explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a difference between airbursh paint and car paint, isn't there? I'd just like to learn about it, I know next to nothing now other than you need an airbrush and a respirator. What got me curious was the guy over at fibgerglas blades. He did an awesome master sword and hylian shield, and he painted them with car paint. He also did the new Twilight Princess sword

I'm interested in learning how to do it, because it looks awesome and since I plan on getting more and more into cosplay I might use it in the future. My dads friend has a shop set up in his garage and I planned on asking him about,when I get to meet him(I don't know any of my dad's co-workers unless they worked in Oklahoma). But as I said, I know next to nothing about it so any crash courses or links or books I should read? Where/how did you learn?

Honestly, I never picked up a book or even read/watched anything to teach me how to use an airbrush. I just grabed it outta the case, loaded some paint into it, and started messing around with it. Eventualy I figured it out, and now I can do all sorts of things with it, from painting model airplains to painting desinges on cars and trucks. All you have to do is "thin down" the paint to make it flow easly through the airbrush nozel. If your using a water based paint, use water to make the paint flow easer, and almost make it runny. If your using oils/enamels, you have to buy a certan thinner chemical to thin the paint.

There is no real differance between airbrush paint and car paint, other then the fact that car paint is more durrable and can take a far harder beeting. Other then that, its realy the same. It all depends on the type of paint. It could be soft/hard acrylic (soft for clothing, hard for models and whatnot), water based, oil, enamel or any other type you can think of. Normally for cars, its enamel based paints. There area also flat/matt, satin semi-gloss, and gloss paints. Flat/Matt being the lest shinny (no shine), and gloss being the shinniest. Cars are normaly painted gloss, but in the military, they are painted in flat, or "matt" colours.

There is also clear coat witch comes in Flat/matt, satin, semi-gloss and gloss aswell. Depending on what type of paint you use (Flat/matt, satin, semi-gloss, gloss), you use the same clear coat type as the paint.

Now, a word of the wise, NEVER put a coat of one typed base of paint, and put a differantly typed base of on top. For example, never put a oil based paint over a acrylic paint, or never put a gloss based paint over a flat based paint. The result will be the paint cracking and it leading to a horrable finish.

Its great what you can do with an airbrush. You can even do make-up! That could be a good skill for your sister(s)/friends, and trust me, they will love you for that (They can save hundreds of dollars, although you will all just spend the money you saved on a new pair of $2000.00 shoes LOL, just kidding!)

Also, you can clearly tell the guy uses multiply coats of clear coat.

Well, that prety much sums up everything. Any other help you need, just post and I will do my best to answer.

It sounds like a handy thing to know and It will come in handy as I get farther into cosplay and props and do some, hopefully, awesome stuff. SO far my to learn list.

1) Airbrush/auto paint

2)3d Model

3) Model with clay

4) Cosplay Wigs

5) Sewing (I haven't sewn in forever)

6) Clothing Patterns (hot to make my own)

Oh and more programming languages and graphic design,but thos aren't related to cool costume making.

Maybe once I learn all those I can be an uber awesome costume maker. Lol.

Tht list goes on,but this was really interesting to me, especially since its really the only way to get a a shiny chrome.

I paint model helicopters using a tiny Testors airbrush powered by a disposable air cylinder... Thing is a pain in the butt to clean!!

My dad owns a body shop(probably the best thing for halo armor considering there are so many things i can do) but I use his car sprayer. Its nice because you can get good even coats fairly quickly but i also use an airbrush for fine details. If you learn to use an airbrush you can do amazing thins my friend.

What are your questions specifically? You've asked if we have experience and that you have questions... Ask stuff specifically so we can answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back