Laptop Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nintendude

A few months ago my mother sent in her laptop to the company she bought it from for repairs, the place on the laptop where you plug it in at was loose and was not charging right when it came back the plug issue was resolved for a couple of days and it held a charge but now her laptop won't come on except a blue blinking that blinks several times, then nothing. If it was a hard drive situation it would still come on but it would show a error message or give a beep code but when you press the power button nothing happens except for what I stated above. What I am needing help with is she went out and bought a external hard drive to back up her files on the laptops hard drive but since the laptop cannot be turned on I don't know how to go about backing up the files. The only thing I can think of is to take the hard drive out of the laptop and plug it into the desktop computer by taking out the desktop HD and putting the laptop HD in it's place long enough to back her files up onto the extrenal HD so her laptop can be sent in for repairs. Does anyone else know if and how I can do this or have any ideas?

I have a laptop my self and if it is possible to get the hard drive into a desktop to get the files backed up then I say go for it. I'm sorry to hear about your mom's troubled laptop and I hope all goes well.

Yes you should be able to do that.

With it not turning on, have you tried resetting things, like ram, hard drive, battery? things like that could cause it to not turn on depending on the maker sometimes.

Hello All,

In order for you to put the laptop hard drive in a desktop you will need a adapter, the cables are vary different, you can get adapters for around $10 if you look. Your problem sounds like a PSU inverter problem. The circuit that takes the battery and makes all the different voltages that are needed by the laptop. If you have a local computer tech, ask them if they can backup her files, Most have the adapter on hand and would charge a small fee to transfer files.

Stilgar

Stilgar Hammer said:
Hello All,

In order for you to put the laptop hard drive in a desktop you will need a adapter, the cables are vary different, you can get adapters for around $10 if you look.

Stilgar

I was wondering if it was still like that or not, didnt look the last time I opened a new laptop. everything is sata now so I thought wrong then. Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

Unless they changed the laptop hard drive hardware its still a IDE 40 pin connector. Yes most new desktops use SATA, but not all, and most DVD and CD ROM drives still use IDE. My system still has IDE hardware as well as SATA (I haven't looked in a while but I think my system has floppy hardware too.

stilgar

It might be possible to boot up the laptop from a floppy/flashdrive/cd, but in your mom's case. I think you might have to open it up and plug the drive into a sata to usb. I think you'll need something along these lines http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7388022&cm_re=sata_hub-_-17-388-022-_-Product . I'd first get all of the info off the Hard Drive before sending it back to tech support. Or you could pop the drive out, plug it into your desktop and go from there...

Best of luck.

Before trying to remove the hard drive, while it is completely powered down, flip it over and remove the ram card or cards. Re-install them making sure the connection is good. If that doesn't work, try to use just one of the cards at a time to see if it has one card bad. Bad ram kills laptops.

If none of that works, then I'd pull the drive. You can get an external case cheap on ebay.

Thanks JUICE I'll give it a try planning on getting the adapter from Best Buy tomarrow to hook up the Laptop HD to my Desktop too so that I can back up the HD before playing with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back