Lazarus's Halo 5 Centurion project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been under the impression that those little side bits should be providing some kind of protection to the knee. the front of the model has a dip down in the front to accommodate the knee pad.

2016-04-11.png

If anything, I have all the original files, so I can even print 2 sets of shins and see which ones work better. Though this set will be mostly pink! (hooray cheapest filament!)

upon further inspection of a bunch of models, you are all right. :wacko I need to stop second guessing myself.... THE BUILD WILL PROCEED AS NORMAL

Yes in-game model its cool. Reality/realworld objects tend to collide.

Not even that much of a collision issue as it was a placement issue. The tops of that piece are actually supposed to wrap around your gastrocnemius (You actual calf muscle) as opposed to flanking the knee as I thought.

I finished the back half of the left shin and it seems like there might be a slight model issue with sizing. My God-given massive calves just don't fit nicely in the thing, so I'll either have to do some very careful material removal, or allow for the back to flex a little bit when it's on.

Will take pictures and post them when I get home. Shouldn't be that bad of a fix though.

Also, my purple/pink filament gets in today so printing can resume! I just have some very minor modelling to allow for some hinges in the front. (hopefully no more than 30 minutes total)

I'm also thinking of breaking down and just doing a standard paint job on my Magnum as the Gold Standard paintjob is proving to be a massive pain in my butt. Opinions?

Here is what I did to aid in the calfs. I have massive ones too from ballet / scuba many years ago .
I made the print a shell.. EG a 1/8 inch thinkness and I back it with 2 layers of glass

I noticed you are doing your work as a box and infill.. It does make the armor look cool and chunky but some parts dont need the thickness.

you can gain a inch in dia if you do this . you also gain flex Esp with ABS.

How do you go about just making the shell? Only way I've figured out how to do it accurately is go around deleting individual triangles since a Boolean cut can produce highs and lows due to the shift in scale.

View attachment 26064

Using this I can see its boxed and solid . EG its like a half inch in real life..

So you go in to meshmixer 123D app and remove the inner polys as wanted . It Does De-solid the part back to a mesh but then I use blender to re solid it back with a 3 scale on the solidify tool

MM123 makes VERY quick work of this . I can prep that shin I see in 30 Min from scale to readdy to print.
also if you have not starteed to . there is a AZURE Microsoft sever we can use to used netfabb for free!
we all play halo and therfor have a gamertag and a MS account so its easy peasy to log in your gamer tag account and use there netfab. its a lifesaver and its easy !

https://modelrepair.azurewebsites.net/

This is a boxed part * while I did 0% infill and used foam inside . its a boxed part )

attachment.php

This is a shelled part ( the lower foot foot/shin. yoij can see the gap .
attachment.php

Do you use the Hollow command in meshmixer and delete the inside faces from that? I'll have to get with you to walk me through it over skype or something if possible.

Anyways, as promised,here are pictures!
20160413_185510470_iOS.jpgFront view of shin. my calf sticks out just beyond the inside diameter.
20160413_185138169_iOS.jpgPink Filament!!!!

first shin is done, but needs a little bit of rough work, a section likes to dig into my shin... but my M6H2 Magnum is done! I said screw the Gold Standard paint job (too much tape.....) and went with a more classic look.

2nd shin is almost 1/4 done. hopefully I'll have it done by Monday and I'll be done printing!!!!!

20160416_201914093_iOS.jpg

20160416_163854000_iOS.jpg My daughter's feet decided to be in the picture

first shin is done, but needs a little bit of rough work, a section likes to dig into my shin... but my M6H2 Magnum is done! I said screw the Gold Standard paint job (too much tape.....) and went with a more classic look.

2nd shin is almost 1/4 done. hopefully I'll have it done by Monday and I'll be done printing!!!!!

View attachment 26231

View attachment 26232 My daughter's feet decided to be in the picture

So when do you start on her armor?

I've finished printing the bits, but the shins need a little bit of work and I may need to reprint them to be a little wider... They just don't seem to want to close nicely around my calves. I'm going to try doing some material removal with a cutoff wheel and maybe a hole saw. If that doesn't work, I'm going to reprint them.

I haven't gotten around to working on them much since my oldest daughter is turning 2, and her birthday party is actually today. that and my birthday is coming up as well, plus finals for college. Just have a bunch of stuff going on

Gotcha life happens. Looks like you might of had a little trouble with printing the AR? Is it split into sections, because it looks like one whole piece?

No way, it's definitely made of sepperate parts. I can clearly identify at least 4 sections (faint vertical lines in the gun). which will disappear competly after sanding/painting.

- - - Updated - - -

Something I wonder about, is there a reason why on nearly all printed props, the trigger is missing ? (just out of curiosity).

it's actually 12 pieces to one side, plus a barrel, flashlight, charging handle, and trigger (it's printed, just separate right now since I don't have the opposing piece printed to hold it in) The AR is still in assembly stage so I really haven't done anything besides very minor sanding on some of the seams to clean it up.

- - - Updated - - -

Something I wonder about, is there a reason why on nearly all printed props, the trigger is missing ? (just out of curiosity).

All of my weapons have triggers on them. I had to make the one for my railgun, but its still on there! (and would have been functional if I didn't let glue get on it and set...)

Not surprised about the 12 pieces, that's why I wrote "at least" 4 parts. Although my printer could do print that kind of thing in 3 parts, I've found it's much more convenient to slice up such big parts into smaller slices, let alone adding stuff like lights&ammo counters and such.

The trigger was something that I noticed, as I've seen a lot of trigger-less props these days, so I was starting to wonder if there's some rule/regulation/problem on cosplay events or something which caused this.
Sadly, my printer doesn't print at ALL at the moment as I destroyed my thermistor due to my own stupidity and I'm waiting for the replacement. :cry .
A crapload of electronics parts in my pretty large stock of electronics parts in the cellar but noooo of course no fitting thermistor. GRRR.

One of these MA5's is certainly getting printed here too. :D

I have a nice foam model and a very nice CB88 so I'd be better of looking at one of the many other nice prop weapons to pick from, but the MA5 remains that special weapon that identifies Halo for me and I keep returning to it. Nice model by the way. :D

PS : "and her birthday party is actually today", In that case, happy birthday to her !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back