LED lights for a helmet - an option

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwantaxbox360

First post, so be gentle!.

So I am making my son a Suit from the Pepakura templates, and have been searching out some resources for LED for the helmet.

Here is an ebay link ( although at home depot they are only $8 each!)
http://cgi.ebay.com/retractable-LED-flash-...5QQcmdZViewItem

Once I opened the case, the inner 'gubbings' is perfect for the helmet, a quick re-wire so it only need one battery instead of 2, and you have the circuit board and LED.s and it only little visor for the lights, ready to go.

I will post some pics of it once i have installed them, but for a solution that came to about $16 and required soldering, it seems a good option to me.

Hope some find this of some use.

Welcome to the site. I bought 50 1200MCD LEDs then just soldered them in with some old wire (free) then cut the battery compartment out of an old walkman also free. The LEDs were only $6 shipped on ebay. If you don't have a soldering iron i guess you could go this way, but you would need to buy 2, one for each side.
They were 3V LEDs so I just soldered them directly to 2 AA.

This is the wiring before I put it in the helmet.
[attachment=789:1014071907.jpg]

This is it on
[attachment=791:1014071926.jpg]

See i had trouble finding 'blue' LED's , hence why i went with the white ones in the flash light.

Yours look very good.

i need to gets some pics on my armour up.

Buckeye said:
Welcome to the site. I bought 50 1200MCD LEDs then just soldered them in with some old wire (free) then cut the battery compartment out of an old walkman also free. The LEDs were only $6 shipped on ebay. If you don't have a soldering iron i guess you could go this way, but you would need to buy 2, one for each side.
They were 3V LEDs so I just soldered them directly to 2 AA.

This is the wiring before I put it in the helmet.
[attachment=789:1014071907.jpg]

This is it on
[attachment=791:1014071926.jpg]
what size leds are those? i need 10 mm i think

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 5mm LED's. I use them for other things as well, they look good to me. A little bigger might be nicer on the helmet. they look bigger than they are because they are so bright. If you look at the one with them off, you can see how small they actually are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back