Leekegan Halo Reach Sniper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a lathe or are you buying dowel rods in certain circumferences and then notching them? Your process intrigues me, If you don't use a lathe I think I could do this... with lots of practice :p

Trigger said:
Do you have a lathe or are you buying dowel rods in certain circumferences and then notching them? Your process intrigues me, If you don't use a lathe I think I could do this... with lots of practice :p

No I don't have a lathe, I would love to get one. Your guess is correct. I use dowels of different sizes and when I need an intermediate size I sand it down on the table sander.

You could replicate my type of work. It just takes practice.

Thanks to everyone elses comments, I really appreciate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you got alot of work done sir. How about a break??? Halo meta-game in 30min??? ;) Assuming that is that you are putting up new progress pics now, and you see this message :p

Time for an update.

I decided to show how I do the layers of my weapons. Hope you like the pics.

Here are the outside layers to the lower receiver with the upper receiver setting were it will go.

HaloReachSniper001-4.jpg

Front grip clamped and glued to one side.

HaloReachSniper002-4.jpg

All the layers for the rear of the lower receiver.

HaloReachSniper010.jpg

HaloReachSniper011.jpg

HaloReachSniper012.jpg

HaloReachSniper013.jpg

All the layers together.

HaloReachSniper014.jpg

Lower receiver together and upper receiver in place.

HaloReachSniper015.jpg

Barrel in place.

HaloReachSniper016.jpg

HaloReachSniper017.jpg

HaloReachSniper018.jpg

OH OH OH! I just died and went to heaven! INCREDIBLE WORK! That is so uver-used, but believe me, when I say incredible about this, I mean "INCREDIBLE"

Lee, you are my hero. This is definately going to help when I start building my DMR, and I hope it turns out even half as good as this! For the layered parts of the grip section, how did you cut them all the same shape consistantly?

L05T V1K1N6 said:
Lee, you are my hero. This is definately going to help when I start building my DMR, and I hope it turns out even half as good as this! For the layered parts of the grip section, how did you cut them all the same shape consistantly?

Thanks.

If you are talking about the front grip I used a block and a rasp file to put the round on it. At the edges of it I used a snap blade razor knife to get the sharp edges clean.

On the rear grip, I cut the first layer I use it as a templet for the rest and modify each layer as needed. I also use a scroll saw to do my cutting.

LeeKegan said:
Thanks.

If you are talking about the front grip I used a block and a rasp file to put the round on it. At the edges of it I used a snap blade razor knife to get the sharp edges clean.

On the rear grip, I cut the first layer I use it as a templet for the rest and modify each layer as needed. I also use a scroll saw to do my cutting.

Ah, I see. I use a band saw to do my cutting. A trick I use to cut the same shape twice (example: the sides on the battle rifle with the triangles) is stacking two pieces of plywood together using double-sided carpet tape, and that does the trick real well :)

:eek :eek :eek :eek ................Not sure what compliment I could say that hasn't been said a dozen times already!!!!!

I guess I'll say....please keep posting your awesome progress shots!!!!

As I read this topic, I look to my right, and I see... a paper sniper rifle, just waiting for a proper barrel, and then I look at the screen at this amazing work of art, and find it hard not to cry. That has to be the most amazing thing I've ever seen made out of wood. Just superb.

Wow, That is a fine amount of craftsmanship! I am amazed... May i enquire as to what you are using as blueprints? I was contemplateing doing the sniper but i had no idea what i would use to get size and dimensions. An here i am asking the pro. :D.

Amazing.

Cheers, Dave.

XxCALIBERxX said:
Wow, That is a fine amount of craftsmanship! I am amazed... May i enquire as to what you are using as blueprints? I was contemplateing doing the sniper but i had no idea what i would use to get size and dimensions. An here i am asking the pro. :D .

Amazing.

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks Dave,

I got the overall length from the Halo Encyclopedia and then my freinds supplied some great screen shots. I cut one side view pic down to just the weapon and blue it up to scale and printed out. You might be able to see it in some of the pics hanging on the wall.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back