Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought i would give a quick update. I haven't got much done this time home. I am still waiting word from the DMV on the rebody paper work to try and keep it road legal. If that fails i will still be going ahead with the project, just be off road only. Also the cold weather has been killing any fiberglass work i have done. I will have to have the shop heated up good next time to get it all to cure right.

As I noted in my previous post, it can always be registered as a specially constructed vehicle (see the link in my last post), so you wont have an issue there. I've also noted that theres alot of places that using thin guage sheet metal would be practical and potentially cheaper than fiberglass. So, what are your thoughts or plans on what to use on the interior and upholstery?

In similar news, around mid-december I decided to go ahead with my tube-frame construction and have finished the cabin roll cage area and truch bed sections, Ill be adding the pics into this post when I get my camera to the shop tomorrow. The final cost of my order ended up coming to just under $200 because the prices jumped 25% in one week, pretty crazy price hike if you ask me.
(PIC)
framesofar.jpg

Awsome as always, and good luck on your build. :D
-Gryphon

That is one of the most epic things I have seen on this site. I want to do that too, but I don't exactly have the space for it. I've got 3 cars and a 2 car garage, and I live in a neighborhood.

As I noted in my previous post, it can always be registered as a specially constructed vehicle (see the link in my last post), so you wont have an issue there. I've also noted that theres alot of places that using thin guage sheet metal would be practical and potentially cheaper than fiberglass. So, what are your thoughts or plans on what to use on the interior and upholstery?

In similar news, around mid-december I decided to go ahead with my tube-frame construction and have finished the cabin roll cage area and truch bed sections, Ill be adding the pics into this post when I get my camera to the shop tomorrow. The final cost of my order ended up coming to just under $200 because the prices jumped 25% in one week, pretty crazy price hike if you ask me.
(PIC)
framesofar.jpg

Awsome as always, and good luck on your build. :D
-Gryphon

I am trying to avoid having to register it like that if I can, but it is always a option. On the interior I have been planning to use wood covered in fibreglass. Going to get some slip on seat covers for the plastic bucket seats I have, but send them off and have more added to them to look more like the warthogs seats. That place I get my metal from the price changes weekly it seems. What you have done is looking good.

couldnt you register it under the origonal frame type and motor type... like if you got a kit online to make your lets say chevy and drop a lambo body on it... it wouldnt be considered a lambo, its still a chevy.

From what I've heard, I think you can. But I think you need to keep the same dash.

Has this project died? I haven't seen an update on here in a while.

From what I've heard, I think you can. But I think you need to keep the same dash.

Has this project died? I haven't seen an update on here in a while.

Nope, it's still alive. I will have a update on it before I go back to work on the 16th. Storm tore some stuff up on my house, kids and some work on my 52 ford had it temporally sidetracked.

UPDATE 5-14-2011

First real update in a little while. Got side tracked and working on DMV issues. Today I got started on the basis for the turret.

5721084982_ed1b557ac7_b.jpg

5720528597_b9994b56b9_b.jpg

5720532011_9b67ec433b_b.jpg

5720533629_4fe1c3200f_b.jpg

5720560163_c90dd9748b_b.jpg

5720563247_10584e39b7_b.jpg

5720566705_9fd668ac82_b.jpg

5721140370_abed07c2b9_b.jpg

5720585939_38f21777aa_b.jpg

5720584201_d39e81022b_b.jpg

5720589707_a270368143_b.jpg

I know the top part where the gun mounts to on the side of the turret is round but I will be going with a hexagon shape on mine. Easier to do with the square tubing I am using.

This will be so frigging awesome when it's done XD
Almost two years in, and still at it, you got to admire your dedication. How much has the project set you back?

Are you going to motorize the turntable?

Yes, that is my final plan. Looking at putting a automatic v-8 engine flexplate on the bottom then have a electric motor with a gear to drive it.

Nesbitt101: Yes it has been a while since I have started it. I am gone half the time, I work a 28 day/28 day rotating sechdule, so actually it's just been about a year on it with the time I have been home. As far as money I am between 1500 and 2000 in it right now. I still feel I can get it done for under 5 grand total.

aye man ive been following this thread for ages and i have to say, well done. great commitment to the project. i recently became a father myself and although my sons only little, his a handful at times. my question to you is how did you figure out ur measurements and everything? obviously in game photos helped but some more information into your planning would be extremely helpful

aye man ive been following this thread for ages and i have to say, well done. great commitment to the project. i recently became a father myself and although my sons only little, his a handful at times. my question to you is how did you figure out ur measurements and everything? obviously in game photos helped but some more information into your planning would be extremely helpful

More of what I did was scale the in game warthog down to the chassis I used. I use the pictures for reference, but my main measurements came off of a toy. Looking at the toy the proportions looked right so I used it measurements. This is the toy I used http://www.amazon.com/WARTHOG-HALO-VEHICLE-Inch-McFarlane/dp/B001NDKEUY
I took a set of calipers, the warthog toy and several pictures and took measurements of each part and wrote it down on the paper. Then I took a wheelbase measurement of the toy warthog, after that I took a wheelbase measurement of the chassis I was going to use, then by using my measurements on both them I came up with a scale to use. After this you take you scale number to see how much you need to "x" your original measurements on the toy. So you would have something like this. 1 inch = ******** in the end. That will give you your basic measurements. Mine had to be modded a little bit, but it gives you something to start on. The width didn't scale out like I wanted so I did the sides close as I could, then I made sure I had enough width to make it look right. The best way to use this method would be to make a custom frame to go under the body so you wouldn't have to make any compromises. I think it would scale out better on a short wheelbase truck than on the shorter chassis I used. Example weta warthog uses around 115" wheelbase if they kept the custom frame close to the stock patrol wheelbase. Short wheelbase ford from the 80's to mid 90's is 116.8 wheelbase. The blazer chassis I used is 106" wheelbase, the bronco I am going to use now is 105" wheelbase. The Operation Chasity warthog has 110" wheelbase.

Another way you could scale it is to have several good shots of the in game warthog. Perfect shots from top, sides, etc. Then have your Spartan standing next to it. Use your personal height or use the "around 7 foot" height measurement that has been thrown around for the chief as your basis. Then scale from there.

Or say you have a set of 37" tires on hand you want to use, then scale it from the tire height

Man I want this to get done, look great, and come up/down and get on the turret for pictures.... you could prolly charge $5 for a photoshoot and do that when it's done and park it anywhere and fans would flock you. Lol.

Oh and bring extra disposable cameras, batteries, film (do people still use film? lolz) etc in case they weren't ready for it, at moderately higher prices then you purchased them for. Lolz.
profit
or at least it'll start payin for itself.

aye man thanks for the response. i wasnt sure if you had said it previously or not so i thought i should ask. id love to maake one and because im in australia i was thinking of using a fourth gen hilux, as they are realiable. two different wheelbases for them and just wanted to see what you thought of the sizes?
Regular Cab Long Bed: 112.0 in (2,845 mm)
Xtracab Long Bed: 121.5 in (3,086 mm)

VERY! VERY COOL! This is like a dream of mine lol Its really awesome to see someone building one! Great job it looks awesome! I will be sure to stick around this thread!

aye man thanks for the response. i wasnt sure if you had said it previously or not so i thought i should ask. id love to maake one and because im in australia i was thinking of using a fourth gen hilux, as they are realiable. two different wheelbases for them and just wanted to see what you thought of the sizes?
Regular Cab Long Bed: 112.0 in (2,845 mm)
Xtracab Long Bed: 121.5 in (3,086 mm)

I know exactly what truck you are talking about. I work over seas. I am in the UAE right now. Dubai. We have a 4x4 hilux I have to drive back and forth to our south yard to get our stuff stored there. Ok truck, reminds me of the smaller Toyota trucks in the states back in the 80's just not a straight ft axle. I am use to the wider full size usa trucks but with proper planning/scaleing it could be done right. To get you started dreaming some more I ran across this

toyota-4runner-2005-hilux-surf.gif

It's the suv version (in the states it would be a 4 RUNNER) but would still work to take a picture of a warthog and over lay it with this picture for you to get a idea of where everything would go. Another aspect would be if you wanted to look more into the troop carrier one than the weapons one, I was thinking laws down under were a little more stricter than in the states? not sure. ON the wheelbase You will have to look at the scale to get the perportions right, the hilux is a little narrower, than the usa fullsize, so the longer you make it wheelbase wise, the wider the width is going to need to be to make the scale correct. You could get a little more "width" by using deep dish rim and wider tires. But I think most of the big tires overseas are very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back