Let's Be Honest. Halo 3:odst Is *edit* Ok!

Did you Like ODST

• Yes it's incredible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes it's ok

• No it's disappointing

• I can't believe bungie wasted all that potential..

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

R3unbreakable

Jr Member
The amount of potential is staggering. The execution is lacking.

It takes forever to kill brutes with human weapons, you NEVER play alongside your squad, There is no battle rifle IN HALO 2 ERA EVENTS. The story is silly and disconnected, and there is no matchmaking.

60 dollars? i want my money back...

..but ill keep my Halo: Reach beta...

Edit!!!!!

I've beaten the campaign. I've fully played firefight, and I've done vidmaster challenges.

I've changed my mind a little. By no means is Halo: ODST a fantastic piece of gaming art. It's an expansion pack.

It's built on the Halo 3 engine, but on close inspection it is a lot better than Halo 3. The AI is just that much sharper, the gameplay is just that much more defined, and the graphics are...still ok for 2007...

I will not retract my statements on the story. There is no chemistry between Dare and Buck, if you think there is, it's because you're wanting there to be in your mind. The truth is that there is no way for us to know what is going on between them because we don't spend enough time with them. This is one of my major problems with ODST. The squad never really has to face any issues as a completed group which is very unfortunate because it's a waste of some big name talent. Alan Tudyk has only a few lines that are important to story and you only get to play with him once in the entire game expansion. By rights playing as different characters creates scenarios the developer can design around. You get the light vehicle mission, the tank mission, the sniper mission, the defense mission, the foot mission, the aerial mission and the finale. It's a good medley of situations but that's all that it is; A chain of scenarios. I didn't feel anything for Mickey or Dutch or Koju agu because i didn't know them. All i knew about them was explained to me by Nathan Fillion in a ViDoc.

Something that Yahtzee Croshaw explained so eloquently in one of his reviews was that a writer can't tell us we care about characters, the writer has to show us why we should. The fact of the matter is that we don't have enough information on any of the characters back stories or personalities to make a decision on if we care about them or not. Tell me something about Mickey other than he's a "total newb" and is good with explosives. Why did he join the UNSC? What is he interested in? What quirks does he have that makes him an interesting character. Was he bitter about being passed over for being a pilot which apparently is his dream?

The BR quip is just me being a total Canon-savant, and being mad at bungie putting in the completely useless Assault Rifle when it wasn't anywhere near Mombasa.

The matchmaking problem is a MAJOR problem. No matchmaking neutralizes the Firefight selling point. If it weren't for 2 of my close friends that are as obsessed with video games as i am, and the 405th, i wouldnt have anyone to play with!

The combo plasma pistol/anything else is sweet! Except using the plasma pistols normal fire is like using a paintball gun to kill someone. It's so weak it doesn't even have an impact besides it's charge shots. That's my problem with the weapon balance. They made all of the characters from the jackals on up extremely hardy, as well as the ODSTs can take a lot of punishment. To furthur exacerbate this "Juggernautness"of every enemy and human, they made the weapons really weak. Why? Why not make the weapons as deadly as they sound. The M6 series of pistols fires a FREAKIN 12.7x40mm M225 Semi-Armor-Piercing High-Explosive round. That means you're firing a bullet bigger than a .50 cal deagle into someones face that will also EXPLODE And yet unless you shoot the grunt in the head, they'll shrug it off and run away from you to their brute daddies.

At the end of a day, it's only a game. But on the other side of that same coin, i did spend 60 hard earned dollars on their product, and i expected more.

hey, i respect your opinion, but i feel like your bringin others down. you can think whatever you want but creating a thread just so you can rant about what you think is the truth just ain't right. also, if you paid attention, youre an ODST, not a spartan... duh, its different. same place, but different area, time, scenario... try to keep up

WRising said:
hey, i respect your opinion, but i feel like your bringin others down. you can think whatever you want but creating a thread just so you can rant about what you think is the truth just ain't right. also, if you paid attention, youre an ODST, not a spartan... duh, its different. same place, but different area, time, scenario... try to keep up

I understand that you're an ODST, but that doesn't explain the absence of the BR.

It's just such a major disappointment. A 60 dollar one at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ummm...you do play alongside your squad,
though out the memories and the whole ending part is with them
, the lack of the br was annoying but not annoying enough to bring down the quality of the game, the story is cool if you can figure it out and brutes are a little difficult to kill true but it makes it more of a challenge. oh and with the second disk you get the matchmaking right there, it may not be with odst's (which i was hoping for) but it's still there.

overall my one gripe about it is that the campaign is too short, but the rest is awesome.

paradoxdj said:

HOORAH!!!

But it seriously is a great game, plus reading all of the novels helps alot with the backstory, honestly campaign should have been longer.

But yeah... It was a great unique Halo Game.

Glad i didnt buy it, worth renting or borrowing... lacks replay value for... cant see myself playing this for more than 2 months

R3unbreakable said:
I understand that you're an ODST, but that doesn't explain the absence of the BR.

It's just such a major disappointment. A 60 dollar one at that.

apparently you have not been keeping up with the development of the game. Bungie has stated many time that the BR will not be in ODST. this was due to many things. weapons are very memory heavy and they wanted to give you something different that filled the same roll, hence the new pistol and SMG. i personally dont miss it. it was a unbalanced part of Halo 2 and 3. it was so much more than a go to weapon that it made the game bland and half the guns pointless. by taking out the BR and changing the pistol and SMG you now have more guns that are useful and fill in more of the game. how many times have you passed up all the other guns in the game and kept the BR. MLG talked about making their games fiesta to make it less bland, and force players to use something els. you my cry over the BR but i think its been long over due to take it out.

oh and iv been killing BRs with the pistol in Halo 3 for a long time, it just shows more skill to not need a BR crutch to get to the finish first.

Savvy

i noticed once i started playing that the br was missing, but i think that it would have unbalanced the game and made it really easy like it did with halo 2. with the increased range of the pistol and smg do u really need anymore ranged weapons. i think the br would have made the game too easy, i thought it was easy enough on legendary the way it is. the only thing that disappointed me was the multi. i thought there would have been some odst player vs player action. but thats okay. the onething that gets really old is that the skulls in firefight always come on in the same order. i wish that they would have the skulls come on in a random order, it would have changed up firefight a little. but all in all an alright game

ODSTs should not be able to melle Wraiths to death.

no matchmaking for firefight..

If you already have Halo 3.. the extra multiplayer crap is meh..

very not worth it.

I like the comment about adapting. I have found myself taking brutes down with the plasma pistol because of the lack of weapons. Anyone think that the smg runs out of ammo sort of fast? Even with short bursts, I am forced to scavenge. Also, the whole game is dark, and I have to use night vision all the time, which is okay but sometimes annoying. Overall, I am glad that the ODSTs get their own game this time and not mere seconds of screen time.

Wow, cry some more?

The Automag and M7S fill out the roles the BR took in previous Halo games - you have a mid-to-long-range weapon for sniping things, and a scoped SMG for whittling down shields for the headshot. These two weapons balance what would otherwise be an overpowered experience, because you'd be running in with your Battle Rifle and killing everything far too easily.

As for not fighting along squadmates? The game's meant to give you an experience of being an ODST - alone in an abandoned city, against hundreds of hostlie aliens. It's not all about charging in and putting your boot up something's backside. This time it's more about stealth, about being clever and keeping yourself alive rather than just gunning your way from start to finish. If you want running and gunning, take one of the daytime missions.

I personally prefer ODST over Halo 3. It gives an element of gameplay that's been sorely lacking in the series so far - you're not an invulnerable killing machine, and you have to fight with your head rather than your fists.

true that arcanine

i reckon halo 3 odst is by far one of the best and the BR sort of irrtated me most of the time but the weapos dont really concern me i love having to scavenge for weapons , it gives it the realstic feel to having to find a gun to kill the next lot of covies

spartan 343 i agree GET OVER IT if you dont like it PLAY HALO 3 there is 3 other fps halo games you can play through gees

i also agree with skippster about having to adapt i can tell you it was a little difficult play odst for the first time but now i dont even realise that im not the chief anymore which is good because im used to havin to hide behind things like you would in reall life unless your rambo or chuck noris BUNGIE DID AWESOME IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY

the game is only like 2 days old and ive nearly finished it 3 times so i dont think that theres nothing wrong with the "replay value"

and yes you do play along side your squad "eventually" but is is awesome how (this is a spoiler so its your fault for looking) you play a part in everyone shoes "except dares" which is kinda sad but the vidmaster challenges look a little easy and firefight is seriously awesome if your good at it :p

Arcanine said:
The Automag and M7S fill out the roles the BR took in previous Halo games - you have a mid-to-long-range weapon for sniping things, and a scoped SMG for whittling down shields for the headshot. These two weapons balance what would otherwise be an overpowered experience, because you'd be running in with your Battle Rifle and killing everything far too easily.

YES!!! Why is everyone in love with the BR? You take away the BR from multiplayer everyone complains because players know that they "suck" without it. Now I'm not saying a 50 is now a 5 by my use of the word "suck" but and great player is someone who is flexible with ALL Halo weapons and not just one! This is why everyone vetoes out of "Duals" because all they can play with is "007 GoldenEye Power Weapons."

Arcanine said:
As for not fighting along squadmates? The game's meant to give you an experience of being an ODST - alone in an abandoned city, against hundreds of hostlie aliens. It's not all about charging in and putting your boot up something's backside. This time it's more about stealth, about being clever and keeping yourself alive rather than just gunning your way from start to finish. If you want running and gunning, take one of the daytime missions.

Now I think you did play with your squadmates for one battle, everyone but Rookie was there. But other than that I area. This isn't Republic Commando, this is Halo: One man vs. ALL.

This is just my opinion and I respect what others think and I do see where you are coming from. The one thing I do agree is the game itself is a little short, the MultiPlayer Disc is really pointless bc the only difference is the 3 new levels ( 90% of Halo Players online have all the new maps anyway) ((and now my Halo 3 disc is only used for Campaign play!)), and Firefight is fun but not like thousands of games fun like Halo 2-3.

I think the game should of been $49.99 and not $59.99. Still the good storyline but a little to much walking (not fighting) back a forth in the same levels.

I'm not even going to mention how rabid fanboys get when you attack their precious halo games.

If you objectively look at this game, you'd see it was mediocre just like every other game in the Halo series. Not bad, not great. Just okay.

There were no new innovations in gameplay or graphics, and the single player is so short it hardly worth mentioning.

Put this game toe to toe with a game like FallOut 3 and see what happens.

I honestly liked the absence of the Battle Rifle. It really made you think about your next move instead of going in guns blazing.

But, I honestly think the Covenant Carbine took the Battle Rifle's place well. The new sound effect (far more deep toned, much more of a 'Bang'), and its upgraded power (not sure, but it seems more powerful) really helped fill in the absence of the Battle Rifle.

As for the SMG, I loved it. Its better range and accuracy was a welcome change. And the M6C SOCOM was a VERY welcome return of the near Halo CE like pistol.

The story line was great, the graphics were even better! It even came with all of the multiplayer maps for Halo 3 on disk 2 (this is a HUGE deal for those of us without Xbox Live).

Firefight was awesome. I really liked the wave after wave after wave of Covenant kills.

Also the Scarab explosion graphics were FAR better then Halo 3's.

As for the Brute Chieftans, totally epic. Its easier to kill them. Their armour (along with other brutes) is easier to knock off. So all you have to do is switch to your automag and pop a few rounds into its head. Even the hunters were a joy to kill!

Honestly, this game was totally worth the $70.00 I payed for it. For those of you who didn't like it, your loss.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back