Let's Be Honest. Halo 3:odst Is *edit* Ok!

Did you Like ODST

• Yes it's incredible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes it's ok

• No it's disappointing

• I can't believe bungie wasted all that potential..

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
On some levels I agree with both sides of the argument.

[

u]Pro's[/u] (In my opinion. No one said this was fact)

It was nice to play as something other than a spartan,

the Superintendant was cleverly done,

it was nice to see something from the novels fully realised ingame,

the score (music) was superb,

voice acting was great,

it made me appreciate the carbine a lot more than in previous games,

some awesome cut-scenes, (orbital drop, sky elevator coming down etc.)

firefight is addictive and will keep my coming back for more for a long while,

more of the same.

Con's

more of the same, (see what I did there)

unless you play the game in a pitch black room you cannot see a thing unless you have the visor on the whole time,

no really exciting playable set pieces,

story fell a bit flat towards the end,

the pistol was not the 'Halo 1' replicant is was said to be. More like a pea shooter. (evey time I fired it, it made me want to go "Pew pew pew".)

the open world 'hub' was meant to make you feel isolated but instead made me feel like the area was just under developed and a bit sparse.

But again, these are just my opinions.

Personally I would've liked to have had the BR in game but it wasn't the end of the world.

It was damned short but then so are all the Halo's.

Overall I think it had much to enjoy but fell short of Halo 1 through 3 standards.

Only problem I had was it was too short. Even on legendary it took me about 10 hours to beat. I loved the new Silenced smg and pistol. I also noticed the change in sound with the carbine and I thought the sniper rifle also has a slight change in sound. I'm glad I bought it.

I have absolutely no complaints about the gameplay itself and have been hoping for something like Firefight ever since I played Horde on GOW.

I do, however, have one complaint regarding animations during cutscenes. I may be spoiled by now by other games, other Halo games (especially Halo Wars when it comes to animations/I know, I know, that one was done by Ensemble, different people, different developers, different animators/)...but animations seem to be inferior even to those in Halo 3. That's what tickles me slightly. It's a bit...disappointing, personally. Luckily, this doesn't really affect my interest in ODST. Will definitely be playing it for months to come.

Plus, I love the limited edition controller.

I hate people who don't like ODST just due to it's increase in difficulty and lack of a BR. Let's face it, if the BR was implented, someone would find something wrong witrh it and complain. Not to mention that the SMG and Pistol together make up for the lack in it. My opinion.

- Adulese

Let's be honest. I like the lack of BR. It's made me appreciate every other weapon. The Carbine is a Godsend, especially when the "Tilt" skull comes on in Firefight (deplete shields, aim for head). The plasma pistol actually became useful all of a sudden, which is crazy too. I think one of your complaints was "brutes take forever to kill using human weapons". That's sort of the point. The idea of ODST was to create a more tactical experience, and that means adapting yourself to your situation. I'm always dropping and grabbing different weapons depending on what I'm fighting and where I'm fighting. There's no "kills everything" gun anymore. ALL the guns have a purpose now, even if the SMG is pretty much exclusively for killing drones.

Also, if you haven't played Firefight with 4 other people who know what they're doing, you're REALLY missing out. Just saying. And the likelihood of getting that with matchmaking would be... one in a snowball's chance in hell. They left it out for a reason. So the 12 year old cuss factories can all play together, and the rest of us can form groups of reasonable people.

i am haji said:
Glad i didnt buy it, worth renting or borrowing... lacks replay value for... cant see myself playing this for more than 2 months

Its only a filler till Modern Warfare 2. In 47 days you can trade it in. 11.10.09

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's great so far. I started playing the campaign solo on Heroic. I've played for about 6 hours and I'm still not done, why rush through the game? I've been searching around, unlocking supply caches. The game is fun, I like having to hide and shoot. The first time I fought a hunter though, wow those things owned me. It's really fun though.

I love this game. I wasn't the least bit disappointed. :D

Bungie, if you want $10 more of my hard earned bucks, tell me where to mail it.

I'll be honest, and say that all the walking around as the Rookie dragged just a little.

But that's my only gripe. I LOVE this game. I'll be playing it for a very long time. It's an Awesome game.

i can see where some people wouldnt enjoy it, or feel that the replay value is high. everyone is entitled to their opinion with no questions asked. i, however, love it. no BR? so what, i dont use anything except the pistol! holy poo. what a kill machine!

the other main selling points for me are that this is as close to halo 1 gameplay on the halo 3 engine as ill ever get. and on top of that its a challenge. i can plow thru legendary on any of the halo campaigns, but turn firefight up to legendary and its a blast. granted i get my ass kicked, but its still a blast!

agreed, i have a habit of trying to marathon(no pun intended) through a game in one go through the night and there were times where the walking around as the rookie got really boring. So much so that I kind of tilted forward and just fell asleep for like a minute. Either than that though, this is overall a very well thought-out and balanced game. Good mix of sneaking around and full-on action and really, the exclusion of the BR was a great choice. What I also REALLY liked was that a headshot with the human sniper rifle didn't kill brutes in one hit, but a headshot with the beam rifle did. That was a nice touch, showing that yes, human weapons are no good at draining shields. Which brings back the point of the plasma based weapons being extremely useful, I liked that they brought better balance to the game. This is good because, unless you unlock like all the supply caches and what not, chances are you'll be forced to pick up a covenant weapon at some point anyway.

I do wish though they had a matchmaking for firefight. Who cares if it teams you up with a bunch of team-killing tea-bagging idiots, you STILL have the choice to not play with them and link with friends that are on your list anyway. Bungie said it would've taken another 6 months to do it, I honestly could've and would've waited 6 months. Oh well, hopefully we can expect some massive multiplayer for halo: reach given its backstory, there's no reason it shouldn't!

pooper said:
I'll be honest, and say that all the walking around as the Rookie dragged just a little.

I have to agree with this. Playing at night with the VISR on was cool and all, but that doesn't mean running a marathon is suddenly more entertaining, even if there are a few scattered enemy patrols along the way.

I thought the campaign was alright. It had countless cliche elements, and the ending was predictable throughout the game. Don't even get me started on the personalities of the characters.

On a lighter note, though, Firefight is amazing. Can't be said any other way. I thought it would be a Horde/Nazi Zombie rip off, but it is far improved from either of those. The Set/Round/Wave and Health/Ammo system is executed very well, and the skulls and medals make it less of a spray and pray experience, and more of an actual battle.

The multiplayer disc is much lighter on the hard drive if you like to install games to it, as it doesn't need the 3.2GB from the Halo 3 campaign. I also like the new menu backgrounds much better than the ones in Halo 3 originally.

I'd say it's worth it, but just barely. The game's campaign had tons of potential and, obviously, a ton of hype, but I don't think it made any amazing, substantial moves besides the fact that you have health like in Halo: CE. Firefight is this game's saving grace. Without it, this game would be in the bargain bin after 2 weeks.

Flyerfye said:
Let's be honest. I like the lack of BR. It's made me appreciate every other weapon. The Carbine is a Godsend, especially when the "Tilt" skull comes on in Firefight (deplete shields, aim for head). The plasma pistol actually became useful all of a sudden, which is crazy too. I think one of your complaints was "brutes take forever to kill using human weapons". That's sort of the point. The idea of ODST was to create a more tactical experience, and that means adapting yourself to your situation. I'm always dropping and grabbing different weapons depending on what I'm fighting and where I'm fighting. There's no "kills everything" gun anymore. ALL the guns have a purpose now, even if the SMG is pretty much exclusively for killing drones.

Also, if you haven't played Firefight with 4 other people who know what they're doing, you're REALLY missing out. Just saying. And the likelihood of getting that with matchmaking would be... one in a snowball's chance in hell. They left it out for a reason. So the 12 year old cuss factories can all play together, and the rest of us can form groups of reasonable people.

# 2 OF THE FOUR ,I AGREE

I find it odd that there is a complaint about Halo fanboys on a site dedicated to building Halo armor. It makes sense that there would be fanboys here right? Not that its a bad thing to be........

I do not even miss the BR, I can headshot grunts with the pistol and use the smg to force the jackals to raise their shields so I can use the pistol on them. It feels more satisfying in my opinion. I don't mind the walks at night too much, if you head straight for the way points it isn't too bad, and there are Mongeese and ghosts scattered around the level. I enjoy that Brutes are harder to kill, it makes sense after all.

Sure the campaign is a little short, like 1-2 hours less than Halo 3. I think firefight and the three new multiplayer maps negate that though. You get your campaign, your team slayer, and wave after wave of Covies for the price of Halo 3. I think that really does keep the price fair. Its too bad that Bungie couldn't have made the campaign a little longer and made firefight more of a bonus to us instead of making it vital to the worth of the game.i think its all worth it in the end though. Plus if you got the collectors edition the controller really is great!

R3unbreakable said:
I understand that you're an ODST, but that doesn't explain the absence of the BR.

It's just such a major disappointment. A 60 dollar one at that.

The BR is a peice of $#!T overpowered weapon that doesn't deserve to be in any game ever again? It's TOO easy to use if you're good and TOO hard to use if you're bad. It should be just "easy"

That being said, the Pistol replaces it fully. And why the f*** do you want a multyplayer effective weapon in a game with no multyplayer?

xalener said:
The BR is a peice of $#!T overpowered weapon that doesn't deserve to be in any game ever again? It's TOO easy to use if you're good and TOO hard to use if you're bad. It should be just "easy"

Wrong. The Battle Rifle is a great weapon in concept - you have a rifle that fares poorly at long range and close quarters, filling the gap between the Assault Rifle and SMG, and the Sniper Rifle. It's headshot capable but only truly effective at the ranges it's designed for.

Any weapon has the same problems. The Needler got nerfed from single to dual-wield, then back to single-wield, due to complaints about the power balance. The Pistol was scaled back due to fears that it would be far too powerful in multiplayer action. The Rocket Launcher lost its tracking ability for balancing. The Assault Rifle made a return, but with a vastly reduced clip to reduce spam.

No weapon in the Halo inventory should be removed - the balancing just needs to be gotten right. And no weapon should ever be 'easy' - if you make everything so easy to pick up, then there'd never be any skill in using it. You'd have a bunch of people complaining about how cheap the rest of the weapon inventory is. Hell, it's not like Bungie isn't trying to get it right - look at the amount of nerfs they've put into the weapon system this time around.

I think it's worth $60, I mean it has the basic features that Halo 3 had.

Halo 3: ODST = New Campaign, Multiplayer, Forge, Theater, And a BONUS, Firefight, Reach Beta Invitation. Price: $60

Halo 3 = Campaign, Multiplayer, Forge, Theater. Price: $60

Plus, Mythic maps, which would've been $20 anyways, so technically, you're paying $40 for the game, and $20 for the maps.

EDIT: Also, I love the new tactical feel to the game. you constantly have to change your weapon according to the enemy you're fighting and the most useless weapons became useful all of the sudden. Also, the new enemies like red Drones that have shields and the different Hunters and Engineers add a totally awesome twist to it. Plus, I think removing the BR was a good choice because all I always heard in Halo 3 MM was, "I'll grab that BR." "You suck at BRing!!" "I'm beast with the BR." But, let's face it, the BR was the easiest weapon to use in Halo 3. The first time I played the game I got the top of my team in Big Team and my tool of destruction was the BR. Overall, I think the expansion is GREAT.

EDIT 2: And let's not forget, the 'game' is an expansion. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back