Lhc

Status
Not open for further replies.

anonymous

Jr Member
As we all know, science has taken amazing steps in the recent years. But has it gone a tad to far? An experiment is soon going ot be conducted, I believe in the next twenty-four hours. This will involve the collision of two protons going 99.879% the speed of light, before being force to collide head on. The speed of light, is around 299,792,458 m/s depending on the medium. The protons will be going around 299,429,709.16 m/s. Thats just a little faster than the guys with the Lambo down the street... But anywho, some say the collision will make a black whole, some say it will just shatter, what do you all think?

http://www.uslhc.us/What_is_the_LHC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik61q0FpoyE

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...p-lsf090408.php

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...troy-the-earth/

http://www.universetoday.com/2008/09/04/th...e-internet-too/

I say wait and see. Black hole? I really doubt it. Shattering the protons is the likely outcome. As long as nothing happens to Bungie before TU2, it really doesn't matter to me! Nice find.

I say that sensationalist journalism is devoid of scientific merit. :p

No black holes... just... no. There are already plenty of other supercolliders in operation throughout the world. Did they make black holes? Nope. This is just just news people trying to make you all scared and to sell more papers and advertising.

Wiki sayeth:
Although a few have questioned the safety of the planned experiments at the LHC in the media and through the courts,[7] there is no scientific basis for any conceivable threat.[32]

Physicist Martin Rees is reported to have calculated, in his book Our Final Hour, that the probability of the Large Hadron Collider causing a global catastrophe or black hole is 1 in 50 million.[33][34][35] However, Rees has also reported not to be "losing sleep over the collider," and trusts the scientists who have built it.[36] He has stated, "My book has been misquoted in one or two places. I would refer you to the up-to-date safety study."[37]

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yeah, you got me.. I'll call Martin Rees and tell him that the internet doesn't believe him because 'this ones faster' :lol:

You have a sort of sick desperation in your humor... I like it very much. But back on topic, there is also the possibilities of "strangelets." Although only a theory, so was gravity, and also that the world was flat.

I've been reading about this. I'm really interested to see what happens..

I saw this on Digg(Yesterday, I think):
"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

lol@Sean.

Ok, I'm sick of this kind of sensationalist BS. Smashing particles doesn't make a black hole, smashing particles creates (and I mean that in the loosest sense possible, because you can't "create" matter, you can only manipulate it...) other particles that we want to study. Sleep well.

Seriously, the people who make these kinds of things up think ALL science fiction is real, including concepts that obviously came from someone's imagination.

EDIT:

"This will involve the collision of two protons going 99.879% the speed of sound"

Yeah, ok, if you copy pasted that from a site, that disproves it even more... they can't even get different velocities sorted out with the correct name, so you really shouldn't believe any other claims they make. If it's just an honest typo on your part, then disregard this.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
"This will involve the collision of two protons going 99.879% the speed of sound"

Yeah, ok, if you copy pasted that from a site, that disproves it even more... they can't even get different velocities sorted out with the correct name, so you really shouldn't believe any other claims they make. If it's just an honest typo on your part, then disregard this.

That was a typo on my part, were all human.

Well, I think physics is best left to Physicists. I think this is being sensationalized to try to alarm people who don't understand it. People in general are scared of science.. these people with their black hole story on this are taking advantage of ignorance and fear.

Now, when you tell me that they're going to smash two Spartans together at the speed of light, then I think I'll have something to say about it.

...hmm. if one's yellow and the others blue... will it make 'Master Chief' green? :D

Sean Bradley said:
Well, I think physics is best left to Physicists. I think this is being sensationalized to try to alarm people who don't understand it. People in general are scared of science.. these people with their black hole story on this are taking advantage of ignorance and fear.

Now, when you tell me that they're going to smash two Spartans together at the speed of light, then I think I'll have something to say about it.

...hmm. if one's yellow and the others blue... will it make 'Master Chief' green? :D

Actually, you know, I think it just might be a secret Fundamentalist recruiting campaign...

"Science is dangerous, they'll kill us all"

Well, you'll get to Heaven faster. Lol.

But in all seriousness, I think that if somebody can't back up a claim like this with solid evidence, then they should keep their mouths closed and their thoughts to themselves.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
[...]
But in all seriousness, I think that if somebody can't back up a claim like this with solid evidence, then they should keep their mouths closed and their thoughts to themselves.
Well, we can't prove that it's not going to happen either, so it goes both ways.

Like it's been said before, probably nothing to worry about, but we still can't be sure.

/skeptic

gamerguy55 said:
Well, we can't prove that it's not going to happen either, so it goes both ways.
Like it's been said before, probably nothing to worry about, but we still can't be sure.

/skeptic

I'm definitely not worried. If it does happen, I want to see if God is real. Lol

I did my graduate paper on nature of black holes, and I can tell you as well as many prominent physicists around the world, the possibility of creating a black hole massive enough to pose ANY threat is simply non-existent. They're talking about two particles there. The only thing they can create are micro black holes. Micro black holes don't have sufficient mass to sustain themselves for even (literally!) one second, they self-destruct. Black holes, as they devour matter, lose mass due to radiation emissions (contradictory as it may sound, it's true) until they eventually self-destruct. This process takes millions of years for average sized black holes we know universe is filled with, those that are born from stellar death. Micro black holes are SO infinitely tiny that no matter what matter they come in touch with, even though their lifespan is so short that it excludes the possibility of coming in touch with any solid matter whatsoever, they wouldn't live long enough to gain the mass to anything even remotely threatening. It's common knowledge that there may have already been, are and will be hundreds of micro black holes around us created by various nuclear processes, and they never even get noticed because they self-destruct. Micro black holes have indeed been created in a laboratory before and their lifespan was something like a hundredth of a nanosecond. Two simple subatomic particles cannot create any black hole with any threat to anything. Period. I'd be more than willing to post my paper here but I think it may be a bit too long.

If my palm hits my face at the speed of light will the world be swallowed then too? :eek:

EDIT: Very well put Odessa, thanks.

Odessa-086 said:
I did my graduate paper on nature of black holes, and I can tell you as well as many prominent physicists around the world, the possibility of creating a black hole massive enough to pose ANY threat is simply non-existent. They're talking about two particles there. The only thing they can create are micro black holes. Micro black holes don't have sufficient mass to sustain themselves for even (literally!) one second, they self-destruct. Black holes, as they devour matter, lose mass due to radiation emissions (contradictory as it may sound, it's true) until they eventually self-destruct. This process takes millions of years for average sized black holes we know universe is filled with, those that are born from stellar death. Micro black holes are SO infinitely tiny that no matter what matter they come in touch with, even though their lifespan is so short that it excludes the possibility of coming in touch with any solid matter whatsoever, they wouldn't live long enough to gain the mass to anything even remotely threatening. It's common knowledge that there may have already been, are and will be hundreds of micro black holes around us created by various nuclear processes, and they never even get noticed because they self-destruct. Micro black holes have indeed been created in a laboratory before and their lifespan was something like a hundredth of a nanosecond. Two simple subatomic particles cannot create any black hole with any threat to anything. Period. I'd be more than willing to post my paper here but I think it may be a bit too long.

Well-explained. thank you for clarifying this.

Hehe, "micro black holes" reminds me of the description of how a UNSC slipspace engine was supposed to work.

"Particle accelerator that generates micro black holes which evaporate from Hawking radiation in a hundredth of a second" or something like that

@Odessa-086, it's good to see another physicist on the boards. I've spent much of the day today explaining to people about the micro black holes and how unlikely it is for them to cause the end of the world because of their tendency to evaporate away. It's so laughable that people actually filed lawsuits to stop the LHC from going online because of those misplaced and misinformed fears.

I have a feeling that I'm going to have to explain the same thing again to more people tomorrow. :cautious:

Hahahaha! Sean, you'r a trip XD

I for one have nothing constructive to say here, I dont even undersatnd basic Chemistry... but this sounds interesting. I have a feeling that Odessa has her theory spot on.

Science: it's delicious.

"Hawking Radiation" is also just a theory, there is no actual proof that black whole react in such a way. Also, Odessa-086, could you please post a reference to when and where black wholes have been created?

Status
Not open for further replies.