Looking to make my first suit, I want to make a recon helmet/chest, not sure on which legs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to the start of your armor making journey! First let’s decide on what medium of material you wanna do. I recommend foam as a material, especially for beginners as it’s easy to put together. Armor files can be found in our Armory, organized by game. Hope this helps

Welcome to the start of your armor making journey! First let’s decide on what medium of material you wanna do. I recommend foam as a material, especially for beginners as it’s easy to put together. Armor files can be found in our Armory, organized by game. Hope this helps
What sort of finish do you get from foam? What sort of foam do you use etc?

What sort of finish do you get from foam? What sort of foam do you use etc?
Alooha CWayte! The best place to get cosplay foam in Australia would be from Lumin's Workshop. It's EVA foam, the same type as gym floor mats are made out of, but this cosplay foam is denser than the floor mats so it's more rigid and sands better (not to say people haven't pulled off some amazing armour with floor mats, which many have). The downside is it does cost more, so it's personal preference which you go for.

You can get quite a good finish with foam - not mirror quality, but great for most armour. That also depends on how you seal it, such as with Mod Podge, Flex Bond, or Plasti Dip - though this last one is quite expensive over here.

The two other major types of materials to use to make armour would be 3D printed, or using the pepakura (paper craft) method.

Alooha CWayte! The best place to get cosplay foam in Australia would be from Lumin's Workshop. It's EVA foam, the same type as gym floor mats are made out of, but this cosplay foam is denser than the floor mats so it's more rigid and sands better (not to say people haven't pulled off some amazing armour with floor mats, which many have). The downside is it does cost more, so it's personal preference which you go for.

You can get quite a good finish with foam - not mirror quality, but great for most armour. That also depends on how you seal it, such as with Mod Podge, Flex Bond, or Plasti Dip - though this last one is quite expensive over here.

The two other major types of materials to use to make armour would be 3D printed, or using the pepakura (paper craft) method.
I think I’ve seen people doing fibreglass? Is that essentially a spin on the pepakura?

Maybe I’ll start with the EVA Foam and then make my way from there, I’ll probably have to buy absolutely everything I need, tools included

Hi there,

Absolute total newbie here from Australia, I’m looking to make a suit, I want to make a recon helmet and chest, I’m not sure on the arms and legs.

Where do I even begin please?

Oh my god so many options what’s a good starting point? How much roughly would you use for the average build? Does anyone have any links to any good video tutorials or anything?

Attachments

• C55741EB-03B4-4818-BD0A-C174EBA885C3.png
    C55741EB-03B4-4818-BD0A-C174EBA885C3.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 110
  • 5F5F2EC9-EEE4-4154-97A4-9968771442E2.png
    5F5F2EC9-EEE4-4154-97A4-9968771442E2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 101
  • AA19ABF7-5CF3-487A-B279-39A53EF517E7.png
    AA19ABF7-5CF3-487A-B279-39A53EF517E7.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 113
Hey welcome to the group, I've done foam builds and am working on a 3d print build so if you have any questions ill do my best t help you!

I am actually making my own Halo 3 Recon/ODST spartan right now! if you are going to do halo 3 I would load up MCC and customize your spartan until you have a look you like then go from there. There are lots of different legs for the Halo 3 spartan

Oh my god so many options what’s a good starting point? How much roughly would you use for the average build? Does anyone have any links to any good video tutorials or anything?
I'd say go for their original high density foam, and for armour, I personally like to use around 6-8mm thick foam, with 1mm and 3mm for details. This foam guide here written by our members has a lot of juicy info, and Random Ranger's spartan tutorials will be a good video starting point (one of his videos can be found on that page, which can take you to his channel).

As for your fibreglass question - yes, fibreglass is used on paper builds to make them solid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back