Lord Farquaad’S Fallout 3 Enclave Power Armor W.i.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farquaad

Jr Member
So I had decided I wanted to do a costume for Dragoncon this year since I hadn’t done one in a while (A few years back I did the Gir in my profile pic). After a little research on the interwebz about the best way to go about this, I stumbled upon this site. Like most people, my first thought was ‘how good can paper armor possibly be?’ but it was hard to argue with the results. The more pics of people’s armor I saw on here, the more convinced I was that this would be the way to go. Unfortunately by the time I started, I had a very aggressive time table to keep if I wanted to make my deadline and there were several points where I was certain I would not make it in time. From the physical start of pepping the armor to finish, my total build time was 9 weeks and 4 days. In the end I had to cut a lot of corners and I’ll definitely be going back and revising my process and improving my armor for next year, but considering the steep learning curve, overall I am pleased with ver. 1.0 of my Fallout Enclave armor. I had never worked with pepakura, fiberglass, or bondo before so it was quite a learning experience which I have you guys to thank for!

First, I did an alien blaster just to make sure the pepakura process was as reliable and appealing as it appeared.... It was:

3902578520_09277a291e.jpg

I did this without color printing, or bondoing the finished piece or anything and it shows. It was more of a ‘proof of concept’ for me than anything. In retrospect, I think I may do a nicer version and cast it because it’s such a simple and iconic weapon of the game.

Onto the armor... just getting the pep files functional was an endeavor in and of itself. There was a lot of trial and error on both scaling it and fitting the pieces to me. I had to teach myself Blender to alter the models since most of the original files are not fit for human physiology. I had to redo certain pieces several times and I will probably go back and redo most of these for ver. 2.0 Unfortunately, I didn’t take too many pics since I was in a time crunch to get it done for the con, but I have some pics of various states of completion.

After finally getting everything pepped:

3901799401_92a3063494.jpg

Notice a few pieces are already resined at this point. I was resining pieces during the day and working on pep at night as time allowed. And I have no reason why I decided to use blue cardstock for the helmet. :)

Then came the fiberglass:

3901799671_65b18000de.jpg

I have decided I dislike this stuff immensely, but it certainly filled an important function. Sadly, by the time I got to the bondo phase, I was so pressed for time that taking pics was completely forgotten. The next time I was calm enough to think about taking pics of it, I had finshed bondo, sanding, painting, and strapping and was finally at Dragoncon!

So here it is laid out on my bed in the hotel room:

Front

3902579540_e3fabefe97.jpg

side

3901800423_bf7c6029a7.jpg

And here’s what it looked like once I got it on:

Front

3901800619_1c117521d6.jpg

Side

3902580168_433dfdbe96.jpg

Back

3902580346_df28d796dd.jpg

All-in-all, I am happy with how it turned out, but I really half-assed several things and it is clearly incomplete in certain aspects. Note: I’m wearing my work boots because the armor boots weren’t finished enough to be very functional. Also the hoses are connected in the wrong places because they were interfering with the helmet. And a balaclava woulda helped, but I didn’t have time to get one (yes, the hair in the back is my ponytail sticking out). I left the light on the top center of the helm open to allow for a little air flow (emphasis on little) and never completed the round parts on the inside of the horns on the helmet (if you’re very familiar with the game you can tell, otherwise you’d probably never notice). The belt was also not finished since I wanted to do it in foam. And don’t even get me started on the paint job. I didn’t have time to properly weather it or even finish highlights like making the front respirator a lighter shade. But even considering those mistakes and omissions, I think it came out well.

Here are a couple close-ups of the helmet just so you can see how badly it was rushed and thus how half-assed the detailing is:

Front

3902580602_f6a5bccabb.jpg

Side

3901801437_c9d9a564d1.jpg

So, like I said; overall not a bad first attempt. I certainly think it went easier than if I had built a body cast and hand sculpted everything and I think future projects will be easier especially since learning Blender consumed such a large portion of my build time. But what do you all think? Did I do a decent enough job on it? Constructive criticism anyone? I look forward to hearing everyone’s comments and observations…

You still got first claim on a complete Adv. Pwr Armor Mk II.

Nice work man and congrats on having a suit to show at Dcon!

@Mirage

Well, they were $5 knock-offs. :)

@Sigma-LS

Thanks, it was a h3ll of a time crunch but totally worth it.

@zabicvamic

I made all the files (with the exception of the helmet that was in the fallout files section). The armor is so specific to personal fit that it requires a lot of personalized sizing.

I notice you've got a pepped PipBoy, but aren't wearing it in the costume... Was this because it was unfinished, or for some other reason?

Also, may I ask what Pipboy Pep file you used? Do you have a link to it?

nice to see these models come completely together it has been a long haul from ripping them to the guys modifying them to completion has only taken a year since the models have been ripped excellent job!!!!

zabicvamic said:
soooo can i haves them plz

Like I said, the armor had to be personalized quite a bit to fit, so unless you're 6'1" and about 175lbs, I doubt it will do you much good. I think the ones Smilie is working on in another thread will fit much better. As it is, I will have redo mine to fix a few issues and make me happy.

Achille said:
I notice you've got a pepped PipBoy, but aren't wearing it in the costume... Was this because it was unfinished, or for some other reason?

Also, may I ask what Pipboy Pep file you used? Do you have a link to it?

haha Actually, I did finish it, but it didn't fit me as well as I was hoping. It did however fit my friend so we made him a vault suit and a blaster and he went as a 'Gary' from vault 108. The pipboy file I made myself from the game files. It was a large part of my learning Blender because that file was a MESS! If you PM me your email, I'll send you the file.

kaaskop said:
really awesome looking!

Thanks!

Yodajammies said:
I must say, your armor looked phenomenal in person. Great work man.

Man, I wish people had known I was from the 405th. Did you introduce yourself? Man, drinking and cosplay sadly DO mix. :)

Vampyredh said:
nice to see these models come completely together it has been a long haul from ripping them to the guys modifying them to completion has only taken a year since the models have been ripped excellent job!!!!

Actually, I ended up re-ripping the game models because of some skewing problems I had with the obj's that you had. Of course I must give you a lot of credit though. If I hadn't found your files in the first place, I'd have never started on this project! ThanX!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vampyredh said:
my pleasure happiness is what I strive for lol but great job man really impressed

Thanks! But, this is definitely version 1.0 I plan on redoing most, if not all of this. I think a new helmet comes first. I had issues with the fit because of the little light portruding into my skull and taking away the extra room I thought I had for padding and such. It really wasn't that noticeable when it was paper but once I glassed it and it was immobile, then it was a pain. And the ventilation needs to be better because my lenses were fogging so bad I could hardly see my friend in front of me. And don't get me started on my last minute strapping. I need to do a complete overhaul before the perfectionist in me is happy. This was a 'get-it-done' project. My next one will be a 'get-it-done-right' project!

Last edited by a moderator:
Incredibly great work. I remember seeing these up in the gallery and wondering where a thread was for this armour because it was so neat. =P Thank goodness you changed your avatar, thatm ade it easy to find.

I've been a big fan of the Enclave armour since Fallout2, so it's wonderful to finally see it off the video screens. It's incredibly great work, especially when you take into account first time, the time crunch, and the self-made pep files.

As far as criticism goes, I think you can figure out most of the behind-the-scenes stuff that doesn't show up in pictures (like strapping) on your own. The limbs in the front view seem a bit skinny....but the side view looks fine, so it might just be the camera being angled downward slightly. Anyways, I think it's already been mentioned before that if the Fallout armour was scaled to the in-game sizes, it'd be too bulky to move in...because we aren't all post-apocalyptic beefy manly men.

And I totally relate with you on the "get-it-done" to "get-it-done-right" phase. =P This reminds me a lot of my experience with my ODST suit, though I don't think it was quite as complicated as your suit, since I was blessed with ready-made files for most of my pieces, so you get double props for that.

Again, great work.

awesome job were can i get the pep files from for this armor i seen the pep file for t51b but Enclave Power Armor looks better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back