Low Res Test Fits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadrik

Hi everyone!

A few years ago, i attempted a MC helmet as my first try, and it went great until Ii hardened it, and it no longer fit on my giant head. Now the hardening didnt shrink it, it just no longer was able to wiggle it on.

MC Bucket.jpg

Now i was exploring through the file archive, and i wasnt able to find what i was looking for. Is there any pep files that come with different designs. Either a low and high res one so i can make a basic model for test fitting, or perhaps is there a way to test beforehand that it will fit?

Thanks, and i apologize if this answer is in a FAQ somewhere. I tried reading around, and still am, its just so much information.

Welcome! back? Lol.

Everything you really need to know is in the New Recruit Sticky: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=10744 (You'll note that the fourth link on that page is the answer to your question.) Also links to Help! threads where you should post future questions.

Other helpful stickies can be found in the Costuming subforum: http://www.405th.com/halo-costumes-armor/

Also there are tons of files in the archive! Looks like you're doing a Halo 3 Mk, VI?? I was able to find two LD ones and two HD there. Good luck!

I just uploaded one of those files. The other wasn't that low Def.

Lol. Yeah I noticed after I posted my reply. :rolleyes :thumbsup

I get that an LD tester is nice, but for how much extra work I don't see the pay off. I've been very happy with using the scaling method (method #1 in the 2.0 thread) to get the piece close and then using the Pepakura Designer's measuring feature to fine tune it to me.

Welcome! back? Lol.

Everything you really need to know is in the New Recruit Sticky: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=10744 (You'll note that the fourth link on that page is the answer to your question.) Also links to Help! threads where you should post future questions.

Other helpful stickies can be found in the Costuming subforum: http://www.405th.com/halo-costumes-armor/

Also there are tons of files in the archive! Looks like you're doing a Halo 3 Mk, VI?? I was able to find two LD ones and two HD there. Good luck!

I was looking through and i used it originally, but ultimately failed. I was looking more for a simple bucket that i could test fit, that would be similar to another model (similar scaling)

I just uploaded one of those files. The other wasn't that low Def.

I will give yours a whirl, thanks!

I found what works for me is to pep the neck rim first and if it doesn't fit go bigger. If you feel that the pep is getting to big you could always just leave out the nick rim or bottom area and place a foamie neck garter there or even pep out your own larger neck rim.

I found what works for me is to pep the neck rim first and if it doesn't fit go bigger. If you feel that the pep is getting to big you could always just leave out the nick rim or bottom area and place a foamie neck garter there or even pep out your own larger neck rim.

Ahh thats a great idea, thanks!

In my opinion your best bet is to get detailed measurements of your head.For me, I used a kevlar helmet I have lying around, sized the internal band to fit correctly, and then took measurements of the band's width/length, the inside kevlar width/length, and the thickness of the kevlar. Beyond that, it was simply measuring distances in pepakura to match the helmet to, at least on one level, fit.

Another option you can think of is using a dremel to cut away parts of your existing helmet neck area and attach some magnets to what you cut out and make it a removable piece. A lot of builders use rare earth magnets as they are very strong.

In my opinion your best bet is to get detailed measurements of your head.For me, I used a kevlar helmet I have lying around, sized the internal band to fit correctly, and then took measurements of the band's width/length, the inside kevlar width/length, and the thickness of the kevlar. Beyond that, it was simply measuring distances in pepakura to match the helmet to, at least on one level, fit.

I dont think it was my head dimensions that i messed up on, but rather, how much extra to scale it up. I guess when i did it the first time, it wasnt scaled up enough. I think extra room would have been better and i can build up the inside to get a better fit.

Another option you can think of is using a dremel to cut away parts of your existing helmet neck area and attach some magnets to what you cut out and make it a removable piece. A lot of builders use rare earth magnets as they are very strong.

I was thinking of that because it would have been a shame to waste the helmet, however i think even if i did that, it would still be really tight on my face on its own, let alone after placing interior foam and padding.

Well now at least you could still finish it up and have a display only helmet. Or at least have something you can try things out on before you do something to your wearable helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back