Props M41 Light Anti-aircraft Gun Building Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme TACTICS 101

Hey all, Its me again

The real new topic starts at post# 19. Everything before that was about makeing self ejecting ammunition for MA5C.

Ive decided to sumwhat drop this project. Im going to upgrade from an assault rifle to the M41 Light Anti-Aircraft Gun used on the Elephant and the back of the Warthog. Its going to have the same features as the assault rifle, but won't quite eject shells. The charging handle will be spring loaded and when pulled back and reliced, will spring forward again. I have come accross a link of 50 .50 cal. dummy rounds, and will use them for add realisim. Alls I need now are referance pictures. I need pictures of everything, sights, bullet shields, shell eject port, chargeing handel, barrel, triggers+handels, and shoulder pads. I don't have halo 3, so I cant take any screenshots, and ive been having trouble finding pictures of it. Any help will be HIGHLY appreshiated, and you will be creatited with the finished weapon.

CHEERS!

this conversation has popped up numerous times, someone said spring action, but i can't help you on this. ask a gunsmith.

rvb4life said:
this conversation has popped up numerous times, someone said spring action, but i can't help you on this. ask a gunsmith.

Ok, thanks. Mod, if you run across this topic, please delete this if you wish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that this would be very practical, just because if your weapons look too "real" you could get in trouble, or get your prop confiscated. I'm not saying its a bad idea, but I don't thin kit would work for anything besides fan-films.

You could just have a magazine spring loaded to fire all the empty shells out, but the downside would be you wouldn't be able to stop it.

well you could modifey an airsoft gun (electric) and when the air chamber goes back the bullte will be pushed out i'll design it, sort of, what else is art foundations for eh?

heres my two cents, keep in mind this is based off of adam's AR casts.

you could modify the magazine so the lips that normally retain the cartridges retract when the magazine is pushed into the rifle via two small sliding latches on either side. that way, when they get pulled down the lips retract.

from there you could use the preexisting electronics chips for the rifle and splice in a solenoid that would pull its rod back from above the cartridges and return it to keep the rest of the rounds from spilling out. you'd probably want to splice it in the same area that utilized the LED in the muzzle form muzzle flash and modify it so you won't have a drastic voltage drop that could affect either the LED or the solenoid itself.

hope it works for you

I have a theory!!
Ok so this is how the mag would look.

Now the theory is. The spring pushes the cocker along the barrel which in turn pushes the round out of the magazine.

When the cocker reaches the pin, it locks in and holds the cocker in place. The trigger would be connected to the pin.
When u pull the trigger, the spring would recompress, pulling the cocker back behind the magazine. When the spring was compressed it would push the cocker back up the barrel and along with it the next bullet until it was locked with the pin. Inside the barrel would be a little platform with a spring which would be compressed when the bullet was in the chamber. When the cocker was pulled back, the platform would spring out ejecting the bullet.

Wat you guys think?

This was discussed in another topic a few months back. http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14327&st=0 Here's my take on it from that thread.

This is a really cool idea. I think that you may run into packaging issues in the receiver of the AR. It's going to be pretty narrow inside there. If you use the 7.62x51mm case that the AR supposedly uses, then your mechanism will need to be really compact yet sturdy. I may be missing something, so more detailed drawings may help. I have an idea that may work. Basically it's a bolt carrier that sits above the trigger area. A motor drives the bolt carrier back to where it rides over the shell casings that sit in the magazine. The carrier strips off the top casing and drives it forward. As the shell and carrier move forward the shell rides along a ramp that pushes the nose of the casing outwards towards the ejection port. The bolt carrier has a slot cut in it for the ramp to ride in. The bolt carrier, having ejected the shell, then returns to its forward resting position, ready to eject the next shell. I'll try to produce some drawings to better explain this. Hope this is constructive.

So basically it's what you came up with, only reversed and without the spring-loaded platform. I'd say build it and get it to work. Should be cool.

someone a while ago made a sniper rifle that ejected empty co2 cartrages.... my freind said if he found a way to after the slide is racked pull the trigger it pops them then you rack the slide again it ejecs the spent "case" it be awsome id find that post.

Alright, dig this.

The first suggestion is for the design by Joobi Doob. First, the design is excellent and I commend you. But it may require some work to make it function correctly. The bolt- that is, the object that guides the bullet into the chamber, is misshaped- the block in the rear of the bolt will jam the round against the ramp, which is far too long. I suggest that you hollow out the bolt, making it something like an empty cylinder with a cut underneath to load the round. Also the buffer spring that pushes against the bolt should have some kind of guide to ensure it does not twist or bind up. Since it cannot be put into a tube (like the M-16 series), I would suggest you make it a smaller diameter and push it onto a guide rod mounted on the rear of the reciever. Since the weapon does not fire an actual rifle cartridge, it will not need to lock in place. However, the bolt would still need to effectively eject the round. The spring idea is creative, but ultimately the spring will either not generate enough energy to eject the round, or it will be so stiff that it will keep the bolt from closing completely. I would suggest the same way just about every firearm uses- a bolt-mounted ejector. It is a catch that latches onto the groove at the end of the brass casing. When the bolt pushes back, the ejector pulls back on the casing from one side, causing the round to flip like a coin when it ejects. Ejection will be best achieved by either gas (CO2 or Green Gas) or by an electic solenoid that can hit the bolt via short-stroke piston, driving the bolt back. The advantage to this system is that it will work exactly the way you want it to. The disadvantage is that it may not work exactly the way you want it to. This is a project that will require a lot of planning, plotting, measuring, and time. Most of the parts will be under high stress too, which would warrant casting or milling many of these parts from metal.

But fear not, for there is another way. RAP4.com makes .43 caliber paintball and airsoft weapons that look and work just like the real thing. They use brass or plastic casings that fit around the projectile and are ejected when the round is fired. Although these casings do not look much like real bullets, the effect is convincing (plus there is the whole "that's what it looks like in the future!" thing). The idea is to buy one (not cheap) and retrofit it to work for you. Smash it and use the internals or build a shroud that wraps around the gun- your call. These weapons operate on compressed CO2 tanks that are hidden in the buttstocks. The pistol line does not use casings.

However, you might wish to consider why you would like such a feature on a model. Sure, the effect is novel, but perhaps it may not be worth the considerable effort to build a machine that does little more than make a mess on the floor. Anyone that has to police up spent brass casings from an M249 will tell you that doing so is the least fun when operating it. The SAW will throw brass in just about every direction. My point is that it may sound like a great idea now, but the novelty may wear off after many clean ups and lost casings. Just trying to help. Anywho, anyone who wants designs can PM me and I'll have improved drawings ready for them in a day or two. Best of luck, gentlemen!

JoobiDoob said:
I have a theory!!
Ok so this is how the mag would look.

Now the theory is. The spring pushes the cocker along the barrel which in turn pushes the round out of the magazine.

When the cocker reaches the pin, it locks in and holds the cocker in place. The trigger would be connected to the pin.
When u pull the trigger, the spring would recompress, pulling the cocker back behind the magazine. When the spring was compressed it would push the cocker back up the barrel and along with it the next bullet until it was locked with the pin. Inside the barrel would be a little platform with a spring which would be compressed when the bullet was in the chamber. When the cocker was pulled back, the platform would spring out ejecting the bullet.

Wat you guys think?

lol looks...good

Lol the pictures weren't designed to look good or be entirely functional. They were just there to help get my idea across.

Dude, if you're gonna make it eject shells, you oughta just either make it real by making it fire actual .308rds or .308 blanks. If you need reference for a bullpup ejection design, i'd suggest looking at the innards of a French FAMAS, a British L85-A1, or the Styeur AUG. These are all bullpup rifles and the FAMAS looks like it was reverse engineered off of to get the Halo BR.

BFDesigns said:
Dude, if you're gonna make it eject shells, you oughta just either make it real by making it fire actual .308rds or .308 blanks.
I think the idea here is to get basically the same operation while never using real ammunition, just empty casings. That way you could reuse the same 20 or so casings instead of going through that many blanks every time you want to fire it off (which I can't imagine would be anything close to cheap.)

BFDesigns said:
Dude, if you're gonna make it eject shells, you oughta just either make it real by making it fire actual .308rds or .308 blanks. If you need reference for a bullpup ejection design, i'd suggest looking at the innards of a French FAMAS, a British L85-A1, or the Styeur AUG. These are all bullpup rifles and the FAMAS looks like it was reverse engineered off of to get the Halo BR.

Alright, dig this-

I would imagine there would be legal repercussions for a rifle that is made by an unliscensed firearm builder. The ATF would certainly have a field day on that one. There's a lot of red tape and fees required to build a weapon, so I won't suggest it. Making blank guns can be just as dangerous as building a real gun from scratch, though. And to be fair with the public, intentions matter not. If it looks like a gun, works like a gun, sounds like a gun, and is in public areas, then be prepared to deal with the police. Also keep in mind that most guns are manufactured from high grade steel and are carefully machined to withstand enormous stress. Granted that some makeshift guns are made from seamless pipes and scraps, this may not be the safest way to go. But either way, you'll be working with lots of metal. This turns into a very expensive and unforgiving build. Once again I would suggest that you either go electric or gas to pull empty shells out- or just scrap it all together. But if you want to go that way, I would strongly suggest you at least look up your local laws on gun building and secure permission from the ATF (or equal agency if you live outside the US) to build such a model, firearm or blank. Such a build may not be worth a lot of money and time in jail, not to mention possible injury or death to yourself and/or others. Be very careful, dude.

Oh, and by the way- the Halo Battle Rifle has no real connection with the French FAMAS or any other firearm in design or operation; their resemblence is purely coincidental.

Ok, I have the AR blueprints almost done. I have a spring loaded mag, and now im working on getting a cheep airsoft AEG (i'll mod it to push the shells) to push the shells at about 7-10 shells per second. Now, for the shell eject port, the shutter that goes back and forth realy fast for a real AEG, im just going to open it when I feel like firing the shells, and close it when im done.

For the prototype of the assault rifle, im just going to make a shutter (charging handel) workable. The mag will also be removeable, and it will be spring loaded with 32 .308 shells (closest shell size you can get easily with out buying over the internet)

I'll keep you all posted, and I'll probably make the battle rifle V4 im making.

CHEERS!

Sorry for the double post again, but ive decided to sumwhat drop this project. Im going to upgrade from an assault rifle to the M41 Light Anti-Aircraft Gun used on the Elephant and the back of the Warthog. Its going to have the same features as the assault rifle, but won't quite eject shells. The charging handle will be spring loaded and when pulled back and reliced, will spring forward again. I have come accross a link of 50 .50 cal. dummy rounds, and will use them for add realisim. Alls I need now are referance pictures. I need pictures of everything, sights, bullet shields, shell eject port, chargeing handel, barrel, triggers+handels, and shoulder pads. I don't have halo 3, so I cant take any screenshots, and ive been having trouble finding pictures of it. Any help will be HIGHLY appreshiated, and you will be creatited with the finished weapon.

CHEERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back