Mac user in need of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLhell41

Hey ya'll,

Just recently started off with making my own set of armor, bought an OBJ file and the guy didn't make it known that it was incomplete so already off to a semi-bad start. I am an Apple user so I've been trying to do all of this off of my macbook with the Catalina update and it's been a pain in my rear to try to get files and apps to use them on. Any advice for guys in my situation?
I'm working on getting my pc repaired, so eventually it won't be an issue anymore.

What are you trying to to do exactly? For mesh editing, blender should work on catalina. If you want to use pepakura, due to catalina removing 32bit support, it's probably easier to install ubuntu in a virtual machine or using bootcamp and run pepakura with wine there.

Blender works fine on MacOS as long as you have decent specs on your machine.

I'm assuming because you're on Catalina that you're on an Intel chip Mac rather than the new M1 Macs.
It it's only temporary, I'd probably go the VM route as a first choice for Pepakura or Armorsmith. It's not ideal by any means, but if you don't expect to have to use your Mac for more than a couple of months I'd just install the VM. If you expect it will be awhile I'd switch to Boot Camp assuming you have at least 64GB of free storage space that Apple claims is the minimum requirement (recommend at least 128GB).

What are you trying to to do exactly? For mesh editing, blender should work on catalina. If you want to use pepakura, due to catalina removing 32bit support, it's probably easier to install ubuntu in a virtual machine or using bootcamp and run pepakura with wine there.
Yeah I have blender, I guess I am just looking for a pepakura alt, or just another way to run it. For some reason every time I try to run my Wineskin, it won’t let me add or create a new wrapper so it’s useless. I’ll try the VM here in a bit and see how that goes. Thanks mate!
Blender works fine on MacOS as long as you have decent specs on your machine.

I'm assuming because you're on Catalina that you're on an Intel chip Mac rather than the new M1 Macs.
It it's only temporary, I'd probably go the VM route as a first choice for Pepakura or Armorsmith. It's not ideal by any means, but if you don't expect to have to use your Mac for more than a couple of months I'd just install the VM. If you expect it will be awhile I'd switch to Boot Camp assuming you have at least 64GB of free storage space that Apple claims is the minimum requirement (recommend at least 128GB).
Yeah Blender works completely fine,(thanks the nine divine) and your spot on with all that. I’d rather run armorsmith if I could, I have a 2tb ex hard drive if I need to data dump onto there. I’ll let y’all know how it goes. Thanks!

Hey ya'll,

Just recently started off with making my own set of armor, bought an OBJ file and the guy didn't make it known that it was incomplete so already off to a semi-bad start. I am an Apple user so I've been trying to do all of this off of my macbook with the Catalina update and it's been a pain in my rear to try to get files and apps to use them on. Any advice for guys in my situation?
I'm working on getting my pc repaired, so eventually it won't be an issue anymore.
What's the model that's incomplete? We might have something to fill in the blanks in The Armory.

Armorsmith might run with wine too, but I can't test that. The reason wineskin doesn't let you add a new wrapper is probably that apple dropped 32bit support with Catalina, so there's not much you can do about it in macos. You don't need 64gb for ubuntu necessarly if you're not doing too much with it, windows needs a bit more (32gb should be fine for either one if you don't want to install too much).

What's the model that's incomplete? We might have something to fill in the blanks in The Armory.
It's a Halo 4 Mark VI armor, I don't know why i haven't looked here for a complete one. I just assumed nobody had OBJ files on hand.

Armorsmith might run with wine too, but I can't test that. The reason wineskin doesn't let you add a new wrapper is probably that apple dropped 32bit support with Catalina, so there's not much you can do about it in macos. You don't need 64gb for ubuntu necessarly if you're not doing too much with it, windows needs a bit more (32gb should be fine for either one if you don't want to install too much).
Actually that would make a lot of sense... So which route do you think would be the best option...?

It's a Halo 4 Mark VI armor, I don't know why i haven't looked here for a complete one. I just assumed nobody had OBJ files on hand.

Actually that would make a lot of sense... So which route do you think would be the best option...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back