Making Iron Man: Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ironclover

So I have recently begun sculpting Iron Mans helmet from the new movie. I am sculpting it out of clay and then going to make a mold and thats when casting shall begin. Here are some of the first progress pics.

Ironman004-1.jpg

Ironman005-1.jpg

Ironman006-1.jpg

Anything to add would be great. This is my first time doin anything like this. Thanks.

IC

Well thank you skupilkinson.

That was the progress of about a week ago, then I realized that it was a bit too small.

So I went out and bought some more clay and slapped it on. I have just started to re carve the eyes.

keep a mirror near while you sculpt, every now and then, look at the sculpt in the mirror.

mirror hmm? well ill try that!

thanks for the tips and encouragement.

I will have some new progress pics tomorrow because I had to make it a bit bigger...

Also, what type of clay are you using? Water or oil based? That will make a difference..if you attempt to mold it.

Good job so far!

Well, I believe I am using a water based clay.

I went to the nearest craft store and saw that they have 5 lbs. buckets for 10 dollars. It is made by Crayola... I know its the little kid craft company, but it has been working out fine so far.

Well in the mornin when I post the new pics it will look totally different because I had to basically restart... but I like it better so far.

And here are some new update pictures....

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

I tried to add a bit of the clay container so you could see what I was talking about.

I have to run to the store to pick up some more clay and more tools because two of them broke last night.

IC

Yes doc, I am planning on moldin.

What I actually am planning all together,(I havnt let anyone be aware of this yet, but might as well let it out sometime.)

Is to first sculpt ironmans helmet. Then make the mold. After the mold I will begin to make some casts, probly around 2 casts to begin. From there I am going to do even more work on the helmet if I am not satisfied with the end result.

After that I am planning on removing the faceplate, then cleaning the main helmet part and faceplate up. Maybe take the chin piece off too.

Make some molds of the two of these (or three) and cast a couple.

Then make the parts that I have already designed to make the faceplate move up and down....

But it wont move up and down like everyone elses that you see so far. I have designed for a couple motors and it to do it on its own. And be remote control, so there will not have to be any mess with wires coming out of the helmet.

Im not gonna reveal my blueprints that I have made yet, that will be later in this thread, when I am preparing for that part of this long and tedious process.

I am also going to try and keep this thread as updated as possible.

The second set of pics, are basically a new helmet. The first one was too small, so covered it in more clay then began yet again, yesterday. So all the progress you see is in less than one days work.

IC

I thought this would be a good Idea. How about after making the mold, and come out with the helmet, cut out the front part (The Mask part) and hollow it. Afterwards, reconnect it to the other part of the Helmet with hinges on the top. Afterwards, put in the visor and paint. The Final Product will have the mask on the Front be able to Flip up just like in the movie. All other details is to make sure the hinges are on the top of the helmet and are Painted. Just make sure that there are no screws, or they'll probably go into your head :lol:. So use Super Glue.

Good idea fenix.

The idea I have goin in my head and on paper as of this minute is an actual set up so that the face plate will go out a bit and then slide back on top of the helmet like in the movie. then make the chin piece angle down like the movie also.

IC

Looks like you're off to an excellent start! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you with your plans. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Here's another one. Set up a circuit with Blue LEDS under the eyelids on the inside. In the circuit, connect a switch button to put on the side inside of the helmet. When not using the helmet, you can turn on the LEDS to make the helmets eyes glow up. Only warning is to not use this when wearing it, It could probably cause eye damage. Not sure if it will work, but you never know.

Good idea Fenix. To not cause eye damage I would make a blinder basically to just cover the back of the light...

that way it can be done and worn at the same time without eye damage.

Have completed one ear and part of the cheek today. I am going to try and post some progress pics tomorrow...
IC

Ironclover said:
Good idea Fenix. To not cause eye damage I would make a blinder basically to just cover the back of the light...

that way it can be done and worn at the same time without eye damage.
Hmmm.... I didn't think of that. Good Idea! If you're using a clear visor, you could probably put a small bit of mirror glass on the sides of the Blinders that are facing the LEDS, causing the Light to show more in the eye holes, but it is possible that it might Reflect in the visor towards the eyes, so test it out like this. Make 4 Blinders, 2 without the glass and 2 with the glass, and put the 2 sets that have mirror glass in behind the LEDS in the helmet. Turn on the LEDS and look in the helmet from the bottom. If the eyelids are reflecting the light to the back of the helmet, don't use the glass blinders. Another thing is when painting the helmet, if you want it, use Metallic Car Paint on it, then cover it in clear finishing or fiberglass finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back