Marine Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfc S Myers

I am Private First Class S. Myers; designated marksman of Fireteam Alpha from Echo Squad.

To skip out on the role-play, names' Simon Myers from Louisiana, US. My 'squad' is looking for information on armor and weaponry making. We've got through the Halo 3 game, books, and all types of resources searching for refrences and I myself even drew out layouts for Marine helmets and Armor.

Here's our problem(s).

We were wondering what would be the best material for an armor that wasn't extremely costy. Our original idea was to take bicycle helmets and saw off the bottom half, and saw down the face plate and paint over it for the halo 3 marine helmet look. Being as the H3 helmets don't have flashlights like the H2, it was a bit of a relief on our part.

However, we were thinking of using clay and sculpting the exact proportions rather than adding on to a pre-exsisting helmet, then running it through a kilm to harden it. In other words...Wear pots on our heads.

Our second problem was weaponry, as we were thinking of using actual weapons by taking out the firing pins and adding around it like the helmets. That proved to be a bad idea as the realism would..Probably be illegal. So the question being, should we even bring weapons at all?

Know this topic starter is kind of lengthy even though I'm new to the forums, but we're pretty die hard on this and want it to look as real as possible along with the added sensation of not burning our wallets....

For information:

Staff Sergeant J. Miller, Squad Leader, M7/Caseless SMG (will be wearing a cap so that's covered entirely)
Corporal A. Leslie, Fireteam Bravo Leader, M90A CAWS (Shotgun)
Private First Class B. Murray, Rifleman, MA5C Assault Rifle
Private First Class S. Myers, Marksman, BR55HB SR Battle Rifle
And one other unconfirmed unit who will be using a M41 SSR MAV/AW Rocket Launcher.

If any of you have information on armor prop making that isn't entirely expensive, but looks realistic (like clay or jury rigged products).
Please reply to this topic or send an e-mail to me via: camuellebrun@aol.com

Thanks for any information!

(Please note that none of us are a part of the 405th regiment, so please don't get any confusion x.x; )

Airsoft is excellent for weapons because you can easily build around it or remove some parts, while also being able to fire (6mm plastic bbs of course).
The guns also retain most features like trigger pull, removable magazines, and bolt operation.
Also, for the BR-55 I recommend building around a FAMAS French assault rifle replica.

Wow dude! Excellent repping of Airsoft.

I'd try cardboard-that's what I'm doing for my Marine!

Dmitri Molotov said:
Airsoft is excellent for weapons because you can easily build around it or remove some parts, while also being able to fire (6mm plastic bbs of course).
The guns also retain most features like trigger pull, removable magazines, and bolt operation.
Also, for the BR-55 I recommend building around a FAMAS French assault rifle replica.

Excellent, this is why I joined the forums xP

Thanks mate, didn't think of Airsoft. Maybe an M16 replica for the battle rifle as well??

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, for those interested in my part of the squads story:

So far we're still researching and adding options so bare with us. Note that the story is subject to change, as the actual story and game can collide xD

206th Marine Regiment
57th Infantry Battalion
'C' Company
3rd Platoon
4th, "Echo" Squad
Fireteam Alpha

C//: Bio, 206-57-C-3P-4E-FA2, Pfc S. Myers

Well, it pretty much started with the Battle of Crows Nest. Marine forces were spread thin throughout the entire complex, and not many of us knew our way around it so it was difficult to get to our designated areas with intent to fight. Everyone was divided into Fireteams. Ironically, it was most of my squads first fight entirely..

Murray, Hernan, and myself were stationed with Staff Sergeant Miller. The rest of the squad was under command of Corporal Leslie. We were all stationed in the Barracks regardless. The fight went on, and we had gotten word that Spartan-117 had joined the fight. It was the most inspirational thing to hit my mind since..Well...Yeah. I remember taking out a few of the Brutes, but they all wore power armor which practically rendered my BR55HB Battle Rifle useless. I was the DMR, the Marksman, of the squad. Rifle wasn't meant for the new armor systems of those brutes. No pun intended.

Wasn't long before we were taken hostage, and one by one other marines were being interrogated. Torn apart by the Brutes like ragdolls, and thrown to the side when they couldn't or refused to answer the Brute's questions. Didn't help that there was a Chieftan in the matter, along with the huge mess of them.

It still baffels me to this day why they didn't just kill us when the Chief came into the matter, he single-handedly took out all the brutes up to the point we took action. Surprisingly we had absolutely no casualties after that, even with the Chieftan bearing one of those stationary Plasma turrents they put on the Troop Transports. Later on we took the elevator up, fought another battle with Brutes and Drones and took the first Pelican out. Heh...To think that was our first fight..

(Again this is subject to change, we're still debating on which path(s) offer most likely survivability but also the most combat experience hahaha. Not the most original idea but, whatever eh?)

The m16 doesn't have the bullpup configuration, the trigger is too far back.
Also, i think the roleplaying thing is kind of cool.
Maybe the 13th Californian (my squad) could help you out in your next engagement.

Dmitri Molotov said:
The m16 doesn't have the bullpup configuration, the trigger is too far back.
Also, i think the roleplaying thing is kind of cool.
Maybe the 13th Californian (my squad) could help you out in your next engagement.

-Chuckles- Sure, I'll talk to the guys (and maybe the girl if she's still up for the idea) if they'd like to. We're working our story for possibly: Battle of Crow's Nest, Battle of Tsavo Highway, Battle of Voi, and even the Battle of Installation 00.

will right now im making the H3 marine helmets if you want more info PM me on them
helmetglasses.jpg

lid.jpg

lid2.jpg

lid3.jpg

lid4.jpg

also making the armor too....just got the chin straps in today but i dont have a pic of them yet

-Coughs to death- Wow, that actually looks exactly like the sketches I made which came directly from in-game (Yeah, I went as far as sitting infront of a TV with pencil and paper..sue me..)

That's a VERY nice helmet, what'd you make it out of?

hey i did that too..................that one is one of my resin castings i can make fiberglass ones also

link4044 said:
hey i did that too..................that one is one of my resin castings i can make fiberglass ones also

Ehh, sorry to say man but I dunno what Resin casting is, and Fiberglass..I know sparsely..

I know about Silicone, paper mache, cardboard, and plastic as those seem to be the most commonly used -chuckles-

well resin is plastic once it harden and fiberglass is what they use on boats and small planes

link4044 said:
well resin is plastic once it harden and fiberglass is what they use on boats and small planes

Lol, yeah, I'm willing to bet that falls under the category of burning the wallet xD

Oh man, now I feel bad about my crappy cardboard helmet.:(
Maybe the personality I'm going to put into it will make up for the lack of quality.

Pfc-S.Myers said:
Lol, yeah, I'm willing to bet that falls under the category of burning the wallet xD

well it depends on what you want...i cant type the price on the forums but im PM i can.....Dmitri MolotOv dont feel bad about cardboard its what you put into counts

Dmitri Molotov said:
Oh man, now I feel bad about my crappy cardboard helmet.:(
Maybe the personality I'm going to put into it will make up for the lack of quality.

Well, do what I plan on doing lol, probably just going to take some clay and cut it down to size after scaling it on a stryfoam head or something from a hobby shop.

finally! another member from louisiana!

im from new orleans, how about you? ive already made a full mjolnir suit, but i have no plans to make marine armor simply because im currently sitting on about 6 other costume projects.

link's marine helmet is cool, as is eternal's cardboard based helmet that has been fiberglassed and Bondo'd up with body filler. both are impressive.

Lol, Lake Charles man.

Yeah, I'm worried that the clay will be a bit of hell since I plan on putting padding in. Probably going to ditch that idea entirely.

I had a random idea of making one out of hollow paper mache, and filling in with a concrete mixture to add in realistic weight and hardness, but have a smooth texture with some decent paint.

Hard to tell, but I don't have the money for making a silicone mold with a plastic helmet (this, based on the ODST reference directly from 405th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back