Mark V (B) Helmet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

kahnah

Hello 405th
I am here to share with you my Halo Reach Mark V (B) helmet build.
I'm sorry to inform that i lost the SD card that was holding a few of the pictures from the start of the build. So I will show you the product of the Pep stage and then pick up a little less then half way through the build.

Here we go!
DSC_0061.jpg

Here is the leap in progress

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

This next batch is where I built up sharp angles on the Dome of the helmet and started to really work the details up top. I also began to take some time to work ans sharpen up the ear/ cheek area of the helmet.
IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

After coming this far with the build i found this.

ih_spartanhelmet01e.jpg

This is the concept image of the Mk V (B). I truly love the way the rear or the helmet looks compared to the in game version, so this is exactly where i want my build to go. and with that said i now have to go back and rework some of the details on the dome of the helmet.

Thank you for Viewing

It's coming along great, you've kept most of the detail from the pep which is pretty awesome. Are you still going with the UA attachment?

WOW Gorgeous work on that helmet. It looks like we're working on the same pep set, I love how yours is coming along.

Any tips on making those detail lines as clean as you did them? I flipped through your old stuff and saw you said you use an engraving bit on the dremel.

It's coming along great, you've kept most of the detail from the pep which is pretty awesome. Are you still going with the UA attachment?

yes i am, I left the Hull out of the pictures because in the hardening process it warped so slightly and i feel that i would rather redo and get it right. The detail was a tricky thing to keep. the original unfold by Satchmo had a few problem areas that had to be tweaked. i apologize for not being able to share those photos with you all.

WOW Gorgeous work on that helmet. It looks like we're working on the same pep set, I love how yours is coming along.

Any tips on making those detail lines as clean as you did them? I flipped through your old stuff and saw you said you use an engraving bit on the dremel.

the lines that you are looking at are cut with an exacto knife. Those cuts are meant as a guild for my dremel. But i would highly disagree with an engraving bit. I tried to use the engraving bit but i quickly found out it was hard to control the dremel. As for the poor Pilot helmet (which met its end in a horrible chew toy accident) i used the dremel cutting wheel, which was far easier to handle. but i have been giving it some thought and i found this
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Attachments/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=335-01
i think this might help make engraving those lines an easy task.

Helmet is looking great.

Thorn thank you
I found great joy in watching and learning from your build, i hope i can return the favor.

Ohhh, I was going off this post you wrote earlier:

i did infact find out what bit to use turns out there is a engraving set from dremel.
Stranger2u i did use a cutting disk at first but i almost ended up chopping through the helmet, wouldnt recommend this method, but it is a learning process and i do appreciate the help.

I'm closing in on cutting time with my mkvb and it's by far my least favorite part of a build.

Ohhh, I was going off this post you wrote earlier:
I'm closing in on cutting time with my mkvb and it's by far my least favorite part of a build.

Ah yes i had started off with the cutting disk changed to engraver and went back to the cutting disk. As i have been thinking of how to go about cutting in those lines, i think i have found a solution. And here it is.

IMG_0130.jpg

what it is, is a guider for the dremel tool to use with an engraving bit. I'm going to give this a shot sometime next week and ill share the progress sometime next weekend.

Now all i was able to put together this weekend was a little work on the ear region of the helmet.
IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

And thats it for now. Be sure to check back in next week for more updates.

Double Post!
Anyways i have been looking trough tons and tons of references. I know i said i would be sticking to the concept picture but i lied. Well not completely. I have had some ideas of what i want the helmet to look like and what i want to keep from the concept. So what i believe will happen is i will have a mash up between the concept, the in game model, and the Legacy Effects helmet.

Here is what im looking at

Untitled.png

circled in red are the areas i plan to keep I think that holding on to the rear of the concept will give my helmet something different from what i assume is the normal looking Mk V (B) helmet. Other areas are just details i feel will make the helmet look better.

Here is a stunning work of accomplishment

Untitled2.png

Again, what i circled are areas i want on my build. The area i want to talk about is what is circled at the top of the helmet. It is hard to see but if you look closely you can see that there is a angle at the dome of the helmet. Although it would be easier to keep the rounded dome i have already made, i think that it would take away the detail at the top, and just look plain boring. Apart from that the rest is just the detail will be cut out with a dremel.

Thank you all for the complements and words of encouragement, they truly do feed the fire of this build.

this is looking really good so far, and i like how you are following the concept art of the helmet, i am doing the same currently for the grenadier helm because i like how much better it looks. keep up the good work

Yes, I think that detail will take you're helmet to a whole new level. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

this is looking really good so far, and i like how you are following the concept art of the helmet, i am doing the same currently for the grenadier helm because i like how much better it looks. keep up the good work

The concepts are seriously sweet looking drawings. Good luck on your build and keep us updated.

Yes, I think that detail will take you're helmet to a whole new level. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

A whole new level it has reached.

Here is this weeks progress
IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

^Here i have traced in the details that are going to be cut into the helmet
This picture is pretty much all the tools im going to use for the job. Notice that there are a set of round wooden sticks, these are going to make up the round looking things at the lower front of the helmet. The knife set is for various details i will be cutting by hand (no dremel). Below is a little work i started but will have to finish next weekend.
IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

^ here i have cut half of the details into the side of the helmet as well as put in those round details at the front of the helm.

As for next week i am planning on making the visor indention as well as finishing or being close to finishing carving up those details.

Thank you for viewing!

Looks sweet, I think the new detail lines you marked will be awesome to this build.:D

Thank you Thorn

Update time!
Ill just start with the pictures and explain as we go.

IMG_0172.jpg

so i decided that the cheek area wasn't sharp enough so I went ahead and added some bondo to get more of an angled look. Here you can see there is a big square missing that's because i built up this area in three stages marked up below.
IMG_0173-1.jpg

And here is the same picture without the markup so you can see the detail.
IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

I started to create the details on the top of the helmet with a dremel and things got ugly real fast. so i smoothed everything out and started over this time i used a file set that i picked up at harbor freight (below).

IMG_0184.jpg

Also included in this picture is a stencil i made so build up a vent detail on the sides of the helmet

step one
IMG_0185.jpg

step two
IMG_0188.jpg

and repeat

After all the detail work i have been putting in and had to get away from sanding and bondo for a while. So to change up the build i went back to pep out the HUL.
IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

And here it is in the Noble 6 set up
IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

That's it for now, more progress next week!

I never liked that random lone vertical line on the cheeks, but you did a great job of making it look clean. (the line between 3 and 1)

It's coming along awesome-ly!

I never liked that random lone vertical line on the cheeks, but you did a great job of making it look clean. (the line between 3 and 1)

It's coming along awesome-ly!

I disagree the line i don't like is the horizontal line between 2 and 3. That's just my opinion.
by the way your build is coming along great as well.

Who's pep file is that? And where did u find that picture of the legacy fx helmets?

Here is the thread i found the helmet in i think it was on the 3rd or 4th page http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...s!-pic-heavy?highlight=halo+reach+game+models
as for the image of legacy's helmet i just google searched legacy reach helmet.

The cheek does look a lot better, it also accents the vent better I think. Looking forward to your next update!

Thank you, thank you. And here is the next update for you.

I took the time this week to work on the front end of the helmet.
It took some time to plan and more time to get it right. I used foam weather striping to build up the details. Here are the results
IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

I also hardened the HUL. Sadly after i poured the rondo in i realized that i had not built the Pep correctly.
IMG_0199.jpg

the circled area looks flat when there should be about a 45 degree angle. As you all can tell the side on the right has that angle and is just about perfect. So im planning on keeping this piece but cutting and reshaping the warped area.

Im confident in doing this as i have had to do this to the back end of the helmet.
IMG_0175.jpg

here is where it stands now

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

Still a lot more work to go

That's all for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back