Mark VI gen2 Master Chief / First serious build! (greyboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruben161

Hello there! Although I already started this project a few weeks ago, I decided to post It as soon as I thought about doing It! This is my first attempt building a Halo armor and I have to say that It´s really intimidating when you try It for the first time. I wanted to do It out of greyboard because It´s cheap and an enviromentally friendly material (despite the fact that I will reinforce It with fiberglass resin hehe). I´m using MikyVengeance paper files for the entire armor.
IMG-20200317-WA0011 (1).jpg
IMG-20200317-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20200317-WA0014.jpg

The helmet you´re seeing in the image was a result of a boring evening from last year haha. I´m planning to build another one out of greyboard.
Pd: I glued and cut everything with hot glue and cutter. Sorry for my English, I´m from The Canaries...

Last edited:
Somethings that I forgot to say in the former post: My goal budget would be around 60-70 euros (76 dollars) and so far I have spent around 8-10 bucks (so far so good). The undersuit will be made out of upholsterer foam (process will be described later on) and this whole suit has to be finished before november 2020! The greyboard was bought on a local arts supplier, It´s really easy to find. The information given by Paigan Boi is pretty accurate. This material is a little bit tricky to work with. It´s something between foam and paper builds. Files need to be a little bit modified to optimize It´s propperties. My choice is 0,75-1mm thickness.

Last edited:
Here I am again!. I have just finished the left thigh tonight. It took about 3 hours to cut all pieces and 7-8 hours to build It, It was quite tough. As long as I have to stay at home because of the coronavirus crisis, I have plenty of time to work on the suit!
To make the bending of the "cardboard" easier and to make the corners really crisp, I cut a V groove at the back. This greyboard that I´m using right now has a glossy-plastic finish on the back, It doesn´t affect on It´s performance.
IMG_20200319_105751.jpg
IMG_20200319_105820.jpg
IMG_20200319_131129.jpg
IMG_20200319_131215.jpg

And here is the completed thigh:
IMG-20200319-WA0040.jpg
IMG-20200319-WA0041.jpg
IMG-20200319-WA0039.jpg

Tomorrow I will be making the bottom half of my mannequin and testing how It looks overall...

The manequin does look pretty skinny, but the armor may be a tad bit too big. HOWEVER, I always think the halo 4/5 armors look better when people build their chest/torso armor slightly bigger. Covers more of the body and makes look slightly more tanky. Everything else looks good, but it is up to you to determine the size of the thigh. If it is too big when you are wearing it it may be hard and awkward to walk

I understand...The problem with my body It´s that I´m over 6´0´´ tall so It´s a little bit tricky to scale the armor properly. I thought about just remaking It and scale It down a little bit, too much of work but It could be worth the effort. I want to make It as game-accurate as I can so that may be the way to go. Thanks for your response!, helped me a lot to decide how to manage the issue.

I understand...The problem with my body It´s that I´m over 6´0´´ tall so It´s a little bit tricky to scale the armor properly. I thought about just remaking It and scale It down a little bit, too much of work but It could be worth the effort. I want to make It as game-accurate as I can so that may be the way to go. Thanks for your response!, helped me a lot to decide how to manage the issue.

This armor is also my first suit the I’ve completed, so far you’re doing a great job. I’m around the same height as you and I’ve messed around with the proportions as well. What I did I actually scaled the armor to my height but I kept the proportions exactly the same as master chief’s in game. In other words I just shrank chief down to my height. The armor fits pretty well and looks good, it’s quite bulky but it didn’t seem to bother my movement that much. I suggest just pad the leg armors that so it pushes itself outwards from your legs that so they don’t rub on each other, but not too much where the stick out awkwardly, and also trim the rim of the thigh armor which makes it unnecessarily thick. So one thing to keep in mind with proportions, chief’s 4/5 armor is big it’s just that there’s a really big guy inside. Hope this helps.

P.S. I’d like to see you wear the thigh and chest armor or be next to it. Otherwise it does look a bit big, especially the thigh.

This armor is also my first suit the I’ve completed, so far you’re doing a great job. I’m around the same height as you and I’ve messed around with the proportions as well. What I did I actually scaled the armor to my height but I kept the proportions exactly the same as master chief’s in game. In other words I just shrank chief down to my height. The armor fits pretty well and looks good, it’s quite bulky but it didn’t seem to bother my movement that much. I suggest just pad the leg armors that so it pushes itself outwards from your legs that so they don’t rub on each other, but not too much where the stick out awkwardly, and also trim the rim of the thigh armor which makes it unnecessarily thick. So one thing to keep in mind with proportions, chief’s 4/5 armor is big it’s just that there’s a really big guy inside. Hope this helps.

P.S. I’d like to see you wear the thigh and chest armor or be next to it. Otherwise it does look a bit big, especially the thigh.
Wow, I took a look to your armor and It is astonishing!! Thanks for the tips for fitting the thigh armor, I may give them a go. Anyway I think that It has a decent looking overall when I´m wearing It. Scaling It down a bit and remaking It´s still an option, despite the work that idea involves. Thanks for the positive comments and likes, they really help me keep me going!
And here is me wearing the armor. Bicep and forearm armor fits pretty good, chest piece doesn´t look that bad at all (I will be wearing a 1/2" undersuit so It may help me look bulkier) however, what I really like about master chief chest armor It´s how It has a really snug fit so, although I like the look of this one I may do It again . The most awkward looking piece is the thigh. That´s my unexperienced opinion so, I´m looking forward to reading from your view!! (Please, dont be gentle with your opinion, I know that perfection doesn´t exist but I want to get as close as I can to It!!)
IMG_20200322_095735.jpg
IMG_20200322_095838.jpg

Every time I look at this I say to my self "oh, dang! That's looking awesome!" Way good job, man. Dang good.
Pure motivation bud!! Really appreciate It!!
Pd: As a good 117 clon, I won´t identify myself just yet ;)

Last edited:
Wow, I took a look to your armor and It is astonishing!! Thanks for the tips for fitting the thigh armor, I may give them a go. Anyway I think that It has a decent looking overall when I´m wearing It. Scaling It down a bit and remaking It´s still an option, despite the work that idea involves. Thanks for the positive comments and likes, they really help me keep me going!
And here is me wearing the armor. Bicep and forearm armor fits pretty good, chest piece doesn´t look that bad at all (I will be wearing a 1/2" undersuit so It may help me look bulkier) however, what I really like about master chief chest armor It´s how It has a really snug fit so, although I like the look of this one I may do It again . The most awkward looking piece is the thigh. That´s my unexperienced opinion so, I´m looking forward to reading from your view!! (Please, dont be gentle with your opinion, I know that perfection doesn´t exist but I want to get as close as I can to It!!)
View attachment 287103View attachment 287104

Pure motivation bud!! Really appreciate It!!
Pd: As a good 117 clon, I won´t identify myself just yet ;)

This is amazing! Personally I think scale is good. When I was creating my suit I did probably something stupid - I just scaled it to 90% of Master Chief size. Then I made muscle suit and it's not bad afterall.

This is amazing! Personally I think scale is good. When I was creating my suit I did probably something stupid - I just scaled it to 90% of Master Chief size. Then I made muscle suit and it's not bad afterall.
Your armor looks amazing!. I will take you advise. I thought about making a muscle suit. I managed to imitate the texture from the halo 4 undersuit with a soldering iron, a modified bit and ulphosterer foam. After texturing the foam I will apply some coats of pva glue and paint It with a blackish colour. I have made a few tests and It´s flexible and as long as I´m going to use plenty of fans and cooling systems, heat won´t be an issue I recon.
As long as I´m a calisthenics "athlete" I will be gaining a decent amount of muscle, slowly but steady.
Here is the texture I have just managed to get (when the confinement ends I will be buying pva glue and paint so It will be more visible to you):
IMG_20200322_110757.jpg

IMG_20200322_110759.jpg

IMG_20200322_110844.jpg

Your armor looks amazing!. I will take you advise. I thought about making a muscle suit. I managed to imitate the texture from the halo 4 undersuit with a soldering iron, a modified bit and ulphosterer foam. After texturing the foam I will apply some coats of pva glue and paint It with a blackish colour. I have made a few tests and It´s flexible and as long as I´m going to use plenty of fans and cooling systems, heat won´t be an issue I recon.
As long as I´m a calisthenics "athlete" I will be gaining a decent amount of muscle, slowly but steady.
Here is the texture I have just managed to get (when the confinement ends I will be buying pva glue and paint so It will be more visible to you):
View attachment 287107
View attachment 287106
View attachment 287105

Wow... For months I was trying to figure out how to create hex pattern and now I see such a brilliant thing, where have you been this entire time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back