Mark Vi Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, After a few months working on my Tarkov piece, i decided I wanted to do something else for a little while, just for a break. Ive always wanted to do a helmet but have been put off by some of the imense detail that are in some.

After watching some of the video's Ben has put up, especially about Rondo and having a HD mark vi that i pepped a while ago (albeit not very well) Ive decide to do a quick wip on just making a helmet.

So the helmet I had pepped was one from flyingsquirrel and had already been resined the day I finished it.

SDC10652.jpg

Inspired by ben's video, I got to work mixing the bondo and resin, then poured it inside and spread it around using a brush. After 2-3 cups of rondo it was fully covered and has hardned very well. I Found this much more easy that fiberglass and i will most likley be using this method on my Tarkov.

SNC00133.jpg

After it was all nice and hard, I went about masking certain areas up ready for the bondo stage with painters tape. This was then followed with a generous spread of bondo over the areas I wanted smooth. I waited till the bondo was tacky to the touch then slowely removed the tape to reveal clean sharp lines and clean areas. After an initial sand and a thin second coat, the area was smooth and its now ready for a wet sand and spot putty, which will be done once the entire helmet is bondo'd.

SNC00134.jpg

SNC00138.jpg

SNC00139.jpg

SNC00142.jpg

SNC00148.jpg

I want to try and get this finished pretty quick but without rushing as I still have my Tarkov armour to finish so expect regular updates with this helmet. Cheers for looking guys and I should hopefully have a bit more done tomorrow.

Welsh

Not bad. Nice bondo work! Wait, rondo hardens? I though that was just thinned bondo... cause if it does sub for fiberglass...

yeh rondo hardens, Its very much like plastic and is very light but seems quite strong. Just remember to put in hardner for the bondo.

Welsh

I will have to try this... Eliminates the itchy, not to mention dangerous fiberglass cloth. Off to Walmart...

Take a look in the armour related vidoes section and have a look at ben streepers vids, thats what got me into rondo and helps alot aswell.

Welsh

Boba Fett said:
I will have to try this... Eliminates the itchy, not to mention dangerous fiberglass cloth. Off to Walmart...
hemm maby i got to try it (dangerous?) itchy i can understand

Last edited by a moderator:
nice pep work and I like the clean bondo work! keep it up. I like the rondo inside, i used to do fiberglass but its a ichy mess, rondo is the way to go!

Well, Using the stuff in a helmet... If you inhale the stuff... Especially if you sand it. I don't have a workshop, just my parents basement and outside when it's not snowing out... the limits of being 16...

Hey, got some more basic bondo work done today. Want to finish the back section and work my way around to the front, this has just had a rough sand and shape and still needs a little more work.

SNC00153.jpg

SNC00151.jpg

SNC00149.jpg

SNC00157.jpg

SNC00158.jpg

SNC00159.jpg

SNC00155.jpg

Im running low on bondo so i'll have to pick some more up tomorrow but i should hopefully have this back section finished pretty soon. Cheers for looking and should have another update tomorrow.

Welsh

yeh the helmet is slightly leaning, the helmet was done quite a while ago when I was only starting to do pep. The fact that im fixing it in the bondo stage is meaning that areas that are fixed are highlighting the warped areas, its not to bad in real life. Cheers for the crit tho it does help.

Does any one have any tips for getting into the small areas to sand like the one below, i want to get a nice clean corner.

SNC00157.jpg

Cheers for looking guys.

Welsh

I haven't gotten to this stage yet, but I have a dremel set and I think it would work perfect for sanding in small spots.

looking great so far man. bout all i can recommend is wet sanding it to give it a really smooth finish when you get to that stage. rondo is great aint it :rolleyes

hey guys, got some more bondo work done today. Really happy with it as the helmet is starting to take shape. Most of my time was taken up correcting the warped areas which are alot better. The back of the helmet is almost done with the bondo and im now starting to work around, although Ive still got to smooth out the areas in the vents on the side .Im starting to use the foamie method so im doing all the lower sections of the helmet first. Anyways heres the pics and hopefully I will have the other side complete tomorrow. Bare in mind the piece is covered in dust which is collecting in all the grooves that im cutting, they really do look alot smoother in real life :p.

Cheers for looking

Welsh

SNC00170.jpg

SNC00169.jpg

SNC00173.jpg

SNC00175.jpg

After your previous armor is complete do you plan to come back to this suit? It's looking great, keep the updates coming.

Cheers for the compliments guys :D

jason02- nah im just doin the helmet, a full spartan is alot of work. I just wanted something to do instead of my odst for a bit, also I want to start molding soon and need practice so this helmet is first in line.

Got a small update for some small detail work, I started to use the foamie method now to get some of the raised detail which have came out alright, the areas have only had a quick sand and need touch ups but im pretty happy with the way they came out. If ive got time later I may start the other side.

Cheers for lookng

welsh

SNC00181.jpg

SNC00183.jpg

SNC00184.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back