***MICROSOFT RELEASES NEW GAME CONTENT USAGE RULES***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm, Is this still up to date? Even so, I plan on finishing my armor.... What we must have 400,000 members here (I dont know just guessing) and we would all be happy to get up and go start a strike. Whether we live in Netherlands or Canada or even Hawaii.

Good stuff here - can't believe I'm just now reading it.

I think the biggest problem involved in all this is that corporations can afford to spend big bucks on a legal team, and that scares the crap out of all the 'little people.' This is corporate bullying. This isn't how things are supposed to work. Unfortunately, very few of us have the resources to come up with a star legal team to defend ourselves from this, so when the big companies say STOP OR WE'LL SUE, we usually stop. That's why we need advocacy groups to stand in for the little guys. As long as no one here opens up a factory to start cranking out armor, and as long as no one starts using their armor to make money for themselves or otherwise, then everything will be fine, in my opinion.

Besides, if MS wanted to shut us down, they would have done so a long time ago.

I see these rules as being similar to the illegal immigrant laws. You can say they're illegal, but if you actually decided to take action against the offenders you would be arresting/suing thousands and possibly millions of people. That is simply not feasible.

didnt bill gates say that if you change 1 pixel it is considered different.

so if something is slightly different or 15% different i think i remember someone saing. then they cant get you for anything.

I think that this doesn't include selling commisioned items. IE, me buying a grenade from DMASTER. Im pretty sure that slipped through the cracks.

"That means you can’t sell it, post it on a site that requires subscription or other fees, solicit donations of any kind (even by PayPal), use it to enter a contest or sweepstakes, or post it on a page you use to sell other items (even if those other items have nothing to do with Game Content or Microsoft)."

By the sound of that there saying you cant enter cos-play contests. Not likes its going to stop me, and M$ in Australia wouldnt give a crap anyway.
WHY OH WHY couldnt M$ have given bungie the rights to everything!!

"This doesn’t restrict you from using your Item for film festivals – that’s not our intention, even if you get a prize for winning. But where someone is trying... bla bla bla...."

We can still go for game cons, anime cons or so on.

I just realized, all those who want armor like MC and call themselves Master Chief, they can. Why? Master Chief Petty Officer is a real military rank (Naval rank), so if we happen to make armor that looks like Master Chief's from Halo and say our rank is Master Chief, then it is alright :D

Oh please like they don't have enough money already give us a break! Do they honestly think they might lose something?

Sometimes its good for promotional reasons to allow fans to do the things we do- M$ should get off its' high horse.

or anything like that.

Are they serious? That does not sound like official rules. It sounds more like girly-girl talk. (no offense to girls, just girly ones :))

@RandomMarine: I totally agree, people seeing Halo armor would go 'cool, I want that!' Not, "Oh my god I hate Microsoft because they have cool armor in there games!"
@Seno: And if the military had that rule MC wouldn't be MC no more. Silly MS.
Dootuz: Yeah, big ninjas on fire to your house to kill you. Oh wait, nevermind, it's super nerdy computer lovers who will TYPE YOU TO DEATH!!!
Keegan: *Starts modifying pep rifle into real gun. Finishes. Begins making energy sword...*

Last edited by a moderator:
WookieLord said:
I mean, can anyone tell me, for instance, whether there is regular trans-colony civilian shipping? Indeed, any civilian spaceflight at all? Do marines ever take Elite jaws as trophies? What is the maximum length of time a human can safetly stay in hibernation? What material are the Halos built out of? etc, etc. Although, does the lisence disallow posting non-profit fanfic on hbo.bungie.org?

Yes, Yes, Not usually, The time is indefinite, and It's a forrunner compound still being researched.

I don't know if this has been brought up, but what about Bungie's split from Microsoft? Isn't Halo, Bungie's game or does Microsoft have the rights to it?

You can’t use the soundtracks or audio effects from the original game

wel this is not true. microsoft have stated that you can do whatever with it that you want. the dont care. even for machinima. but using it to sell products is illegal there is a difference

and for the other stuff.
its just that you can do anything except hacking the game.

as long that you dont make money of it its oke if you do your doing it illegal

Boryenko said:
I don't know if this has been brought up, but what about Bungie's split from Microsoft? Isn't Halo, Bungie's game or does Microsoft have the rights to it?

Microsoft has SOME licensing rights to Halo since it is for their system...but they don't actually "own" the Halo name, the franchise, or anything else that goes with it. That's all Bungie's thank GOD xD

If you've ever read the Copyrighted Image Note that some people have to use to post screenshots:

"This screenshot was created under Microsoft’s “Game Content Usage Rules” using assets from Halo 3, © Microsoft Corporation."

I know the statement is longer. But that's about as far as Microsoft's rights go xD

Sean Bradley said:

Nobody should have a business plan based on derivitive content.... apparently.
However it is suggested that you have liscense to create items derived from the game for yourself.... but you shouldn't be making things in mass for profit...
Certainly though this brings up the Pepakura question that I presented a long time ago:
http://mjolnirarmor.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ura+legal#23804
Pepakura is a little more at risk because it's ripped directly from the game...
*** Do you guys seriously think that saying it was a gift and unrelated to a financial transaction would stand up in court? Sure.... lawyers have never heard that before! :mrgreen:
they're birthday gifts and holiday gifts :D

Silverzippo93 said:
Um. I used to be a modder. IM GOIN TO JAIL!!!111!!!
Does Microsoft think anyone cares? We're not going to stop machinima, armor making, or modding. Do they think they can sue us all? This is pathetic. They know damn well they can't do anything about it.

I agree. I dont think that microsoft is going to target home builders they are just using this as a scare tactic for people that have made some good cash off of production models and haven't given microsoft its slice of the pie.
Money grubbing jerks.
Trying to scare us away from something thats making them money.
It really just makes me sick

necro post but
Kiltmanfortytwo said:
so does this mean that we can no longer sell items to each other for profit?
Reading it again, it appears to me that it means profit, so if you simply charge the cost of materials and the time you spent on a said item, you can get through that barrier.
This seems really hard to enforce and I can't see it going well in the community.
Chris
yeah you can still make a profit, noone can prove how much you spent to make it,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back