Militarisms in Halo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Anwalt

Sr Member
Member DIN
S530
Hey, guys, what's up? I've been mostly in the n00b forum, cuz that's where I like to chill, but I think this is a good place to talk about halo stuff and some things I like about it. Halo is something that's inspired me, because of the spartans. they are just awesome. But I think we should get a group together, work out till we pass out, start P90x, get way buff, shave our heads bald, and become as close to real spartans as possible. Anyone else interested?

Being in shape is a big bonus to costuming, especially for military style stuff. But as for being spartans....spartans have the benefit of being roided up. Shoot for being Marines or ODST instead IMO. They're better than spartans anyways. No bias here.

yeah, i personally preferre the odst's over spartans cuz they're real people and you beleive the stuf they do (would you believe one man could do all that stuff john 117 did??) but if i had to go with a type of spartan i'd go with the s-III class - mark v (b) FTW!!!

oh, and trooper0612- i'm diggin that odst build you got there! (not to go to far off topic but it is ODST..)

Hey, guys, what's up? I've been mostly in the n00b forum, cuz that's where I like to chill, but I think this is a good place to talk about halo stuff and some things I like about it. Halo is something that's inspired me, because of the spartans. they are just awesome. But I think we should get a group together, work out till we pass out, start P90x, get way buff, shave our heads bald, and become as close to real spartans as possible. Anyone else interested?
You lost me at bald.

shave our heads bald
You know, I was going to join, but becuase of this, I'll pass :p. My hair is what keeps me brutal and bloodthirsty. If I shave my hair away, I might aswell be canon fodder :(.

Still like the idea though!

-Pony

Being in shape is a bonus to pretty much ANY costuming. Even as just costumed Spartans, you have to carry loads of armor, endure the sweltering heat in your armor, and stand there posing for pictures for hours on end at conventions. :D

And it also helps to be generally Spartan (or ODST, or Marine) shaped. :p I need to work on that part a lot myself.

O common it not so hard to ask that. Head shave, beard shave, boot shinning and clean military looking what can you ask more then that.

After that you can say you are ready for some UNSC training and after that you have the look of a Spartan or you can always do some Old Spice commercial '' Im a man!! ''.

Pat

I mean i can do military cut thats fine but i look, well lets say special, with a shaved head. I was thinking about the fact that special forces guys tend to have beards, but if i wanted to transfer that logic to the halo world I guess that would be more ODST then spartan.

Not everyone needs to be bald to pull off the military look, but you should at least have a conservative haircut. Something like ACDCRocker's rocking hair would not fit in at all (too much pain to keep all that under a helmet). However, not everyone would need to rock a high and tight to pull off the look. The more "high speed" people (and the air force) tend to care less about the grooming standard typically, so something that was the length of say, Buck/Nathan Fillion's hair (aka the 'super low reg') after a long op would not be unheard of (as one guy told me about staying in regs 'My barber understands that the less he cuts the more he gets' ). Ignoring that buck is so very very good looking.

As for beards (specially full beards), I wouldn't expect it in the ODSTs as much just because of the tiny full face helmets they wear (same issue with having long hair) however the marines in Halo seem to have no trouble rocking goatees in certain images. The big bushy SF beards are more to deal with the cultural issues in muslim regions than anything that's a gold standard. Well, that and laziness of having to pack a razor and trying to shave every day when you're busy doing more important stuff.

And thanks for the compliment monk1junk1!

On this topic, people do seem to take more picture of me with my helmet off when I bother to have my hair cut within regs or a bald head. And more than one person has been amused by how I kind of look like Jun under the helmet.

fair enough. I dont have like a santa claus beard but there is some facial hair. I mean my thought is that if you are in combat like in the halo universe that your last concern would be facial hair. I mean of course you wouldnt want something to hinder your veiwing or that would get in the way of your helmets functions, but I do feel you would have some stuble. Again though, that is just me, and long hair is a given, that would just get in the way. That reminds me, I do need a hair cut.

fair enough. I dont have like a santa claus beard but there is some facial hair. I mean my thought is that if you are in combat like in the halo universe that your last concern would be facial hair. I mean of course you wouldnt want something to hinder your veiwing or that would get in the way of your helmets functions, but I do feel you would have some stuble. Again though, that is just me, and long hair is a given, that would just get in the way. That reminds me, I do need a hair cut.

Well, I suggested the shaved head, because it sounded gung ho. HOWEVER, hair does tend to be a liability (most of the time) in combat. Not so much head hair (unless it's long) but facial hair. Especially if you were captured, the enemy could pull out your beard hairs as a method of torture. That, and facial hair prevents a tight seal on gas masks, and so forth. That's why when you see enlisted personnel, (those here on the 405th will agree), they hardly ever have beards or mustaches or anything. I know a man who was formerly involved with a mercinary organization, and he said that that was really the only thing that distinguished the private contractors from the enlisted personnel; his facial hair. That, and they didn't have to obey the Rules of Engagement as strictly.... Anyway, I'm all for starting some kind of slick little group to go around every few months and model armor from the 405th, kinda like a war-bonds drive, but without the war... (!! We should get a ton of peeps to dress up as Covenant, and we'd start a Halo Universe war! GENIOUS!!!) lol.

That, and facial hair prevents a tight seal on gas masks, and so forth.

This is actually a semi-myth. You can get a perfectly good seal on a gas mask with light facial hair. Not like, full on santa claus beard though.

(!! We should get a ton of peeps to dress up as Covenant, and we'd start a Halo Universe war! GENIOUS!!!) lol.[/QUOTE]

This is pure awesome, and I stand behind it.

Something like ACDCRocker's rocking hair would not fit in at all (too much pain to keep all that under a helmet).

I could so fit my mane into one of those ODST helmets! I'll just have a high Ponytail stuff the rest of my mane in between my BDU and my Torso armor.

I also rock a goatee, but I can shrink it down if need be.

-Pony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back