MJOLNIR Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceTray

Jr Member
Mmk. So I've been messing around with idea's for mc's MJOLNIR armor, and what to use to create it. For the most part, I really only have questions regarding the helmet right now.

Last one was made out of cardboard, coated in cellu..something, painted, then coated in a finish. Had fun with it because I got to expirement wiring/wire-storage and LED placement for the lights on the side of the helm. I wasn't satisfied though.

So as far as redoing it goes, I've decided to not start from scratch, and instead build off a helmet.

So I'm wondering if anyone has ever attempted building the helmet based of something like this;
0075555397775_500X500.jpg

And if any problems can be encountered with something like this?
For the most part, something like this does seem to resemble the absolute basic base of mc's helmet, and the rest would be molded onto it. Not sure about the visor.

So, what are the odds this could work, and if anyone has ever tried it before; what type of mold to use?

Whenever you build over a helmet, you run a very high risk that your finished product will be too big proportionally. A moto helmet like that is already pretty big, the when you builg up over it... it gets HUGE.

I stared with a very small formfitting paintball helmet, and altered it to just barely fit on my head. I wouldn't build up over anything larger than that.

jtheadshield2.jpg

Ok, sounds reasonable actually.
You said you started with a formfitting helmet, would you happen to have any pictures of its final result? Just as a reference of what can be done

Ok, I actually have the helmet that you posted as reference, but theres things with it that concern me; such as the basis being that the plastic isnt solid, because it is formfitting. The lens isnt really a problem because its a strap-on.

So.. should I be working with the fact the plastic isnt solid? or should it be made solide before doing anything. How to do that, I dont know.

I just used it as a shell that represented what would fit comfortably over my head, and build over it. The actual paintball mask was removed later... after I had patterned the Mjolnir helmet.

It was just used as a size and shape reference.. it's not still inside my helmet.

Think of it as a shortcut.

Alright, so then I was thinking of a different way.
Anywho, So what I have without buying anything is a basic block of clay, and an unopened package of Celluclay (A type of clay that is to be molded when wet, and solidifies to the point of almost cement)

So I'm currently wondering exactly how to go about doing this? I figured just slapping it on the helmet in sections, and removing them when dry.
Not too sure about that being too wise though?

Sean Bradley said:
Whenever you build over a helmet, you run a very high risk that your finished product will be too big proportionally. A moto helmet like that is already pretty big, the when you builg up over it... it gets HUGE.

I stared with a very small formfitting paintball helmet, and altered it to just barely fit on my head. I wouldn't build up over anything larger than that.

http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSPr...headshield2.jpg

I have that helmet lol. I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
IceTray said:
Alright, so then I was thinking of a different way.
Anywho, So what I have without buying anything is a basic block of clay, and an unopened package of Celluclay (A type of clay that is to be molded when wet, and solidifies to the point of almost cement)

So I'm currently wondering exactly how to go about doing this? I figured just slapping it on the helmet in sections, and removing them when dry.
Not too sure about that being too wise though?
How fast does it dry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Celluclay does shrink as it dries though... not sure what that'll do to your patterns...

Interesting idea though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back