MLC Torso in Action/SuperFrankensuit Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skullcandy Girl said:
That looks pretty flipping AWESOME! Great work!! Cut lab too :D

Thanks, that's the first "flipping" anything I've gotten :) As much as I would like to pick her up and try a "Pew, Pew, Pew" parody, she trips the scale at over 80 pounds so no go...

OK - from several comments it sounds like the paint job isn't working for everybody so what's up? Where can I improve? Inquiring minds need to know... I was actually pretty happy with it and lord knows it took long enough to get the look I thought I was looking for...

Last edited by a moderator:
DogWizard said:
OK - from several comments it sounds like the paint job isn't working for everybody so what's up? Where can I improve? Inquiring minds need to know... I was actually pretty happy with it and lord knows it took long enough to get the look I thought I was looking for...

The paint joob is good, but not excellent.
As for me, the paintjob just doesnt click, the color scale just seem a little off.
You need to look at reference pictures, some areas (that you painted green) are actually black. (like the top part of the torso).

I think you should follow up on Adams tutorials for the paintjob.

-Fin(n)ish

I'll have to concur with Finnish. The suit looks great, but the black wear (best known as "Adam's method") needs to be in more of the crevasses and nooks.

Other than that, congrats on a fine lookin finished suit!

Thanks for the advice - what is really interesting is that I must have watched Adam's video a dozen times and it was my inspiration but not the rule. Adam's paintjobs are spectacular but I didn't want just another "Adam copycat" paintjob and was intentionally trying to avoid as much "wear and tear" blackwash as Adam uses. I actually spent more time watching the video than I did looking at actual reference pics so that may why I missed some of the more obvious details...

Oregano paint - check!
Flat Black paint - check!
Automotive primer - check!
Aluminum metallic paint - check!
Old sock - check!
Paintbrush for scuffing - check!

Amazing how two people using the same materials can end up with such completely different results - I guess that's why it will always be a work in progress :)

I can definately see some areas for improvement so I think I will continue posting WIP pics and hopefully you fine folks can continue to critique my efforts (in the most positive way of course)...

Thanks Again!

DogWizard said:
Thanks for the advice - what is really interesting is that I must have watched Adam's video a dozen times and it was my inspiration but not the rule. Adam's paintjobs are spectacular but I didn't want just another "Adam copycat" paintjob and was intentionally trying to avoid as much "wear and tear" blackwash as Adam uses. I actually spent more time watching the video than I did looking at actual reference pics so that may why I missed some of the more obvious details...

I can definately see some areas for improvement so I think I will continue posting WIP pics and hopefully you fine folks can continue to critique my efforts (in the most positive way of course)...

Thanks Again!

I'm ready to critique
j/k

it's already amazing and has no where to go but up!

NICE! I love it! If I ever make a spartan it might just be a fraken suit...

That suit is awesome!

Oh man Dogwizard, looking good my friend.
You have definately chosen some of the more accurate peices that are currently available and the finished product is inspiring.
Yes, some could say it needs some work on the paint job but at the end of the day it's up to each persons own interpretation.
As Doc said the only way is up.

DogWizard said:
Thanks for the advice - what is really interesting is that I must have watched Adam's video a dozen times and it was my inspiration but not the rule. Adam's paintjobs are spectacular but I didn't want just another "Adam copycat" paintjob

We are not saying that you should make a "copycat" paintjob. We are just saying that you should use his technique for the paint quality etc. It doesnt have to be the same color, or have battle damage or anything.

But right now your painjob looks like "2D", if you improved on it you could get a nice "3D" paintjob.
What i mean by this is that the armor looks kind of flat, and with some painting techniques you could get the details out and make it look even better.

If you dont want to do this it's fine, it's your decision.

But i'm going to FORCE you to paint the underarmor areas black!! (some are green now). Get to WORK!!
...Just kidding!

-Fin(n)ish

PS. Please remember, this is just constructive criticism, and there is nothing wrong with what you got right now.

Finnish_Spartan said:
But i'm going to FORCE you to paint the underarmor areas black!! (some are green now). Get to WORK!!
...Just kidding!
-Fin(n)ish

Yeah - I've already gone back and blacked out the upper collar and bicep "undersuit" areas - It's amazing the kind of details you miss until you see it in pictures (and show fellow enthusiasts). I went back and really started looking at the in-game reference pics so hopefully paintjob version 2 wil be a bit more accurate...

I also spent some time this weekend working on the thighs - because they are Muckletastic they were still just a bit longer than was comfortable. I though that I had trimmed enough the first time around but once the whole suit was on they were still uncomfortable. I need to be able to wear this suit for hours and have full range of motion. I also had a section crack and snap right off - I think he used a lot of resin and not so much with the glass so it was quite brittle. I re-applied multiple layers of fiberglass in 2" bands around the top and bottom of each piece - MUCH stronger now :)

100_1922.jpg

I also recreated some additional applique pieces to hopefully add some detail to the front knee LED areas. I have all the LED hardware on order so I figured why not...

Clay as a temporary mold:

100_1917.jpg

Cast and trimmed down:

100_1918.jpg

A little heat gun and some pressure:

100_1920.jpg

100_1921.jpg

Thanks for the help - more updates to come...

The 2" web belt and suspenders are from a local Army surplus store but they can be picked up on fleabay for almost nothing. All of the raw strapping/buckles/sliders came from fleabay as well from a company called "Country Brook Design"...

Good Luck!

What is Fleabay?

And can you show me a picture of what the belt and suspends look like by themselves?

I really don't have any pics of them by themselves and they are too integrated into the pressure suit at this point to pull apart. I did take a couple more pics - I hope they help...

100_1935.jpg

100_1934.jpg

"fleabay" is just Ebay, sorry about that... :D

LastSpartan said:
I love your strapping dude ^^ Have you included any kind of cooling system? Like fans and such?

Thanks - it took a while to get the strapping done. Most of it is over-engineered but I really wanted it to be comfortable and easy to use. The way it is now, everything is tied into the pressure suit - shoulders, codpiece, buttplate, pouches. I just put the suit on and it's done...

I have a fan in my helmet and I just picked up a Camelback for hydration - hopefully I can mount it in the backplate with the speakers. I moved from Underarmour Coldgear to Heatgear for the summer so that should help too...

For the camelbacks, check ebay or fleabay ^^ for a replacement pack. It's just the plastic bag with the tubes, without the tissue bag.

bigbore_2.jpg

I still don't know what fleabay is and I can't seem to find that kinda belt and stuff on the internet or anything similar...

And our local Army Navy Surplus Store went out of business...

Macattack64 said:
I still don't know what fleabay is and I can't seem to find that kinda belt and stuff on the internet or anything similar...

And our local Army Navy Surplus Store went out of business...

Ebay

It's basically the known universe's largest online marketplace...

Just search 2" web belt or 2" pistol belt...

They can also be found at your local Police/Law enforcement outfitter or gunshop...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back