Modeling Clay Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazybunny

Jr Member
Hey guys, Im starting my clay version of my armor, starting with helmet. Im going to take my time and make my helmet lood uber, and i need a good cheap clay to take my time. My choices are super sculpy, or Blick Gray Modeling Clay.
I want the gray modeling clay, but buying from the internet aint going to happen, maybe if im lucky,but Im going to Micheal's today to get a mannequins head, and using card board as the bas for the helmet.What clay do you suggest?

crazybunny said:
Hey guys, Im starting my clay version of my armor, starting with helmet. Im going to take my time and make my helmet lood uber, and i need a good cheap clay to take my time. My choices are super sculpy, or Blick Gray Modeling Clay.
I want the gray modeling clay, but buying from the internet aint going to happen, maybe if im lucky,but Im going to Micheal's today to get a mannequins head, and using card board as the bas for the helmet.What clay do you suggest?
i would say blick , because buying super sculpy , would be almost as expensive as your helmet is uposed to be uber....

Last edited by a moderator:
If your at Michael's you should be able to pick up Van Aken modeling clay. Should be comparable to Blick clay if not even better. If you've got a few bucks to spend then go with Chavant clay. The harder the clay the sharper an edge the clay can hold. Van Aken and the Blick clay are of medium hardness. The Chavant comes in soft to extremely hard and everything in between.

Reclaimer said:
If your at Michael's you should be able to pick up Van Aken modeling clay. Should be comparable to Blick clay if not even better. If you've got a few bucks to spend then go with Chavant clay. The harder the clay the sharper an edge the clay can hold. Van Aken and the Blick clay are of medium hardness. The Chavant comes in soft to extremely hard and everything in between.
i think im going to call michaels tomorrow and see if they sell van aken , and see ho expensive it is

Last edited by a moderator:
I got all my materials today.I saw van akens, 15 bucks for 4 pounds.i decided to go with a 25 lbs bag of clay. The guy at the store said it is good to be used for making molds, its medium hardness, except its not water or oil based.he said it air dries extremely slow, and to prevent this i just drip some water when it sits over night, and put a bag over it to prevent some air.Ill open a new thred later to show my strofoam head i made, and the clay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back