pipninja

Member DIN
S770
So I think it is about time I start this build thread. With the conclusion of ECCC, My bench is finally free to do some long term projects, the first of which is making better armor crates.

I plan on making two of these full sized halo reach armor crates:
4c2598b8-9389-4d76-bb9e-923c350a941a.jpg

The first steps I took of this process was to learn fusion 360. This is the first time I have ever used fusion 360, and I jumped in head first!

Here is how far I got on the first day:
IMG_20220509_032403_832.jpg

I finished the full model in about 2 days after that:
Reach crate 3d print v7.jpg

Reach crate 3d print v7 (1).jpg

Now originally the plan was to make these much smaller scale, or out of foam, But after many many hours discussing and arguing with Lukavago , I have finally made a few decisions. First, I plan to make this 24" x 24", and I will be making two. This will allow me to store and transport my armor easily, in an awesome case that we can use as booth props in the future. Second, I finally decided upon how I am going to construct the crate. This part is probably the most discussed part of the build so far. we went back and fourth on molding and casting, or 3d printing, or other methods, but I finally made a decision...

I Plan to fully 3d Print the crate, Harden the outside with resin, and fiberglass the inside of the crate. From there, it was a discussion of features.

So here are the things I wanted from my crate:

-Removable caster wheels on the bottom
-preserve outside look of crate to be as accurate as possible.
-flip out handles from the inside to carry it
-lockable lid
-hidden positive latches to preserve space crate look
-stackable

To Achieve these goals, I had to scale up the crate to full size, and start doing a lot of extra modeling. I had to make registration between the pieces, a way to make the latches, the wheel inserts, and the handle connection points, and the pegs for stacking the crates

So here is what I came up with:
Reach crate 3d print v18.png
exploded view.png

So the first step with this build, once I got my scale right, was the hardware. I had to pick up my hardware so I knew what to model in for those hardware points.

PXL_20220823_174508109.jpg

From there, I started with the latch. I decided to have the front space latch magnet over the regular. This would let me either have the crate closed or open, but preserve the look of the space latch. I can also completely remove the space latch, and just have the toggle latch, and be able to put a tsa lock on it for flying
latch front.png
latch back.png
latch front together.png
latch together under.png
latch together.png

The next thing I decided to tackle, was registration of parts. For the vertical registration, I used notches and grooves, while for the horizontal, I used numbered pegs. I specifically numbered them so I know what direction to print them in, and which goes where. There is also a notch and groove on the lid to the top of the box.
registration.png

Next problem to tackle, was the bolts and holes for the caster wheels. On the top of the box, there are 4 decorative bolts, where as on the bottom, there is a slot to install a nut that the caster wheel is going to thread through. I also used this section to crate these triangle pegs, to stack two boxes together.
connection y.png
y together.png
wheel registration hole.png

Finally, the last solution was the handles. I needed something that mounted from the inside, that would be strong enough to pull against to hold up the box. I planned on using nylon strapping, and a pvc pipe to make handles for the box. I will use grommets to bolt through the nylon straps into the box. I inset a nut from the top, and capped it off, sealing it into the side, which then I can thread into from the outside.

PXL_20220823_181130009.jpg
nut holder.png
hex together.png

With all the modeling now done, It is time to start this behemoth. I calculated it, and one crate is going to take a whole 14 rolls of filament!! Each section of the crate is 12" x 12", and just barely fits on my build plate! The first print is now underway.

PXL_20220823_181618012.jpg

To be clear, Pip and I have been..... debating this topic for months now, and we still are. I am trying a different (and hopefully cheaper) path, but I need a bit more time for spin up before I start making post about it. If y'all have ideas, let us know so we have even more stuff to debate!

It may be possible to get away with vacuum forming and failing that maybe a press? Like using a positive and negative form and press a sheet of plastic in-between it to get its shape.

We've talked about that, but the issues with those techniques mostly revolve around scale, the box is simply to big for anything we could build at home. Same issues with doing something like a rotocast. We did talk about doing two part molds and casting it in parts, but we'd still have issues with scale, and a lot more issues with cost. We still might cast some of the outside details though.

Okay, so time for another update! This one is quite a bit smaller. First things first, I separated the parts into a 3x3 grid slice, instead of cutting everything up in quarters. A benefit of this, I can now create interlocking tabs, instead of using registration blocks! I am going to print out and finish one crate at a time. Just finished the first print of the crate! This is the center of the lid

PXL_20220913_224400305.jpg

This is a crazy project! I love it! Probably would have made the main box body of wood, glue/staple/nail a thin sheet/ layer of sturdy plastic over each surface and attach the 3d printed raised edges onto that. Little bit of filler in case of any gaps and some paint and you probably wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't a solid body.

Can't wait to see more of this!

This is a crazy project! I love it! Probably would have made the main box body of wood, glue/staple/nail a thin sheet/ layer of sturdy plastic over each surface and attach the 3d printed raised edges onto that. Little bit of filler in case of any gaps and some paint and you probably wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't a solid body.

Can't wait to see more of this!
We've floated that idea a couple times, and I'm going down a similar road, so we'll see how that goes. Pip is impatient and has a working 3D printer, so he's off to the races :p

So I think it is about time I start this build thread. With the conclusion of ECCC, My bench is finally free to do some long term projects, the first of which is making better armor crates.

I plan on making two of these full sized halo reach armor crates:
View attachment 322076

The first steps I took of this process was to learn fusion 360. This is the first time I have ever used fusion 360, and I jumped in head first!

Here is how far I got on the first day:
View attachment 322077

I finished the full model in about 2 days after that:
View attachment 322079
View attachment 322078

Now originally the plan was to make these much smaller scale, or out of foam, But after many many hours discussing and arguing with Lukavago , I have finally made a few decisions. First, I plan to make this 24" x 24", and I will be making two. This will allow me to store and transport my armor easily, in an awesome case that we can use as booth props in the future. Second, I finally decided upon how I am going to construct the crate. This part is probably the most discussed part of the build so far. we went back and fourth on molding and casting, or 3d printing, or other methods, but I finally made a decision...

I Plan to fully 3d Print the crate, Harden the outside with resin, and fiberglass the inside of the crate. From there, it was a discussion of features.

So here are the things I wanted from my crate:

-Removable caster wheels on the bottom
-preserve outside look of crate to be as accurate as possible.
-flip out handles from the inside to carry it
-lockable lid
-hidden positive latches to preserve space crate look
-stackable

To Achieve these goals, I had to scale up the crate to full size, and start doing a lot of extra modeling. I had to make registration between the pieces, a way to make the latches, the wheel inserts, and the handle connection points, and the pegs for stacking the crates

So here is what I came up with:
View attachment 322081View attachment 322082

So the first step with this build, once I got my scale right, was the hardware. I had to pick up my hardware so I knew what to model in for those hardware points.

View attachment 322083

From there, I started with the latch. I decided to have the front space latch magnet over the regular. This would let me either have the crate closed or open, but preserve the look of the space latch. I can also completely remove the space latch, and just have the toggle latch, and be able to put a tsa lock on it for flying
View attachment 322084View attachment 322085View attachment 322086View attachment 322087View attachment 322088

The next thing I decided to tackle, was registration of parts. For the vertical registration, I used notches and grooves, while for the horizontal, I used numbered pegs. I specifically numbered them so I know what direction to print them in, and which goes where. There is also a notch and groove on the lid to the top of the box. View attachment 322089
Next problem to tackle, was the bolts and holes for the caster wheels. On the top of the box, there are 4 decorative bolts, where as on the bottom, there is a slot to install a nut that the caster wheel is going to thread through. I also used this section to crate these triangle pegs, to stack two boxes together.
View attachment 322090View attachment 322091View attachment 322092

Finally, the last solution was the handles. I needed something that mounted from the inside, that would be strong enough to pull against to hold up the box. I planned on using nylon strapping, and a pvc pipe to make handles for the box. I will use grommets to bolt through the nylon straps into the box. I inset a nut from the top, and capped it off, sealing it into the side, which then I can thread into from the outside.

View attachment 322093View attachment 322094View attachment 322095
With all the modeling now done, It is time to start this behemoth. I calculated it, and one crate is going to take a whole 14 rolls of filament!! Each section of the crate is 12" x 12", and just barely fits on my build plate! The first print is now underway.

View attachment 322096
This is going to be amazing

Thanks! I really wanted to preserve the look from the game.

Small update, I have don't a little redesign across the board. Just some updates on parts, so I basically have to reprint everything except for the center of the lid

But hey, eventually I will finish prototyping, and I'll probably release the files here for anyone who wants to make their own!
great job of working out the hiding of the flip latches you have designed an awesome box..

Kinda been quite the hiatus from this project, but it is finally underway again!! I redesigned the registration squares to interlock, supporting the weight of the pieces with each other, and not relying on just adhesive strength alone!
reach crate full size v29.png

The next step is to do the same interlocking tabs on the lid, and then add magnets into the corners!

Another update, I have finally finished all the modeling!! First, I finished all the interlocking registration!

reach crate full size v32.png

reach crate full size v32(1).png

I also added places to put magnets in the corners, to just hold the lid in place when the latches are not latched.

reach crate full size v32(4).png

reach crate full size v32(2).png

I am going to be using 12mm x 6mm round magnets in these holes. From my tests they are incredibly strong.

An update here, I started modeling in all the hardware!! The handles are nylon straps by the way, I won't have rigid handles lol.

PXL_20230630_190508150.jpg

PXL_20230630_190431563.jpg

PXL_20230630_190442728.jpg

My favorite part so far is these foam inserts. I finished the patterns already and now just need to cut out of foam and assemble!

PXL_20230701_050440914.jpg

This thread is more than 9 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back