My Build for the Winter-Recruit Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geijin

Since it's now to cold for me to work outside, I started working on a build that I can mostly complete indoors. I'm going for Recruit armor. I'm going for this...

Currently, the helmet is pepped and sealed. I tried wood glue sealing, and found I prefer it to resin anyway. It's decently sealed although not hard, but that also means it's light and flexible which should improve comfort.

My plan is to do a foam build, if I can find the mats locally, or a cardboard build using foam patterns, since cardboard is readily available in my house.

So, I thought I replied to this day's ago. Sorry to leave you hanging!

That is an epic looking suit, man. And your helmet is looking good so far. I can't wait to see it finished. Are you sticking with that same paint scheme?

I have seen people make amazing things with readily available materials, but I think foam would be the best option out of the two. I cant wait to see your progress and hopefully your build will get me to finish painting my recruit armor!

What do you mean by wood glue sealing?
It is a method where you use a specific type of glue(wood glue normally is used) and you brush on multiple coats of the glue to seal the material for painting. This works especially well with materials like insulation foam that get eaten away by almost everything else

It is a method where you use a specific type of glue(wood glue normally is used) and you brush on multiple coats of the glue to seal the material for painting. This works especially well with materials like insulation foam that get eaten away by almost everything else
I figured with the foam and some more porous materials but i never would have figured it would work with cardstock builds since its not super liquidy and i wasnt sure it would actually absorb into the paper.

You water it down to about 60% and it soaks in as it dries. However, I will not be continuing to use that method. Santa was very good to me, if a little late. My Christmas presents....

So I will be changing to a 3d printed suit now. I just need to learn how to convert the obj files in the armory into printable files.

Yeah so I'm pretty jealous. Santa wasn't nearly that kind to ME! Haha

I am really looking forward to how your build turns out with the printer, it's a great way to capture a lot of detail. Keep us posted, man.

Ya know......it's times like these that I wish I had some type of iconic figure for Hanukkah......."Ohhh look what Hanukkah Harry left under these burning cups of oil that we dare not move lest we burn the house down." .......nah, just doesn't have the same ring as Santa.

Jelly man....just saying.

Ya know......it's times like these that I wish I had some type of iconic figure for Hanukkah......."Ohhh look what Hanukkah Harry left under these burning cups of oil that we dare not move lest we burn the house down." .......nah, just doesn't have the same ring as Santa.

Jelly man....just saying.

You could always adopt Jellyman as the spirit of Hanukkah. He leaves little jars of preserves and oil around for all the good girls and boys and brutally stings all the bad ones because he's part Portuguese Man of War.

Pro tip for you geijin, pick up a spare meter of PFTE tubing and a handful of fresh PC4-M10 Pneumatic fittings to replace damaged parts in case of a catastrophic filament clog/jam.

I wish it was Santa that really brought it. Alas, it was the 60 hours a week, but it was worth it. This 3d printing thing is amazing. I've printed off two BattleMech figures, just to learn how to set up the printer. I've spent the last 24 hours diving into 3d modeling and printing to get the recruit armor set up. I'm working on the helmet right now, using the obj file from H5 from the Armory.
That's where it's at now. There are some small details and curves that could be changed, but I'm really eager to see what it comes out like, so I might do a "quick" test run from that.
And thanks for the tip TurboCharizard, I'll take any I can get, and I'll put that on my list for my next paycheck. Fortunately, they did sent me an extra nozzle and whatever you call the tube connector. Plus I've been using reading Tenebris's - H4 Air Assault Build, which has helped.

So I figured out that I will not be able to fully convert the obj files and have time to print them before the local cons start, so I made the executive decision to start 3d printing an ODST kit. I know the files work, and I have always wanted to use the SOCOM Magnum. I figure I can start printing that while I get the files set up for the recruit armor. I want to have the recruit done before Halo 6 drops. Anyway, a couple pics of my print on the helmet. It's half done printing, and has taken probably 40ish hours so far.
The front is a little rough because of the way the supports printed, but I'll sand it down when I get ready to prime it. The dark blue is a bit of painters tape that is holding it together while the glue cures.

Man, you've got like, 3 different projects going on man. Lucky you! Haha.

It's more than that, at least 7 that I can think of off the top of my head. I've got blueprints for a SWTOR armored Jedi that I will build if Disney/LucasFilm stop hating on the fans. I've got reference shots to make a Star Trek Elite Forces costume. I have references to do a 3d model for the Martian helmet once I get to the point I can design my own files. And I've got all the pieces for a SteamPunk style cowboy that I just need to hang up and start detailing/weathering. I don't have a mannequin for that yet, so that will wait a couple of paychecks.

A side note, I have a little bit of attention deficit disorder, so I often get started, get distracted, and don't finish for a while. :D

It's more than that, at least 7 that I can think of off the top of my head. I've got blueprints for a SWTOR armored Jedi that I will build if Disney/LucasFilm stop hating on the fans. I've got reference shots to make a Star Trek Elite Forces costume. I have references to do a 3d model for the Martian helmet once I get to the point I can design my own files. And I've got all the pieces for a SteamPunk style cowboy that I just need to hang up and start detailing/weathering. I don't have a mannequin for that yet, so that will wait a couple of paychecks.

A side note, I have a little bit of attention deficit disorder, so I often get started, get distracted, and don't finish for a while. :D

See.....I'm not the only one w/ a lot on their plate. Great job so far geijin.

First big update for these two projects. I have been working to get the obj files for the recruit armor to be printable. However, as I have never done 3d modeling and am a noob at 3d printing, it's progressing very slowly. I did decide to go full on screen accurate with my files as well, so I am having to add details to them, which is slowing the process down to a CRAWL. However, I have made more progress with my printing.

I have completely printed the Halo 3: ODST helmet.

However, I have not been able to actually try it on yet now that it's fully glued together.

I really like the detail of the neck seal, and I want to figure out how to keep it, but it means that right now I can't get it on my head.

In other news, though, I successfully printed the reason I decided to go with an ODST...

I love the way that turned out. My glue job was less than perfect, so there are so offset seams, but overall I'm excited about it.

On the printer front, and one of the main reasons I've only gotten this much printed, is I have run into some difficulties with my printer. It will drift out of level by about the 5th build, and does not have an auto-level, so I have to spend a couple hours every other day releveling it. It also meant that I had a few failed prints on the helmet, hence the shift to black for the last 1/3. I am planning on adding a bed leveler to it to speed up the process. That being said, I have no complaints about the printer. The quality of the prints has been outstanding, even as small scale, as least as far as I've been able to tell. Judge for yourself, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back