My EVA Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment I am remaking the helmet part again, this time a bit smaller to fit correctly. But I am still not sure which direction I'll go for the visor.
*Edit* Just finished putting the pepakura part of the helmet together just waiting for the glue to dry. I will post pictures either, soon, or when i get done at my job.

*Edit #2*Ok I have some pictures and this one fits better now. none of me wearing it now, but it fits much better than my first one.

i think vacuform is the way to go. ive heard of people building real ghetto vacuform pieces with little more than their oven and a vacuum cleaner. anyways, you could spray paint the majority of the visor with gold spray paint, or guild it with 24 k gold leaf if you wanted to be really fancy, and use window tint in the smaller detailed sections so you can see out.

Only really have one good picture of me wearing my helm, out of cash now so can't really comtinue now but it fits well now that it has been scaled down. Still willing to hear comments if any.

Yea I understand that, just really only putting it in for future posts/posters, but yea hopefully i can get the money i need to get the supplies and visor to finish this project.

If i were to attempt this, this is how id do the visor. All of the raised parts of the visor i would make plastic or fiber glass or something solid, and then the areas that are lowered is where i would put visor panels. that way you still have texture to the visor and you dont have to go spend a fortune on something like a astronaut helmet visor

Darthcalibar said:
If i were to attempt this, this is how id do the visor. All of the raised parts of the visor i would make plastic or fiber glass or something solid, and then the areas that are lowered is where i would put visor panels. that way you still have texture to the visor and you dont have to go spend a fortune on something like a astronaut helmet visor
I was thinking about that I am sure that will work well, that might just be what I will do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quadraxis said:
I was thinking about that I am sure that will work well, that might just be what I will do.
I hope you pull it off. Whatever method you use it will be quite a feat to accomplish. Good luck to you

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I think that method will work very well for me, just hope I can get back to work on it soon.

For the visor you can use some of that clear transparent paper, or watever it is that they use, that clear stuff that comes in sheets, and they use at schools for the projector things, ok yea well anyways, after you fold it all right, you can buy some cleaner and wipe the ink off then youll have a visor!!!!!!!!!

It looks really good man, and while I am not a pep guy I think this turned out quite well. For the visor, I think I would try to make the shape and find a way to cast it in a clear plastic. Window tint would be difficult to apply, but if you lined it up and cut it in just the right places it could work.

What you said with the panels should work (If I understand correctly, you are cutting a visor into the separate pieces and then piecing them together to make the whole visor). The key with that would be to make clean cuts, attach them so that whatever is holding them together is not visible from the outside, and make sure that all the seams between pieces are in the areas that are black lines on the actual helmet (that way, If the seams are visible, it won't look as weird, it will look more intentional).

Good luck with making the visor! I hope it turns out just as well as the rest of the helmet!

Yeah. I'm running into this problem too, in materials planning for my Starcraft II marine armor. Their visors are big, curved, mirrored gold on the outside, and transparent on the inside.

It's a tall order.. you need:
-thermo-form-able
-translucent inside
-mirrored outside
-gold
all on one material.
I've googled for that. A lot. I haven't found it.

However, if you merely used any old clear plastic to form the visor, and found a coating method which was reflective on one side and translucent on the other, you'd be in business. I'm pursuing that line of thought lately.

i know what i'm going to do with it. it may look weird, but its worth a shot. you can get some really good metallic spray paints so i'm going to paint the paper visor, then very carefully draw in the details of the bumps and recesses with an orange sharpie then lightly go over again with the metallic amber paint. then i'm going to cut out a region so i can see and attach my visor, but like cut around the details so it looks more natural. i'll show you when i'm done.

You could make the visor in lexan, its pretty cheap and vac forms fairly well. Vac forming small parts is not difficult at all, you can build a basic vac forming set up for about $10 using your home oven and vacuum cleaner, I do it, and it works. You would probably want to pull the visor in 2 parts, just to make it easier. I dont know about the colour, perhaps heat shrink some type of gold coloured vinyl sheet?

Awesome work, ever thought of vaccum forming the whole visor; that is my plan when I tackle the eva. You can get vaccum form plastics that are gold and even translucent. If you have questions I could help ya just drop me a line......

DoC

I would look into vacume forming clear plastic and buying proffesional gold tinting, not the cheap stuff from autozone, but the expensive stuff from real vinyl shops.

ok this is an idea for your visor put the paper visor in so you have some thing to glue the chips too cut out just enough of the middle so that the regular visor fits then take a regular visor and put it in the middle were you cut the hole then take some glass chips or visor chips the same color as your visor and glue them to the paper that is still exposed then it should look ok trust me it will probubly look realy good plus its realy your only option here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back