My First Approach To Armor Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcosmk88

So I live in Argentina and there are a lot of materials which I either can’t seem to find or they are probably called another way.

So I ended up buying regular A4 Paper of 120 grs/m which I hope will survive the resin/fiberglass strengthening.

So after a lot of research and seeing the cool results people got from pepakura, I decided to give it a shot.

I started off trying to build a HD Assault Rifle, but I left it because it was to difficult to assemble.

Then I went on with a easier AR and this is what I made.

ma5c.jpg

I added some details from other models and the barrel looks like it is off but that’s the angel of the photo, I kinda suck as a cameraman, sorry for that;)

After that I peped the Handplates, first they where to small and then they came out to big so eventually I will redo them.

smallhandplate.jpg
bighandplate.jpg

(There's also the helmet tester on the floor)

And if you are thinking: “Why does he has such an awkward ring finger?”

It’s because I also suck at handball, go figure!

Then I tackled the HD MKVI Helmet, that was one though cookie but I think it came out alright.

helmet4.jpg
helmet2l.jpg

helmet1.jpg
helmet3r.jpg

So, today I went and bought some materials like Fiberglass, Resin and paintbrushes (I already bought a respirator, was the first thing on my list), among other things.

After talking to some fiberglass sellers I still had some questions, first is one fiberglass layer enough to strengthen a piece (the helmet)?

And how do you make sure that the fiberglass gets everywhere, I’m especially concerned about how I’m going to reach over the visor.

Any suggestions are going to be appreciated.

(Like I said I’m from Argentina so the grammar probably sucks, sorry for that. And it is my first post ever so no idea if this will go right the first time, I'm talking about the pics)

Oh, and I almost forgot, could somebody send me the unfolded HD codpiece, shins and thighs? Because I can’t seem to find a working download link.

well, its up to u for fiberglass, usually people will put 1-2 layers for helmet, but like for the cod piece of pelvis piece its like 2-3 or even 3-4, and for making sure it covers everywhere just resin one side of the fiberglass till no whit shows and place it in, im sure you'll be able to see where ur fiberglass is needed

Thanks for the quick answer!

I know this is a totally lazy question, but... so am I (at least most of the time)

Do I have to apply one layer of fiberglass, wait till its dries and the apply the other one?

Or do I put one cloth above the other and then apply them at the same time?

Most people use a paintbrush to apply resin and make sure their fiberglass is in all the way. You could use that paintbrush to push the glass all the way into the visor.

By the way, you grammar is better that a lot of people I've seen on the forums :)

Re@per said:
Thanks for the quick answer!

I know this is a totally lazy question, but... so am I (at least most of the time)

Do I have to apply one layer of fiberglass, wait till its dries and the apply the other one?

Or do I put one cloth above the other and then apply them at the same time?

i would do a coat, let it dry and cure, then put another coat on-patience my friend, patience is a virtue 8)

ohh and i dont know if u know this yet but to make the gun hard or strenghten it u might wanna consider using this method ---http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14344&st=0

Last edited by a moderator:
When you put the resin on the outside, make sure that you use a FOAM brush. A regular paint brush, no matter how good you are, will leave streaks that you have to sand down later.

You might also want to put the visor in the helmet. This will help to keep it from warping when you glass it. When you start to fiber glass everything, the hand plates make great practice pieces. It lets you get a quick feel for how fast the resin will set and how much fiber glass might be needed.

As for the mess, well, thats something that is inevitable. There are many ways of getting the fibers into the helmet and many methods. I used the fiber glass cloth when I did mine. First I resined the outside so it would be a little tougher and let that dry for a day. Next I cut the fiber glass cloth into small squares and then worked in batches dipping the squares in resin and putting them into the inside of the helmet. That is just one method though. You can make several large pieces that are cut to fit fir the inside of the helmet and put them in, in large chunks. Resin will stick to itself very well so multiple batches are ok if you want to let one dry then come back and do another section of the interior.

Do a few searches on the boards for different methods that people use when "glassing".

Hope this helps some!

Ice065 said:
You might also want to put the visor in the helmet. This will help to keep it from warping when you glass it.

You mean the visor of the pep file right?

Do I add it before I resin the outside or after I resined the outside?

Re@per said:
You mean the visor of the pep file right?

Do I add it before I resin the outside or after I resined the outside?

just keep the pep visor in the during the whole process then when ur done with all of it the u replace it with ur real visor

SPARTAN-Mills117 said:
just keep the pep visor in the during the whole process then when ur done with all of it the u replace it with ur real visor

So do I also resin/fiberglass it and later cut it out?

Resin the outside of the visor to give it some structure. You don't have to lay fiberglass on the inside. It will be easier to cutout if it is not glassed.

Got it, thanks!

Thanks to Juice I got the HD pep files for the codpiece and both thighs (thanks again), so now I only need the shins :)

It looks like the third is the charmed!

moto0328.jpg

Sorry that it takes long for updates, its just that I'm not so into pep right now.

The weather sucks so I cant resin the pieces and I really want to do that to see if the paper is strong enough before I make new pieces.

Once again, thanks to Juice, I got the pep file for the HD Shins.

So I haven't been working much on my armor, because I don't want to make the peps before I am sure that they will survive the resin+fiberglass.

And the weather isn't helping much, it is constantly raining and it is really cold.

The only thing I did was the forearm size tester and I think it fits good at 26cm (sorry no pics this time).

And I bought some foam brushes.

When I make something new (hopefully the resin + fiberglass) I will post it.

And I wanted to ask something.

Are you able to sit down with the armor on? Specifically the codpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back