My First Armor Build: War Machine 80% and Almost Complete....PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats really nicely done man! definatley does not need to be in the n00b section

Btw (not sure if you know), in your photobucket if you can copy the link with

I'd like to see you wearing that and doing action poses! :B

Soon my friend.. I haven't tried the whole thing on only pieces of it. I am looking for a faux leather undersuit for a cheap price. They have one on Ebay but there asking $145 so im still searching around for a better deal. Yeah I can't wait to put it all together for the final pic's..

wow, this is awesome, and I love the idea for the flash bulbs from old cameras. I'm going to do an iron man build myself for work on Halloween. I was planning on doing something where if you pull up your hand halfway up it would turn the leds on and have a charge up sound. You could make it so that when you fully extend have the flash go off with a shooting sound (having the half way back charging sound preceding this). you could place the speaker in the palm of your hand. But I do have a tendency to day dream, I just think it would be EPIC to pull something like that off. If you do anything like this you should totally post a tutorial/how to for us lesser newbz.

Keep up the awesome work. It looks great, I look forward to your next update.

wow, this is awesome, and I love the idea for the flash bulbs from old cameras. I'm going to do an iron man build myself for work on Halloween. I was planning on doing something where if you pull up your hand halfway up it would turn the leds on and have a charge up sound. You could make it so that when you fully extend have the flash go off with a shooting sound (having the half way back charging sound preceding this). you could place the speaker in the palm of your hand. But I do have a tendency to day dream, I just think it would be EPIC to pull something like that off. If you do anything like this you should totally post a tutorial/how to for us lesser newbz.

Keep up the awesome work. It looks great, I look forward to your next update.

Thats sounds very cool. Stuff like that makes costumes unique. Thanks for the idea's.

Well this is what I'm working on at the moment. The shoes!
Since I am only 5'8. I wanted to be at least 6' tall in the costume. A short War Machine would be weird and lost in the crowd so I would like to stand out more. So here's what I did...Listen up short people.

I bought these Platform shoe's that have a 4" heel... Perfect!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/1mikeknight/War Machine Armor/shoes.jpg

Now I am working on the heel and toe covers at the moment Bondo and Sanding. I will try to conceal the platform shoes as much as I could without it looking too funky. I will then match paint the shoe's with the armor toe and heel covers to give the illusion that im not wearing any platform shoes. Maybe add pieces of armor if needed.

Here's just a test fit. Need alot of work to go...but I will be 6' feet tall in the costume.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/1mikeknight/War Machine Armor/Photo0041.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f194/1mikeknight/War Machine Armor/Photo0043.jpg

I too am 5'8" I think I'll be following this build very closely, do you have a separate thread for your Iron man build? or will both be updated here? I'm really looking forward to seeing how these builds turn out. Best of luck to you!

I think the shoes elevating you are a great Idea. Those shoes look comfortable too, the feet are looking good so far. Keep it up!

Right on! It sucks to be a short robot unless your R2d2. LOL

I will be posting the Iron Man here as well. I havent started the Iron Man build yet till I complete this one. I am shooting for having both done by the beggining of October. Thank god I built this first because I think War Machine is more forgiving as in the smoothness compared to Iron Man that is practically shiny and has to be pretty flawless. But I learned many mistakes with this first build so I am ready to take on the next project with better knowledge at hand.

Nice, its good that you're giving yourself a lot of time. I'm building 3 suites at the same time (first builds too) and hoping to get them done before dragoncon (Just shy of 2 months away :/) Got MRK V & VI & Arby helms pepped and I'm playing around with resin on a demo (way not right scale) helm. So kudos and taking the smart approach to your first build. I know its going to turn out great. Most of the luster in the Iron Man build can be achieved with spray paint right? Or do you have to apply some kind of glossy-ish coat to it? Or have you thought about it much yet?

Nice, its good that you're giving yourself a lot of time. I'm building 3 suites at the same time (first builds too) and hoping to get them done before dragoncon (Just shy of 2 months away :/) Got MRK V & VI & Arby helms pepped and I'm playing around with resin on a demo (way not right scale) helm. So kudos and taking the smart approach to your first build. I know its going to turn out great. Most of the luster in the Iron Man build can be achieved with spray paint right? Or do you have to apply some kind of glossy-ish coat to it? Or have you thought about it much yet?

WOW you cot a journy ahead of you. More power to you. Don't forget to post some pic's when there done. I would love to see them.

For Iron Man Automotive Paint would be great and a couple of passes of gloss depending on how miticulous one is about perfection.

I was just saying that bcause I'm not casting anything just straight Pep. So with Iron Man every ripple in the armor can be seen because of the shine. So I have to be very attentive when I bondo.

Well done! If you can turn out that quality of work for $300 (heck, I'd be thrilled at twice that much!), you have nothing to worry about, skill-wise. Especially for a first set of armor.

man this is an awesome build I will be following this thread for sure. Cant wait to see your Iron man build.

I can't wait too.. I just went over the PDO files for the Iron Man Mark VI and lemme tell ya, I have a full plate on my hands. Since I am almost done with WM, I will start pepping Iron Man on Monday.
I will try to shoot for 2 pieces of armor a day so I can quickly move to Fiberglassing.

Well done! If you can turn out that quality of work for $300 (heck, I'd be thrilled at twice that much!), you have nothing to worry about, skill-wise. Especially for a first set of armor.

Thanks I really appreaciate it. That gives me boost of motivation to continue moving forward when at times I feel like quitting.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am still a noobie at this and I'm not that confident to be in the elite section just yet.
You! Noob!?! No f*#%king way!! this is seriously impresive!
I just took my time with it and read alot of tutoriol's. I figured that if I was gonna armor for the first time that I would do it right somewhat. Thank's to this forum for all of it's info by the way.

YES! OMG YES!! See it is possible! This man stands a testament to the 3 fundamental things that noobs need to abide by when making work like this. Knowledge - Patience - Effort. It pays off!
SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A COOKIE!!

Outstanding work for your 1st build. Very impressed! Keep up the excellent work and keep posting your progress pics. I find them very inspiring and helpful with keeping myself (and others) motivated.

Cheers!

Outstanding work for your 1st build. Very impressed! Keep up the excellent work and keep posting your progress pics. I find them very inspiring and helpful with keeping myself (and others) motivated.

Cheers!

Amen to that LongShot-X!

Quick Update:

I just turned in a big order to complete the War Machine build.

Swat open face Hood
Undersuit
Tactical Vest
Ribbed Neck Seal
Back Brace Support Belt
El Tape RED for the Eye's
9V Inverter
13 LED Remote Control Tap Light (which I will Modify for the arc Reactor )
2X Halo 40mm LED Rings for the hand repulsors
5 yrds 2" Velcro Straps
PVC Tactical Full Finger Gloves.

Total Cost: $96.00 with shipping. Not Bad.

So I have no choice but to wait for all this so at the meantime, Iron Man, Here we Go!

I'll keep you posted on any Updates..

I have a question: Where did you get your "Ribbed Neck Seal?" I'm looking for something similar for my suit.

I have a question: Where did you get your "Ribbed Neck Seal?" I'm looking for something similar for my suit.

I found it on Ebay. They make them for the Stormtrooper costumes. They make them out of faux leather and some of them outta cloth. I suggest getting the one that is leather like. Kinda looks like armor.

Here is a sample of it. But theres alot on Ebay for Cheaper prices.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STORMTROOPER-NE...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c124381f9

May I ask what scale did you use? Did you scale things differently? I used 1.9 for everything, and I find the legs way too big. It's very hard to move.
Straight Pepakura with major fiberglassing, sanding and bondo. Also alot of trip's to Home Depot for the hinges for the articulation in the joints and PVC materials for the Minigun. I just took my time with it and read alot of tutoriol's. I figured that if I was gonna armor for the first time that I would do it right somewhat. Thank's to this forum for all of it's info by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back