My first armor: master chief mark VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for update.

This is the status of the helmet:
Novembre_92_zpsbfee8e68.jpg

This is the butt piece after 3 layers of bondo and one of putty where needed (I also did some hole for future battle damage)

Novembre_103_zpsa2020e66.jpg

And the butt with the primer. No green paint yet since there are several details I want to add...

Novembre_101_zps1f1e3f06.jpg

Attachments

• Novembre_92_zpsbfee8e68.jpg
    Novembre_92_zpsbfee8e68.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 206
  • Novembre_101_zps1f1e3f06.jpg
    Novembre_101_zps1f1e3f06.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 201
  • Novembre_103_zpsa2020e66.jpg
    Novembre_103_zpsa2020e66.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 217
Hey morkar78, you suit is looking great, specially been the first time around, I hope I can get my pep work as clean as yours. I will get mine started next year, so I will keep coming back and see your progress and learn from it too.

great build man. i'm building the halo 4 suit right now too. (the mark VIi :p)i'm not very far (i've only pepped the helmet and torso) but i'll definitely keep an eye on this thread because it seems that nobody uses the fiberglass method anymore. everyone uses foam which makes it hard to find help on this suit. oh well. again, great build. i'll be taking tips from this ;)

Thanks guys! your compliments push me to work more on my armor.

For computergeekman: I'm not surprised that most of the people uses foam, given how much does it take to do an armor with fiberglass, resin and bondo (and how messy they are)...
Computergeekman and jjsan72: I'm looking forward to see pictures of your armor!

Time fo updates: The helmet is still working in progress:
17Novembre6_zpse6547309.jpg

17Novembre5_zpsbf69e775.jpg

...while the boots are hardened and ready (almost!) for bondo
17Novembre3_zps01c4525b.jpg

17Novembre4_zpsc3f2cac3.jpg

Attachments

• 17Novembre6_zpse6547309.jpg
    17Novembre6_zpse6547309.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 17Novembre3_zps01c4525b.jpg
    17Novembre3_zps01c4525b.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 17Novembre5_zpsbf69e775.jpg
    17Novembre5_zpsbf69e775.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 17Novembre4_zpsc3f2cac3.jpg
    17Novembre4_zpsc3f2cac3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 204
Thanks!!! I'm actually enjoying the complexity of some parts, such as the chest, the legs and the helmet...what is really painful is working in the driveway when the temperature is around zero...Thanks for the link!!!

Helmet update....there are a lot of details so I'm going slowly (also because in the meanwhile I'm bondoing the shins....and living my life...;) ), but I'm satisfied of the results so far...

Novembre_224_zps0e484732.jpg

Attachments

• Novembre_224_zps0e484732.jpg
    Novembre_224_zps0e484732.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 223
Morkar, What pep file did you use for your helmet. I love the detail thats in it. Very impressive pep work by the way!!

Time for update!

I've pepped the helmet....ready for the hardening.
I guess that it is better to remove the part for the visor when the rest is hardened with the resin, to have a stronger structure during the hardening, no?

Helmet_pepfinished_zps5fd61919.jpg

Helmet_pepfinished_2_zps6f33bc1f.jpg

Attachments

• Helmet_pepfinished_zps5fd61919.jpg
    Helmet_pepfinished_zps5fd61919.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 191
  • Helmet_pepfinished_2_zps6f33bc1f.jpg
    Helmet_pepfinished_2_zps6f33bc1f.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 197
This is looking quite awesome!

To answer your question, I will reference Cereal Kill3r's instructional video where he not only hardened the exterior, but he also did a 50/50 rondo mix on the inside before cutting. That was his chest piece though, but I figure the same rule would go for the visor because of what he and you stated... the more ridged, the less likely to warp, and not going overboard on the rondo was key in his vid... a nice thin coat is what he did.

Anyone care to second this? Or perhaps state something contrary?

I was thinking to use the fiberglass instead of the rondo to avoid more weight on my neck...even if I know I'll scratch all my head ;) Thanks for the compliments!

I actually also recommend a thin coat of rondo on the inside to start, especially with a helmet with this amount of detail. The rondo layer will fill in all the crevices of the detail that fiberglass would normally miss and leave air bubbles. With a layer of rondo down, you can then apply a layer or two of fiberglass cloth. The rondo will provide a smooth base to apply your glass, which, if done right, will greatly reduce the chance of any stray strands poking you in the future. The extra weight of the rondo shouldn't be all that noticeable when you're wearing the helmet (unless you really go overboard with how much you add). I did this to my H3 Mk VI helmet and my ODST helmet; both are solid as a rock and right around the same weight as a motorcycle helmet.

OK guys, I'll follow your tips. I need to avoid that the rondo will cover the part of the visor that I have to take off... There is a "Help:visor" thread, if I remember correctly...I'll guess I'll find useful info there

Just an FYI, Cereal's vid I was referring to is here. Even if you don't go that route, it is full of great info... in fact, I would check out all his videos. He is truly a master.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back