my first pep helmet *update*

Status
Not open for further replies.

murakumo

Jr Member
well this is my first try at making a master chief helmet using pepakura. This is all i have done so far so tell me what you guys think of it :)
[attachment=259:09_10_07_1536.jpg]
[attachment=260:09_10_07_1537.jpg]

Looks very nice,I'm starting on my own Pep helmet here aswell..I've only had one trouble,and I'm slamming my head against the wall trying to figure it out..Where did you start to fold at?Which piece did you begin with,in simpler terms..

i started with the top of the visor its like #1
for some reason it was easier for me instead of starting at the jaw

Are you using bondo? Ive been sanding for 2 week and it still looks crap...Im kind of loosing patience because everyone is getting amazing results in so little time. And ive put countless hours of sanding in to my helm and it still looks bad, and unsmooth... :mad: :cautious:

Nice work btw!

P.S can anyone help me with the sanding? Or has anyone got tips on geting your helmet smooth?

smilie120 said:
Are you using bondo? Ive been sanding for 2 week and it still looks crap...Im kind of loosing patience because everyone is getting amazing results in so little time. And ive put countless hours of sanding in to my helm and it still looks bad, and unsmooth... :mad: :cautious:

Nice work btw!

P.S can anyone help me with the sanding? Or has anyone got tips on geting your helmet smooth?

sure thing. use an orbital sander to get it as smooth as you can with 80 grit paper. then put a light skin of bondo on it, and cheese grate it while its still fairly soft. then sand it again and it'll look great. just look for my thread about my Optimus Prime helmet or my Daft Punk helmet. i used the same method on both of those.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly how much is an orbital sander, secondly can you sand it well without one and thirdly what does cheese grate mean.

You can also use what they call a mouse or detail sander. Thats all I use and it lets you get into all the corners and crevices. Start off with 80 grit and then smooth out with 120-220 grit. You can see my helmet and thats all I used. IMO if you are using a cheese grater or a sure form as they are called you have applied to much bondo to begin with. Use light coats and it wont be such a chore to sand. ITs easier to add a little more then remove a lot. Once again just my opinion. There is more then 200 ways to make change for a dollar and sand bondo.

Mouse Sander about $19.00 at Wal Mart or ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Decker-Detail-Fi...4QQcmdZViewItem

Nah a decent orbital sander well set you back WAY over $100, but I have a dremel to it good for details, but I need to sand a LARGE surface area, and im not willing to buy an oorbital sander, i have an elcetric 1 but its taken me 2WEEKS! cmon there has to be somthing wrong there if nothings smooth after 2 weeks! :mad: :cautious: :mad:

Smilie check the detail sander out. I even use it when I am doing large sections of vehicle restores. ORbitals can not get into corners where as the detail sander can.

Mine helm was done entirely out with the detail sander. No hand sanding and only took me about 1 hour to get smooth.

[attachment=266:CIMG4740.JPG]

i just re-sanded the jaw part and it looks a lot better now. i also did the back part of the neck piece, its not done yet but its getting there. oh yea some of the pictures are dark because i took them at night.
[attachment=284:09_13_07_1901.jpg]
[attachment=285:09_13_07_1902.jpg]
[attachment=286:09_13_07_1903.jpg]
[attachment=287:09_13_07_1915.jpg]
[attachment=288:09_13_07_1916.jpg]
[attachment=289:09_13_07_1919.jpg]

nice work! im hopin mine turns out half as good. i have really shitty reference pics. what pics are you using?

See this is my result......

sfiohgvsfuoabhuodbesx1.jpg

that took almost a Whole week of sanding!!!! o_O

and I was using sanding bits like these for my dremel

sandigdiskszj0.png

and
sandingbiteo3.png

so.. any ideas? or maybe I overdid it on the hardener?

MandoMan531 said:
nice work! im hopin mine turns out half as good. i have really shitty reference pics. what pics are you using?

im using these. i got it from this http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3158
[attachment=307:SpartanHelmet1.jpg]
[attachment=308:SpartanHelmet2.jpg]
[attachment=309:SpartanHelmet3.jpg]
[attachment=310:SpartanHelmet4.jpg]
[attachment=311:SpartanHelmet5.jpg]
[attachment=312:SpartanHelmet6.jpg]

Last edited by a moderator:
ahh
i think i might give up
im not really making that much progress anymore and by the time halo 3 comes out i dont think i will have time to do it haha
anyone know a good place thats not on the internet to get motorcycle visors?
all the details might be done at the ed of this week if i have time

oh yeah to smile
i used the round sander thing on the rotary tool to get all the rough edges out and then i sanded it down by hand
its not really that hard but its very time consuming
oh yeah also your the one that inspired me to start this :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back