My First Time Making A Helmet. Pics Inside! Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgedemort

I finally got all my school projects out of the way and finally got to finish this! It's my first time working with hard stuff! So what do you guys think? I'm thinking I want to move onto a harder helmet like recon or something! Or do you guys think I need more improvement and stuff. Because recon looks like a pain in the membrane!

Note: Lenses are temporary.

Image033.jpg

P1010284.jpg

P1010281.jpg

P1010278.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all. It's got a bit more texture to it than I'd like on a helmet of my own, but it could just be a helmet with combat wear that's been repainted. The details could use a bit of work (Actually it doesn't look like there are any added details at all.) I'm assuming this is a straight resined/glassed pepakura, and if so it's one of the best I've seen. Great work.

Man Haruhi said:
I finally got all my school projects out of the way and finally got to finish this! It's my first time working with hard stuff! So what do you guys think? I'm thinking I want to move onto a harder helmet like recon or something! Or do you guys think I need more improvement and stuff. Because recon looks like a pain in the membrane!

Note: Lenses are temporary.

Image033.jpg

P1010284.jpg

P1010281.jpg

P1010278.jpg
dude!!! thats way better than mine:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Unique Name said:
Not bad, not bad at all. It's got a bit more texture to it than I'd like on a helmet of my own, but it could just be a helmet with combat wear that's been repainted. The details could use a bit of work (Actually it doesn't look like there are any added details at all.) I'm assuming this is a straight resined/glassed pepakura, and if so it's one of the best I've seen. Great work.

Heehee, thank you!

Actually I put bondo on there, but I couldn't get it to work! Sadly, I tried smoothing it out but it kept getting all bumpy again! It was my first time working with bondo, so I'm still trying to "get it down" if you know what I mean.

Thanks for being so nice, I was worried that the first post would be "OMG GTFO".

pumpkinhead said:
dude!!! thats way better than mine:)

Thank you! I feel so relieved!

Man Haruhi said:
Actually I put bondo on there, but I couldn't get it to work! Sadly, I tried smoothing it out but it kept getting all bumpy again! It was my first time working with bondo, so I'm still trying to "get it down" if you know what I mean.

Why did you add the bondo? I'm about to start reinforcing my first helm and only planned to fiberglass/rosin it. Personally I like the hard contour lines, so maybe that's why I'm thinking of skipping the bondo. What did it look like after just the rosin coatings, any pics?

[edit] btw, I agree with the above post, GREAT JOB! Hope mine looks that good :)

agroom said:
Why did you add the bondo? I'm about to start reinforcing my first helm and only planned to fiberglass/rosin it. Personally I like the hard contour lines, so maybe that's why I'm thinking of skipping the bondo. What did it look like after just the rosin coatings, any pics?

[edit] btw, I agree with the above post, GREAT JOB! Hope mine looks that good :)

I put bondo because...I thought it would make those lines on the helmet go away! But in my case I guess I didn't work out, haha.

Sorry, but this is the only picture I have of it with the resin coating only.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images0...bb771c2d166.jpg

It looked kinda geometric. I drew the happy smile to block out the mean phrase directed towards the Hayabusas!

And thanks very much! This community is so supportive!

Man Haruhi said:
I put bondo because...I thought it would make those lines on the helmet go away! But in my case I guess I didn't work out, haha.

Sorry, but this is the only picture I have of it with the resin coating only.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images0...bb771c2d166.jpg

It looked kinda geometric. I drew the happy smile to block out the mean phrase directed towards the Hayabusas!

And thanks very much! This community is so supportive!

Yeah, I'd have to agree...it does look too geometric. Good call on the bondo, i think it looks great, but better luck on your next one!

agroom said:
Yeah, I'd have to agree...it does look too geometric. Good call on the bondo, i think it looks great, but better luck on your next one!

Thanks! I really hope I can get this bondo stuff down so I can start on a recon helmet! It's just too awesome!

Nice job! I think the additional bumps and texture you're getting is from air pockets that were whipped into the bondo while you were mixing in the catalyst. Many people fill in those voids that show up after sanding with spot putty or more bondo (only use a tiny bit!). Remember to scrape it flat with a spreader when applying. Bondo is only used to build up dips and fill in holes. Then you sand back down the high spots. Rinse and repeat. :) Try it out on small areas, one at a time, until you get the hang of it. Then do the rest of the helmet. I'm sure you'll get your EOD so it's perfect!

MrOreo123 said:
Nice job! I think the additional bumps and texture you're getting is from air pockets that were whipped into the bondo while you were mixing in the catalyst. Many people fill in those voids that show up after sanding with spot putty or more bondo (only use a tiny bit!). Remember to scrape it flat with a spreader when applying. Bondo is only used to build up dips and fill in holes. Then you sand back down the high spots. Rinse and repeat. :) Try it out on small areas, one at a time, until you get the hang of it. Then do the rest of the helmet. I'm sure you'll get your EOD so it's perfect!

Actually...I think you're spot on correct about the problem! And thanks very much for providing a solution! I will try the technique out as soon as I can!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back