My Hayabusa Helmet/ Armor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas 56

I just finished my first pepakura project. Eventually I'm going to make the whole suit of armor in my avatar picture. Tell me what you think. I also have some questions on how to complete it. Most importantly, what should I use to strengthen the horns and back rim since the are small and I won't be able to get the fiber glass in it? And what is the best tool for sanding it?
I'll keep you posted on the rest of my armor build! ;)
0108092026-00.jpg

0108092026-01.jpg

0108092026-02.jpg

0108092028-02.jpg

0108092028-01.jpg

if you have enough fill it with fiberglass and hold it in place until it cures or you could fill it with hot glue or something of the sort and looks good

Wow very nice. Everyday I am more impressed with hayabusa. One day maybe. Actually if you can talk with wrinks he want to do one when we get home.

Ithica

For the 'horns" i would recomend that after the outside coat of resin is cured, fiberglass as much as you can, then pour excess resin into the remaining spaces.

Ithica said:
Wow very nice. Everyday I am more impressed with hayabusa. One day maybe. Actually if you can talk with wrinks he want to do one when we get home.

Ithica
I've always loved the Hayabusa Helmet! :p The helmet took me 2 days to cut out the pieces and 3 days to build it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice build! I'm pleased to see more people are beginning to produce this rare helmet. Haven't really seen many attempted. I would suggest the same thing Twisting_Neather did with the resin and fiberglass. Keep it up, girl. Looking forward to seeing more of your Hayabusa armour build come together ;)

rvb18 said:
fiber glass them and try foam (not much )

No disrespect to rvb there, but personally I would strongly advise against the expanding foam approach to fill in those "horn" extensions on the sides of the helmet.

I've seen at least a few mishaps with armour and/or weapon builds here, as the foam expands too much and results in either the armour piece or weapon becoming warped/distorted and often involves the foam breaking through the seams. I can almost guarantee that if you tried that, you'd split those side extensions apart. Not pretty, and kinda frustrating.

Ask BlackRoseImmortal about her H2/H3 hybrid Sniper Rifle, and she can tell you a few things about that.

Contrary to popular belief, even though the resining/fiberglassing process does strengthen the frame of many Pep builds, it's not necessarily sturdy enough to withstand the pressure of expanding foam, as I have seen several examples of. Your best bet would be to employ the technique that Twisting_Neather proposed. I would tend to agree with his assessment.

Again, some good work on your armour so far. Keep at it :)

I plan on makiong the Hyabusa helm eventually, and when I do, I will probably resin the outside first, then use Smooth Cast 300 to coat the inside. That technique worked well on my EOD, and I think it would be good to reach the farthest corners of the horns without leaving any spaces.

Remraf said:
I plan on makiong the Hyabusa helm eventually, and when I do, I will probably resin the outside first, then use Smooth Cast 300 to coat the inside. That technique worked well on my EOD, and I think it would be good to reach the farthest corners of the horns without leaving any spaces.

Or, you could do that Rox :lol:

Remraf said:
What is that stuff and where can I get it?

Twisting_Neather said:
For the 'horns" i would recomend that after the outside coat of resin is cured, fiberglass as much as you can, then pour excess resin into the remaining spaces.
I think I might go with that technique.

Roxas 56 said:
What is that stuff and where can I get it?

Smooth cast 300 link

Here ya go Rox. This Idea is way better than RVB's foam......No offense RVB but the expanding foam would be very detrimental to her beautifully made Hayabusa helmet. Iam lookin forward to seeing more progress.

Personally I would go with the smooth-cast option, just because it's a reasonable alternative to fiberglass, and because the method for pep is called slush-casting, which really strengthens up harder to reach areas such as the horns on the hayabusa.

Spartan857 said:
Smooth cast 300 link

Here ya go Rox. This Idea is way better than RVB's foam......No offense RVB but the expanding foam would be very detrimental to her beautifully made Hayabusa helmet. Iam lookin forward to seeing more progress.
Thanks for the link. Do you still apply fiber glass or do you use both? And can it be used on the outside to?

You can do without the glass, and it's better to apply a generous amount to the interior and then sand off any part where it leaked until you can begin the bondo process. I suppose you could apply it to the outside, but it's a very watery material and you'll just end up with a mess.

Veritech017 said:
You can do without the glass, and it's better to apply a generous amount to the interior and then sand off any part where it leaked until you can begin the bondo process. I suppose you could apply it to the outside, but it's a very watery material and you'll just end up with a mess.
I went witout the glass, but in the tutorial it says that you can use it if you have thin spots. Here is a link to a tutorial on using Smooth Cast for your helm. Don't know why I didnt think of posting it earlier...
Yes, the stuff is very watery, so applying to the outside of the helm wouldnt work too well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back