My latest piece of work

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoBfrost

FS2ndhelmet.png

I haven't resin/fiberglassed/hot glued it yet due to the weather and cold, but I can still do work in pepakura for gluing and folding!

It's a second attempt Flying squrill helmet, my favorite of them all, took me about 2 days 6-7 hours in all.

The visor right now is just a piece of cardstock glued on, I'm just using it for support and of course looks.

Wow I really need to make this helmet lol. Just a quick question. when you resin the outside and later put on bondo, wouldn't the tiny folds on the nose piece become filled in if you aren't SUPER DUPER careful? Or would the resin sort of just even itself out and the bondo can be sanded?

Picture isnt working for me, but my computer si being highly laggish so that could be why.... but I can see all of your avatars, hmmm, I bet it looks great frost keep up the good work! Cant wait to not see more!

I use something which I was forced to use. Mainly I use elmers all purpose or hot glue (high temp), but I was out of both and havent bought more, so I decided to use school glue, it too kme another 30 minutes or so just to hold each tab till it dried.

Also, resin takes the shape of the helmet when brushed on, it's like brushing on water, but thicker, it will even out and take the shape, some bumps and globs can be sanded out. And for bondo, bondo can be sanded, so any details covered up and be sanded back to where you need it.

Descended Life said:
very very smooth and pretty ! im going to try that when i start, im thinking of using a low temp. hot glue gun, what did you use?

I would use high temp. Low temp dries REALLY fast and you may not have time to get the tab on. And if you do, it may not be liquid enough to be squished flat, and stay in a bumpy glob. That happened to me when I didn't wait for my glue gun to fully heat up.

AoBfrost said:
Also, resin takes the shape of the helmet when brushed on, it's like brushing on water, but thicker, it will even out and take the shape, some bumps and globs can be sanded out. And for bondo, bondo can be sanded, so any details covered up and be sanded back to where you need it.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by a moderator:
death said:
I would use high temp. Low temp dries REALLY fast and you may not have time to get the tab on. And if you do, it may not be liquid enough to be squished flat, and stay in a bumpy glob. That happened to me when I didn't wait for my glue gun to fully heat up.
Thanks for the info!

I'm using Low temp. Just wait for the low temp to be hot and it's ok. High temp could burn your fingers.

Last edited by a moderator:
High temp isnt that hot, it does hurt, but it isnt "OMG IT BURNS" hot. It just slightly burns and pricks your fingers from the heat, I've had my gun on for 30-40 minutes and touched it without needing to take my finger off of it.

at last he posts!!! wow, i think this is a first! :lol: not too bad, not to bad at all. so you guna break the habit and show us the rest of the stuff you were workin on?

I will be using my magically awesome hot glue method, once it stops freezing cold. I only have space in my garage to do this, and my garage is like 20 degress right now. If hot glue dries in 20-30 seconds, it will dry even faster if surrounded by cold air.

Also FS, NO, MY WORK IS MINE, NONE SHALL SEE :p

Maybe sometime, I have a ton of pep stuff I have half done, 90% done, and alot of stuff that is done but just needs some resin and glass. (or hot glue!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back