Props My MA5K Build so far (Spoiler alert) New Pics page 2 Nov 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Got into Halo by Reading the books. I fell in Love with the Spartan III's in Ghosts of Onyx. Here were Volunteers, war orphans who are given the chance to get even with the covenant. With cheaper armor and a cut down almost sub machine gun sized Assault rifle the MA5K as there main armament.

So I knew the first firearm I had to make was a MA5K. and here are some pics of the build so far. I hope to have it done by the end of this week. it is made from scrap wood and some metal I had laying around my shop. I wanted this Prop to have a real feel to it so I opted for metal and wood construction. Visit my album to see more pics, will update this thread as I get more done.

A full sized Cardboard layout and a old 2x4
gallery_3697_149_119774.jpg

The grip and magazine housing cut out ready for more shaping.
gallery_3697_149_28004.jpg

Bolt carrier, Battle sights and a trigger made from sculpey, see my sculpey post for more info on Sculpey. The Battle sights are glow in the dark Sculpey to give the over all build a bit more realism.
gallery_3697_149_49897.jpg

The Barrel and flash hider ready for paint
gallery_3697_149_18929.jpg

Ok here is how it is looking so far, lots of spot putty so I can have a clean finish. More parts to be cut and glued up.
gallery_3697_149_38699.jpg

dang, this looks awesome.. keep me updated

btw halo books are amazing.. new one "contact harvest" comes out the 30th

blinkava44 said:
dang, this looks awesome.. keep me updated

btw halo books are amazing.. new one "contact harvest" comes out the 30th

Thanks man I could not have done as much as I have without your high res images of the AR you posted, props to Blink! Yes I am looking forward to the new halo book the 30th!

PillowFire said:
nice I look forward to see the finished product.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan 161 said:
Thanks man I could not have done as much as I have without your high res images of the AR you posted, props to Blink! Yes I am looking forward to the new halo book the 30th!

Thanks

no prob dude, im here to help..
let me no if you need any more

any chance your making a SPI suit to go along with the MA5K? :mad:

blinkava44 said:
no prob dude, im here to help..
let me no if you need any more

any chance your making a SPI suit to go along with the MA5K? :mad:

I would love to! I just need a lot of reference pics for that. I am unsure if that one odd looking Spartan on the cover of Ghosts of Onyx is in SPI armor or not. maybe we could ask Bungie?

Thinking about making another MA5K so I can do a dual wielding pose lol

Thank you all for your encouragement. Ok here are some updated pics of what I have got done today.

Here is the Battle sights in place inside the carrying rail. Scary thing is these would work fine in CQB work.

gallery_3697_149_7102.jpg

Here is more of the basic receiver shaped and the magazine release in place. The placement of this ambidextrous switch is right at fingertip position for right or left handed users.

gallery_3697_149_58511.jpg

And finally the removable magazine has its basic shape done. Its all held in place by high power magnets. Works very well. I couldn't shake it loose, But a good grip and it yanks free, now I need to make 2 or three more magazines for a quick reload.

gallery_3697_149_68384.jpg

Ok that's all for now, I have a great deal more sanding to do before I reach the paint stage. Plus I have to make a buttplate and pad for the back. If I keep on working on it I should have it painted by Saturday sometime. So hows it looking?

theres some tutorials on here, if you made me one id be willing to give it a shot and id give you the molds. from what everyone says it doesnt seem that hard. talk to adam or sean bradley, or link.

daystar558 said:
theres some tutorials on here, if you made me one id be willing to give it a shot and id give you the molds. from what everyone says it doesnt seem that hard. talk to adam or sean bradley, or link.

Well if there is enough interest in a MA5K I will look into molding.

kanianreborn said:
This is freaking awesome man!

You definably should consider making a mold of this, I know I would want to buy one from yah.

Panton6 said:
sick man thats sick. first to make( i think :p) and first one is awsome

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(just me(no one else) @ Oct 25 2007, 05:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>that is just amazing
i wan one of those!!...</div>
Thank you all for your encouraging comments. Kanianreborn I sent you a pm about your shotgun schematic, hope you drop me a line back. looks promising.

Here is what I got done today. A lot of sanding out of the way and a few last things.

First off I got this filled in section under the carrying rail all done. in the picture of Ghosts of onyx this area looks like a metal stamping to me to I will try and approximate it with body filler and Sculpey. Sorry its a bit blurry.

gallery_3697_149_10221.jpg

Next was getting the butt plate cut, glued on and final fitting. here it is all done.

gallery_3697_149_28347.jpg

Last but not least I have all the sculpey pieces but one glued onto the gun body. The one not pictured is the bolt carrier. that one gets a special paint job then glued in last. Woot! Looking like a prop off to an Ultra flat black paint job!!!
gallery_3697_149_44385.jpg

Well that's all for now, stop by later I will have more pics up soon!

Murakumo said:
dang that looks awesome. how heavy is it?
Actually its very light, I will weigh it when I am done painting and detailing. It weighs less than a fully loaded M16 I can tell you that.

Ares said:
Very cool. I like it!

By the way, it's Iron Sitghts, not Battle Sights.
After a nice conversation with an old friend from the 1st ID and who is a firearms historian here is what I have to say about "Sights".

The Term Battle sights is used in current training manuals. "Sights" "Sight Picture" and "Battle Sights" appear in my old FM manual from the 90's. The term "Iron sights" however never appears in print at all In this Army manual. The reason for this will become clear in a moment read on.

The term "Iron Sights" dates back to pre Napoleonic wars time. When high grade steel was expensive and only used in the rifle barrel and springs of the muzzle loading firearms. Generally things like the sights were made of very low grade iron and tended to rust easily. Thus the term Iron sights.

This use of the term "Iron sights" continues to this very day among historians and gunsmiths alike. But, the U.S. Army sometime after the Korean war decided to distance themselves from the use of this term. Because most use of the term "Iron Sights" was used in relation to hunting rifles and many in the army felt that even something as small as that use of the term was unprofessional of a modern solider.

This Idea of Professional Attitude has stuck to this day and I would imagine far into the future.

In closing the use of either term "Battle sights" or "Iron Sights" is up to an individual. I use Battle sights because it is how I have always herd them referred to during my time in the service. Plus seeing as how this is a replica of a future Assault rifle used in warfare and not hunting I will stick to my use of the term "Battle sights." But feel free to use whatever term you wish.

Thank you for your encouraging comment and stimulating an excellent conversation with an old friend.

Ok here is the progress of the painting today. 3 Coats of Ultra flat black paint. the last coat is still drying in these pics. Here is the left side of the MA5K. I like how she is turning out.

gallery_3697_149_57346.jpg

Here is the right side. Cant wait to get on to the next step. adding the foam for the fore grip and butt plate. Then gluing in the bolt carrier, almost done!

gallery_3697_149_82777.jpg

More Pictures on the way sometime tomorrow. Hope to see you all come back to my thread. Once again thank you all for your encouragement.

Edit, Sorry the paint looks gray here, its really black, stupid flash. will have to do some shots in the sunlight tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back