My Mark Vi Armor Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfrankl3

Yesterday I started on the Helmet, I've gotten about 3 hours work in on it. I should note that I am actually a paper modeler to begin with, so I've got experience with this sort of stuff already, but I must say this Halo armor is very fun! First off, here is what I use as a paper modeler, getting into Halo armor.

Hear are simply some of my tools. From left to right, a Stanley tools metal ruler, a smooth jawed set of pliers, a small exacto knife, a exacto woodworkers knife, extra blades (blades should be swapped out about every 5 hours of cutting). Above, a hemostat (I have about 15 great things and fairly cheap), and a small binder clip. Personally I think the tools are probably the second most important thing to the glue. BTW I recommend that you DO NOT use scissors, while it may be faster, it shows in the results.

Well here are the most important parts of the whole thing the glue. From left to right, UHU twist and glue, very good glue for laminating. Tacky glue, super thick Tacky glue, and fast grab Tacky glue. Personally I find tacky glue to be the best thing for paper modeling.

Well here is what I have done thus far. I did make part of the low def helm several weeks ago, but found that it was well simply too "low def" so I decided to upgrade. I have to give a huge kudos and more importantly a big thanks out to flying_squirl and Robogenisis for a very clean model and masterfully unfolded model. Their work simply rocks.

P.S. Also, a big thanks to Adam so I could finally join this great site. I have been lurking around for the last few weeks and have picked up on alot of great information on this site on how to make my armor.

Nice work man, looks like you will be tackling the FS HD Chest in no time!

So why don't you like working with hot glue?

I love that!

That's the kind of new members I love to see! And +, he knows exactly what he's doing. Congrats and Welcome to the 405th!

bravo...good folds ...check...good glue...check...army of religious aliens to fight.....well....were working on that...but till then keep it up..it looks like your really organized..

First off, thank you all for your comments. Also, pooper your armor is simply superb, I love the clean lines of it.

I got about 45-60min of work in tonight on my helmet. I now have pretty much all of the "baseball cap" part of the helmet done. I am planning to light up my helmet using conventional LED's with EL wire accent along the bottom interior of the visor. I was also thinking about using EL sheeting, Link, for the lighting on the parts of the armor like the cuisse/thigh.
I was also planing to use some of my experience with fabric analog inputs wired into a Arduino board, Link, to allow for lighting and sound control centrally located on a fabric touch bad on the neck.
Anybody else try this before, I tried the search but came up with nothing. Anybody have any thoughts?

Sorry about the hairy arms!

P.S. Does anybody know where I can get those cool sigs where it shows Master Chief's armor and color codes what state it's component parts are in, i.e. peped, resined, painted, etc...

It's nice to have a member who has experience with papercraft! The helm is looking really good so far. Nice clean folds and great job on the glue. I also use tacky glue from time to time. Having experience just means we'll expect greater things from you! :D Keep us updated and welcome to the 405th! The Q&A Team can answer just about any questions you might have.

Once again thanks for all the nice comments, also thank you Ph4de for the link to the sig generator.

Well I've been building my helm and I thought it started looking a little small so I made a sizer to the same scale. I really had to trim the neck opening to fit my head, is that normal? More importantly, does this look sized well? I'm not to sure how it should fit. Thanks.

P.S. Sorry ILikeCats I forgot to answer your question. I don't use hot-glue because it produces seams that I find to be too bulky, and it doesn't bond as well as a correctly glued joint; also I'm simply using the skills, tools and techniques from my paper modeling for this. Plus I tend to burn myself when I use my glue guns.

Great job so far...

Oh your thoughts using EL wire products.... If you have never used it you will find it not very bright. It is almost useless in a light room and forget out daylight usage.

Yeah, thanks about the el wire, I've seen that, but I only want it for night use, kinda like running lights on a ship.
But is that is how the sizer is supposed to fit?

K Franklin said:
Yeah, thanks about the el wire, I've seen that, but I only want it for night use, kinda like running lights on a ship.
But is that is how the sizer is supposed to fit?

Looks about correct to me... Th MC helm fits like a motocross helm so its a somewhat tight fit to the head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all your nice comments. Thanks for pointing out that it should fit like a motor-cross helmet, it looks exactly like one now that I look at it.

Well I've finished up the rear bulge of my helmet now that I have confirmed that it would fit by building the size tests (which is something I really should have done to begin with like all you guys say!). Thanks again.

K Franklin said:
Thank you for all your nice comments. Thanks for pointing out that it should fit like a motor-cross helmet, it looks exactly like one now that I look at it.

Well I've finished up the rear bulge of my helmet now that I have confirmed that it would fit by building the size tests (which is something I really should have done to begin with like all you guys say!). Thanks again.
looking good keep it up
richie

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for all the comments. The circle in now complete and my brain bucket is done. It's a tight fit even with lots of trimming, but never the less it is now done. I'm probably gonna resin it tomorrow night, a second coat tuesday, and a fiberglass and bondo it Wednesday. Once the smoothing is done I'm gonna prime paint and then install the lights, I'm thinking about using 10mm Led's for the helmet lights. Well please tell me what you think. I'm thinking I might start pepping the forearms as well (I feel like doing a easy part now!).

Well if anybody has any tips or comments please feel free to make them. As always thank you all for your kind words.

It feels nice to be able to make my armor status sig now that my helmet is done!

Looks like you did an excellent job on the bucket! Which forearms are you planning on? Med def or High? I guess we don't need to worry about you not doing a bang up job! I'm impressed with what you've done so far. Keep it up and we'll see you in the elite section!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back