My Name Is

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreadMullet

my god... i just got back from seeing this movie, and if you are a trek fan you will love it... and if somehow you arent a star trek fan you will still love it.

any body else see this?
what are your thoughts?

and please no spoilers... if you are going to post something that might be a spoiler say SPOILER ALERT and do this
i laughed my ass off when Sabotage started to play in the begging

so yea, if you didnt get to see it tonight check it out first thing tomorrow... skip school, call in sick to work. and this movie is definitely just the beginning of our summer Blockbusters, so many good previews before it... this summer might just beat last summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the wife to see it last night. She loved it. As soon as the film finished she was like "That was flipping awesome!" As for me, I must admit it was pretty good, far better than Wolverine which was dissapointing.
I thought it was well acted, managed to replicate well the humor of the older Trek movies and had some amazing special effects.
That being said something inside me is telling me not to like this movie. It was an outstanding sci-fi movie but it didn't wholey feel like 'Star Trek' to me. Maybe it's my diehard inside trekkie nerd not liking the direction they've taken.
But I must supress that feeling as none can deny that it was a damned good film.

I saw the preview for it when we went to see Watchmen, and I have to say I'm pretty excited about it! I'm gonna suggest to the boyfriend that we go see it this weekend.

Saw it last night too. I couldn't find any fault with the plot, it fits in with the rest of the star trek 'verse just as it should. At least every 2 -5 minutes they did or said something I loved. :p

My only complaint was this movie has a lot of beautiful scenes and props, but they give you no time to process anything. Everything just keeps moving so fast.

i gotta go see this movie from what i hear and seen in trailers so far looks like alot of action and story behind it.

RedTogusa said:
I went with the wife to see it last night. She loved it. As soon as the film finished she was like "That was flipping awesome!" As for me, I must admit it was pretty good, far better than Wolverine which was dissapointing.
I thought it was well acted, managed to replicate well the humor of the older Trek movies and had some amazing special effects.
That being said something inside me is telling me not to like this movie. It was an outstanding sci-fi movie but it didn't wholey feel like 'Star Trek' to me. Maybe it's my diehard inside trekkie nerd not liking the direction they've taken.
But I must supress that feeling as none can deny that it was a damned good film.

I agree with Red (except I loved the wolverine movie :p)...

I love this Star Trek movie, but it was missing something... Maybe it was the fact that they didn't play the Star Trek Theme music at the beginning of the movie? They didn't at all, not until the end of the movie anyways.

But it's a GREAT movie! Star Trek fans should not miss this... I just wish they would have played the theme music more often. To me, it helps give it that Star Trek feel.

pooper said:
But it's a GREAT movie! Star Trek fans should not miss this... I just wish they would have played the theme music more often. To me, it helps give it that Star Trek feel.

Yes! I missed not having the Trek theme too. The film didn't seem to have a stand out theme of it's own either.
Side note: the guy that played Chekhov was hilarious.

Being a die-hard, old-fashioned Trekkie myself, I can understand and sympathize with how you guys feel about the new movie lacking something (haven't seen it yet, just based on what I've seen of the props, costumes, sets, etc.).

As I'd said in another thread here not too long ago, though:

SPARTAN II said:
Though not cannon to what we know Star Trek to be, personally I think the new design for the Enterprise looks pretty kewl. Can't say the same for the props, though (clearly, Paramount designed those to easily be made into mass-produced toys). I mean, c'mon... a chrome-plated Hand Phaser? Ugh.

I also don't like how almost blindingly-bright they've made the sets. Reminds me of "Space 2001: An Odyssey" more than anything else.

But don't forget, considering how the franchise has kinda dwindled in recent years -- I think it was ST:ENT that kinda killed the whole thing (only four seasons; just one more than TOS) -- the studio is most likely trying to appeal to a new generation/audience not familiar with the franchise, in order to help make it popular again and bolster revenues.

That requires a few changes to be made to everything to make it look more kewl and modern.

You have to try and look at it, understand it, from a commercial perspective. Because, that's primarily how the big-wigs at Paramount are (the Star Trek franchise has always been a huge "cash cow" for them). And though all of us more old-fashioned, stoic Trekkies don't necessarily have to like that, we do have to accept it.

I for one am going to see it when it comes out on May 8th. You know, just to see what it's like.

That's pretty much the gist of it, imho. Opening night for the new film is tonight, but as I have a personal problem with opening nights, I won't be going.

Not going to bother with the huge crowds -- wouldn't get my seat -- or having to deal with some of the annoying younger folks. You know the type; the one's who don't stop talking (or constantly scream and giggle) throughout the movie. Ugh.

I'll try to go to it within the next week or so, and have the gf come along (she's big into Star Trek too, lol).

pooper said:
I love this Star Trek movie, but it was missing something... Maybe it was the fact that they didn't play the Star Trek Theme music at the beginning of the movie? They didn't at all, not until the end of the movie anyways.

i half way agree with this... when the movie started i was waiting, and waiting and waiting... but no star trek theme. i think the lack of it made the ending so much more epic.

in my opinion all the casting was PERFECT, everyone really played the part, and they all got there catch phrases in.

and who didnt cheer when Leonard Nimoy showed up as future Spock? there was a pretty loud cheer in theater i went to....

I particularly loved their phasers. How the barrel would flip around between kill and stun. The kill tip was red and the stun tip was blue, great idea.

I really liked the idea that Star Trek now (with it ending with the "alternate reality") has a clean slate, that they can literally rewrite Trek history. Opens it up for more movies or a new show!!! And we finally get to see Kirk's solution to the Kobayoshi Maru Scenario!!

i havnt seen star wars movies since i was like 6 used to know every line to got to see the origanals before the movei though so i dont miss any of it :D

Saw this yesterday. it was sooooooooooooooo good. I would totally see it again with a friend and will in fact try to. This is now one of my top 10 movies of all time.

It's the first Star Trek movie/episode I see and it was good.

I found the plot quite cheesy, maybe ST is just not for me ^^

As for the cast, I have to agree, it was perfect.

Simon Pegg was just awesome. All his sentences were funny. And his acting too.

I have to say it was amazing. I've never seen anything Star Trek related...not even an episode. In fact my Star trek knowledge was : spocks the guy with the pointy ears played by leonard nemoy...and scottys the scottish guy that beams them places lol...But this one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I went there expecting nothing but a watered down remake that the diehards would hate and that those of us who didnt know any better would just absorb it...The CGI was amazing and when they jump into warpspeed or whatever the theatre shakes. I really enjoyed it.

Go see it...

now

I took my mom and grandma to see it in IMAX as there mothers day gift. It was awesome! I only know some basics about Star Trek but I still really enjoyed it. I liked the story as well as the balance of kick @$$ graphics, action, and some comedy all mixed together and thrown on a massively huge screen. I'm thinking about seeing it a second time.

i think the plot was a little spotty in places, but i enjoyed the movie. everyone nailed their characters in my opinion. and i was and am a trek fan, so i was decently pleased.

on a different note- i loved the established progression of technology just from the very beginning to when kirk is an adult. the evolution of the starship.. and being a motorcycle mechanic, that was one sexy bike. i cant wait until someone posts a pep fil to that cop's mask.

dmage dame said:
i think the plot was a little spotty in places, but i enjoyed the movie. everyone nailed their characters in my opinion. and i was and am a trek fan, so i was decently pleased.

on a different note- i loved the established progression of technology just from the very beginning to when kirk is an adult. the evolution of the starship.. and being a motorcycle mechanic, that was one sexy bike. i cant wait until someone posts a pep fil to that cop's mask.

The movie was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was thinking the same thing! The bike cop's armor in pep ASAP! :D

mikedav17 said:
Who else loved Simon Pegg as Scotty?

A red shirt dies!

Funniest thing I've seen in a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back